• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Solved] Wc3 map file max size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
what is the Wc3 map file max size for single player and local area network?
and why is there a restriction for map size

Level 21
Single player maps have no other limits that what a player's computer can run.
In multiplayer, however the limit exists because having many people download huge maps could severely slow down the servers. In multiplayer the limit is 8MB. With multiplayer it doesn't matter if it's LAN or B-Net.

Level 25
Single player maps have no other limits that what a player's computer can run.
In multiplayer, however the limit exists because having many people download huge maps could severely slow down the servers. In multiplayer the limit is 8MB. With multiplayer it doesn't matter if it's LAN or B-Net.

It has nothing to do with the servers, since all map transfers are P2P.

There's no good reason why Blizzard shouldn't remove the limit.

Level 9
Ok. thanks for the info. +rep "SOLVED"

EDIT: thanks guys. i just needed to know the max map file size and why is there a limit because my map have long exceeded that restriction, knowing those there might be some way to remove the limit but i have decided to continue my map as Single Player with AIs

Level 16
Pherhaps the limit for LAN and BNET is 8MB for the fact that it would take too long to download the maps otherwise.

All maps on warcraft 3 are peer to peer (everybody downloads off the host). 4MB takes a while to download in the game room. 8MB kind of takes forever. Imagine there was no limit!!!

People want to jump into a game and start fast. They dont want to wait 15 minutes for each person to download this 40MB file size map. 8MB is bad enough, the limit is neccecary for casual players to play.

However its kind of a downfall if you have say set people to play with. This prevents the wait time, meaning no reason why the map should be restrained at 8MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.