• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

WARHAMMER: Winds of Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
WARHAMMER: Winds of Magic

PROGRESS:
IIIIIIIIII

This Thread will be used to update progress and hopefully recruit some members into the team aswel.

Game Summary:

An epic strategy map where players must control regions of the map by taking control points, set in Games Workshops WARHAMMER WORLD. Features 10 unique playable races and many events and goals players can trigger throughout the game. Players start with their own allies but you are free to make and break alliances whenever you want.

See below for screenshots including an overvew of entire map, remember this is a WIP so many regions have not yet been terrained.

Races/Factions:

(Allied Forces)
Chaos Hordes
Hero: Chaos Sorrcerer
Hero: Disiple of Khaine
Hero: (Unknown)

Demons of Chaos
Hero: Greater Demon of Nurgle
Hero: Greater Demon of Khaine
Hero: Greater Demon of Tzeelich

Dark Elves
Hero: Dark Elf Assasin
Hero: Hag Queen
Hero: Sorceress

(Allied Forces)
The Empire
Hero: Warrior Preist of Sigmar
Hero: Witch Hunter
Hero: Bright Wizzard
Hero: Elector Count on Griffin

Dwarves
Hero: RuneSmith
Hero: TrollSlayer
Hero: (Uknown)

High Elves
Hero: Mage Lord
Hero: Elven Ranger
Hero: Elven Prince
Hero: Dragon Lord

(Allied Forces)
Skaven
Hero: The Horned Rat
Hero: Clan Eshlin Assasin
Hero: Gray Seer

Greenskins

Vampire Counts
Hero: Vampire Count
Hero: Necrarch
Hero: Lahmian Sorceress

(Allied Forces)
Bretonian Kingdom
Hero: Fey Enchantress
Hero: Halfing Archer Captain
Hero: Knight of the Grail

Wood Elves
Hero: Mage Queen
Hero: Waywatcher Lord
Hero: Spell Singer

Every race will also have one type of special unit available to them, players may only train a limited amount of these powerful units at any one time.

Available Roles:
(Must have MSN or Yahoo messenger)
-Hero Ability and trigger helper: Help with triggers and ideas for Hero spells.
-Modeler: Does not need to be pro.
-Warhammer Lore expert: To help with ideas for races units and events.

Attachments

• 01 WH Map Overview.jpg
    01 WH Map Overview.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 2,967
  • 02 WH Sylvania.jpg
    02 WH Sylvania.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 3,839
  • 03 WH Karak Kadren.jpg
    03 WH Karak Kadren.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 607
  • 04 WH Empire Blockade.jpg
    04 WH Empire Blockade.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 753
  • 05 WH Elyrion.jpg
    05 WH Elyrion.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 1,329
  • 06 Phoenix Gate.jpg
    06 Phoenix Gate.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 774
  • 07 WH Har Ganeth.jpg
    07 WH Har Ganeth.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 719
  • 08 WH Chaos Gates.jpg
    08 WH Chaos Gates.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 717
  • 09 WH Erengrad.jpg
    09 WH Erengrad.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 1,253
Last edited:
Level 7
Thanks! I was thinking of adding Lizardmen But if you look at the first screenshot theres not realy enough room to include Lustria, the rectangle at the bottom left is saved for skaven Lairs and the dwarfe undercitys. Also who would they ally? Woodelves/Bretonia are the one only with just 1 ally and I cant really see them allying Lizardmen.

Hordes of Chaos has alot of Beasts of choas units included in their army, like centigors so they are kinda both, also HoC starts with a small force of bestmen in Loren forest as an early game threat to the wood elves.

That pic of queen elizabeth disturbs me :0

Level 5
Thanks! I was thinking of adding Lizardmen But if you look at the first screenshot theres not realy enough room to include Lustria, the rectangle at the bottom left is saved for skaven Lairs and the dwarfe undercitys. Also who would they ally? Woodelves/Bretonia are the one only with just 1 ally and I cant really see them allying Lizardmen.

Hordes of Chaos has alot of Beasts of choas units included in their army, like centigors so they are kinda both, also HoC starts with a small force of bestmen in Loren forest as an early game threat to the wood elves.

That pic of queen elizabeth disturbs me :0

Kewl :)

I just mentioned those two races in particular because they are the races I like most in Warhammer - I used to play Beastmen (no time now).

So you intend the game to be like Warhammer, where you deploy an army instead of build it? How are you going to have this done - will each game be the same as players will be given the same starting units every time, or will players be able to choose a "unique" force layout each time?

The second one would be better...but far more complicated, and the map already sounds like a mammoth project! :)

Queen Elizabeth is one hot mom :p

Level 7
Kewl :)

So you intend the game to be like Warhammer, where you deploy an army instead of build it? How are you going to have this done - will each game be the same as players will be given the same starting units every time, or will players be able to choose a "unique" force layout each time?

The second one would be better...but far more complicated, and the map already sounds like a mammoth project! :)

Well, have you played Azeroth wars? the economy is similar to that, the more control points you have the more income you get and you train troops at barracks. Otherwise if it was just starting units the game would be over in afew battles, using a unit spawning system dosnt require as much tactics to play so I went for control points.

You battle other factions for control of territory and CPs.
I should update the summary so people dont get confused.

Where iz da greenskinz picz, hummie???
Git 'im boyz!

lol I havnt got round to designing the greenskin race yet, I havnt even decided what heroes they'll have i need more ideas and don't want them to be exactly like Warcraft Orcs.

good luck with your project ;)

Level 35
Really, do stop linking to that site Dark Elfe. That site has game rips and it's against the rules, AS YOU'VE BEEN TOLD. Seriously, are you incapable of learning you lesson?

