• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Using Channel spell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
i need a fake spell ability to just cast at a point and do nothing.. the rest i do with triggers. can someone give me a demo map or screen shot of how to set the channel ability up right? i cant see the icon to use it after i pick it for a hero power. i havent messed around with channel much before..

Level 2
I would suggest channel actually, because you can base as many abilities as you want off of it and change the order ids.

As to why you can't see it: In the object editor, scroll down in your spell to look for Data - Options. Double click it to open a little window. Check "Visible" on. You need to do this for all of your spell levels.

Here's a helpful tutorial on channel.

Level 2
1) Add 'channel' (and 'stand') as strings to "Art - Animation Names" of an ability.
2) Remove all buffs and effects of the ability.
3) Set the casting time of the ability to whatever you want. (The time you want the hero/unit to stare at the same spot)

The attached file includes an example with the Death and Decay ability and an example with Mountain King's Storm Bolt ability.

Attachments

• trigger controlled channel spell.w3x
    16.7 KB · Views: 378
i need a fake spell ability to just cast at a point and do nothing.. the rest i do with triggers. can someone give me a demo map or screen shot of how to set the channel ability up right? i cant see the icon to use it after i pick it for a hero power. i havent messed around with channel much before..

be sure to check the option - visible of the hero spell channel or else you wont really see the icon...

Level 13
oh the visible option..

I cant just use blizzard or RoF as a dummy ability becuz i need this to work with any skill combo. so if the hero has that, and this ability im making it will cast both at once do to both being the same ability ID

Level 3
Just create a new spell based on Channel, if you want it to be channeled - make "Disable Other Abilities" to False, set the "Follow Through Time" to the duration of the channeling time that you want, tick "Visible" in the Options field and then if you want to use it as an AoE spell and want the targeting image to show up tick "Targeting Image" too and choose your "Target Type" to whatever you want to be required for a target of the spell, leave the Base Order ID to it's default (so it won't mess up with other spells if you do not base them on Channel with it's default ID), the rest is like a normal ability.
Duh.. it became a wall of text. I hope it's at least a bit useful to you. I may have few (or many..) mistakes in this, I'll be happy if someone confirm it to be true.

yea that was enough to get me goin i know how to use it now thanks :)

1 last thing though what is follow through time do?
and art duration is just how long the graphic affect lasts right?

yes, but if you set it to be longer than the "real" duration of the effect's animation then the effect will be looped...

Status
Not open for further replies.