• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

War/AoS Terrain; 523kb load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I did not notice any particular rules in the Terrain Board, so please tell me if I've violated some rule in this post, I will fix it immediately.

First, I specifically did not use height mapping in this map, please don't point anything in regards to that out unless it's a really weird looking easy fix.

Secondly, the forest is specifically sparse, don't tell me to add more trees.

Third, if you have a negative opinion about something, give your reasoning/specific examples or I will ignore you.

TerrainImage1.jpg

TerrainImage2.jpg

TerrainImage3.jpg

TerrainImage4.jpg

TerrainImage5.jpg

Minimap.jpg

Lastly, does this look like a terrain that you would be willing to play a fast paced AoS style game on?

Level 5
Looks fine to me, it doesn't look flat at all, Just_Spectating

How can trees be strangely spread out? How is it strange?

Secondly, it's an AoS, the terrain shouldn't be the star of it.

Naga platform over water? Looks like it's on the cliff to me.

NinjasDontFight, what the hell are you talking about?

Aeroblyctos, like I said, terrain shouldn't be the star.

Lets quote something Weyrling said.
Weyrling said:
Third, if you have a negative opinion about something, give your reasoning/specific examples or I will ignore you.
Looks like he's ignoring all of you.

Overall, it's a good terrain, the water seems a little empty in the second to last picture. Fish?

I hope people actually look at your terrain and comment whats good on it. All I see here is negativity on how the terrain could be better, but not whats already good. People are also assuming AoS's should be symmetrical or some shit like that. AoSs should be have 'some' sort of storyline, not three magically created paths that lead to three points in an enemy base. Seriously, this place felt a lot more welcoming a year ago.

Level 2
It would make more sense if you made the terrain actually welcoming to the players themselves for map usage. Ganking, vantage points...
The screenshots angles you showed make no sense for a playable map.

Okay, first thing's first.
This is not a stereotypical AoS, as everybody generally assumes.
The point of this map isn't that you can hide 3 feet away from your enemy then appear in an instant, raping them.
My reasoning behind this map is to more closely simulate war.
As in, no single hero can defeat the entire enemy army without getting hurt.

Megafyr said:
It lacks rocks and looks really flat. I wouldn't go for those blizzard cliffs. Use raise terrain instead.
Weyrling said:
First, I specifically did not use height mapping in this map, please don't point anything in regards to that out unless it's a really weird looking easy fix.
Read what I've said first, maybe?
Height mapping just doesn't work from a unit vision perspective, as you can see over and through a 999999 height mapping cliff. Cliffs are just more useful from a gameplay perspective.

ArcticInferno said:
The trees are rather strangely spread out apart in the first picture, I hardly see the use in those trees lol.
Forests do not grow in walls. Secondly, this particular kind of forest is not the kind that blots out the sun.

Also, "use" in them? trees have no inherent usefulness, they're trees.

~Void~ said:
It's boring. Needs more eye candy.
Almost only valid point in thread, I agree.

Sworddragon said:
I forgot to add wildlife and such, thanks for reminder.

Sworddragon said:
I hope people actually look at your terrain and comment whats good on it. All I see here is negativity on how the terrain could be better, but not whats already good.
My dislike of the responses isn't that they are negative, it's that their criticism lacks the constructive part. Which, by the way, is the most important part.

IMO you need height because well, tell me of anywhere that's completely bloody flat except sudden giant rock cliffs, and tell me THAT'S realistic too? Some things - don't use canopy trees when they're sparse, canopies are for tree canopies as the name says, use the ordinary type of trees. You need more shrubs, flowers, shrooms, rocks, and a lot better tile variation as well as better tiles. Ashenvale water = ugly as shit if you didn't know, I'd base it off either sunken ruins or cityscape. Your path is completely rough dirt + wide, add in dirt & dirty grass and make some indents of grass or something into it, if you're aiming for realism, then currently it's not very realistic in the forest.

Level 2
You need more shrubs, flowers, shrooms, rocks, and a lot better tile variation as well as better tiles.
Masses of doodads? No.
To give credence to this decision, things like flowers and mushrooms actually have gameplay effects, spamming them can cause imbalance.
Tile variation, Better tiles? Please elaborate on this.

Your path is completely rough dirt + wide, add in dirt & dirty grass and make some indents of grass or something into it, if you're aiming for realism, then currently it's not very realistic in the forest.

The path has been beaten down by hundreds and hundreds of soldiers marching over it, there will not be grass and stuff growing on the path.

Unrealistic? Tell me how to fix it. "It's unrealistic" might be a good starting point, but if I post a terrain it's obviously a work I think is worth showing to other people, and/or I need help figuring out how to fix it.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic or anything, but "It sucks" doesn't help me at all.

Level 12
The use in trees and different height levels is being in the reason NinjasDontFight stated:

When u walk around in thick trees, the vision of you is covered up with fog, allowing additional heroes to sneak up on you then hit you from the back.

When escaping from a chasing enemy hero, you can walk in trees to obscure his vision and cancel his attack animations as you blend into the fog trees allow you to.

If escaping means running straight back to base straight, it'll be a tad boring for a fast paced action AoS map. You could do that, but if the enemy's movement is slower, doesn't that mean he'll never catch you? Or if your movement speed is slower, means your enemy hero is sure to catch you no matter how you run because there are no obstacles for you to confuse him around with?

Ganking simply means where more than one hero gangs up and hit you from the back, making sure you die.

Also, vantage points mean where someone is upslope and he has more sight of everything than the people who are standing on lower ground; the lower ground people cannot see the person on the vantage point but the person up there can see everything.

Did you know that ranged units attacking upslope have a higher chance of missing attacks?

I agree that the waterfall is quite cool, but it's not playable is it? I doubt players can even see it quite properly with the fog of war there.

I'm more on the playability/function side than the cinematic side.

Level 2
please go to a battle ground and look at the ground.
Please look at the path an army of a thousand men recently marched on.

I doubt players can even see it quite properly with the fog of war there.
Every high area that players can't reach is visible to everybody, just for that reason.

Also, I've done some modification with your feedback. I'm going to go ahead and upload the map here, so you guys can give me feedback on something other than my horrible screenshots.

Attachments

• Terrain.w3x
    90.9 KB · Views: 32
Level 12
Please look at the path an army of a thousand men recently marched on.

Every high area that players can't reach is visible to everybody, just for that reason.

Also, I've done some modification with your feedback. I'm going to go ahead and upload the map here, so you guys can give me feedback on something other than my horrible screenshots.

I'm just offering you some opinion on playability/fun. If you wanna be realistic about the path and all, fine, leave it flat.

btw, the waterfall and the river is awesome.

Attachments

• firelord.jpg
    firelord.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 80
Status
Not open for further replies.