Anyway, on to the topic of this map idea. I have to be quite frank and say that it's been done. As far as I'm concerned this idea has been done and it shouldn't really be done again unless it's introducing something actually new (and no, I'm not talking about different lands and what not, I'm talking about different gameplay, or something more original).

This gameplay style is, imo, annoying, as you end up with lots of units to control and the games take forever to play (albeit it could be fun to play in a LAN). Anyway, that's my opinion on the gameplay style, which isn't a reason to forgo this mod (I am but ONE PERSON). However, what I will say is that at LEAST one Warhammer map with the same gameplay and same idea implementations already exists. Therefore making your idea seem somewhat unoriginal, even if you came up with it all by yourself.

My suggestion would be to think about what you're actually creating here (is it something new, or just another reinvention of the wheel?) and think about how you can change it, or better yet what kind of gameplay style HASN'T been done at all with the Warhammer style.

Anyway, that has been my 2 cents worth, so if you continue with this project, good luck, but I wouldn't reccomend it.

@DarkElf: Please don't link the 'site which must not be linked'.

@Wazzz: You're just discouraging him because you stopped your own project (joking) :p
Plus, the only thing I've seen similar to WH gameplay is Godfall Chronicles, and even that has many differences.

EDIT: My mistake, I thought this was a squad-based RTS.

Last edited:
Level 35
Talking out your ass again, are we GhostThruster?
A) I haven't stopped my own projects
B) This is not Warhammer themed gameplay. Rather it is yet another Risk Strategy Map done with Warhammer races and Warhammer Events and the likes.
C) If you have not seen a map like this, ask Cweener or ap0. I highly doubt the map I saw with this exact same idea would have slipped by them.

Additional: Never once did I discourage the OP from continuing this map. Rather, I suggested that he move it in a different direction. The Warhammer universe has been used a lot, but there's still a lot of different things you can do with it.

Last edited:
Level 7
@ WAZZ: While I respect your opinion I'm afraid I have to completely disagree with everything you've said.

Firstly can you link to where this idea has been done before? The only other Warhammer Fantasy, Risk style strategy maps I've seen are spawn based not control point based, none of them seem to be complete, all of them are badly terained and none of them live up the standards of Azeroth Wars LR by Eagleman (which is possibly the most successfull strategy map).

If a decent Warhammer Strategy map existed I'd be playing it instead of playing Azz wars and DAOW over and over again cos theyre the only decent Control point strategy maps out there. Show me a well made Warhammer Fantasy map with CP based gameplay, terrained to a good level and %100 finished and I'll happily stop my project, otherwise your point's pretty much invalidated.

Fair enough that you personaly don't like this style of map but there are plenty of people out there that do and hopefuly they will enjoy this map. Personaly I hate spawn based maps as you always need to keep scrolling back to your spawn points every few minutes and they require less strategy than CP based maps. Thats just my opinion.

@Mechanical Man: It's not realy that big, all objects have been scaled down to 80% to save room and add to the "epic" feel, the control point system is creating some lag though cos I'm not a pro at triggering and could do with someone to help check for leaks and general triggering.

@Ghostthruster: Squad based gameplay sounds fun but that would be quite hard to do on a map this size which includes all the lands of an entire game world. On a map this size you'd need big armies fighting over it, just having afew squad skirmishes here and there would be abit underwhelming. Maybe a good idea for another warhammer map though.

Level 35
I saw a map with the exact same idea on Battle.NET. The map is probably still on one of my other computers. If I need to back up the idea, I will get it.

One of the issues I have with such a gameplay style is that the terrain is so huge, there's so much to do, and you can only control up to 12 units per command group, making gratuitous numbers of units illogical. I would suggest using a Squad System in order to improve control over units as well as using a massive terrain to allow players to select certain 'playing zones' to do a much shorter combat style as the race of their choice (also to reduce lag).

Let's face it, this isn't the most original of ideas. I mean, basically what you're doing is recreating Azeroth Wars, but with Warhammer races. And even that's been done. What is going to be new about this? Is the only thing that's new about this that it has Warhammer races instead of Warcraft ones? o.0

@Mechanical Man: Oh man I forgot all about darth_vader88 XD
Nice spotting! O:

Level 3

I only wanted to help. Wanted that the visual part of the project more met to the chosen subjects. But if you like to recolour standard Paladin in yellow color and to him thus Warrior Preist of Sigmar-fine. Only on the most Warrior Priest he from it it will not be more similar (this concerns and to all rest).And still. links on which I gave model not ripped. All this author's models Warrior Priest for example differs from that that is we shall tell in Warhammer: Mark of Chos, Adept of Khorne I did not see at all in one game, and Greater Demon of Tzeelich in general is made on standard textures (I specially on this case have chosen his such version). Besides neither in Warhammer: Mark of Chos nor in Warhammer 40000: Down of War last was noticed not. So your claims to these models are not proved but probably the reason is covered absolutely in the friend. Perhaps all this of what XGM Russian site? If so that I any this is not surprised.

Level 35

I only wanted to help. Wanted that the visual part of the project more met to the chosen subjects. But if you like to recolour standard Paladin in yellow color and to him thus Warrior Preist of Sigmar-fine. Only on the most Warrior Priest he from it it will not be more similar (this concerns and to all rest).And still. links on which I gave model not ripped. All this author's models Warrior Priest for example differs from that that is we shall tell in Warhammer: Mark of Chos, Adept of Khorne I did not see at all in one game, and Greater Demon of Tzeelich in general is made on standard textures (I specially on this case have chosen his such version). Besides neither in Warhammer: Mark of Chos nor in Warhammer 40000: Down of War last was noticed not. So your claims to these models are not proved but probably the reason is covered absolutely in the friend. Perhaps all this of what XGM Russian site? If so that I any this is not surprised.

tl;dr
On another note, this is how you use quotes~

Status
Not open for further replies.