• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Uploading Lost resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
We all know that the admins are currently discussing this matter, but I thought that that a debate on this matter could also be discussed by the users too.

What is your opinion on uploading "Lost Resources?"

Lost resources are Resources (Models, skins, etc.) That can no longer be obtained anywhere, and there is no way to contact the author.

Truth be told, I personally think that Lost Resources should be uploaded, so long if they are truly "Lost", and under the agreement that the uploader should credit the author, and remove the resources if the original author requests it.

However, not everyone will share the same opinion, which is why I'd like to know yours.

Discuss.

Level 13
No

If you don't upload it with the permission of the original maker, then don't upload it. End of story

That should apply when there is a way to contact the author, but what if there is no way? Especially when the resources could be quite helpful (or tone down on some requests... I'm joking, I'm not going to use that as a stepping stone. Low blow.)

There are other places to upload such stuff than the Hive. Use the different fileshare websites there is and link to them or something.

Isn't that violating the rules?

What does that mean? I've seen it a few times yet I can never figure it out.

Level 32
As a general rule, the answer to this question is:
No

If you don't upload it with the permission of the original maker, then don't upload it. End of story
That should apply when there is a way to contact the author, but what if there is no way? Especially when the resources could be quite helpful
This is a VERY touchy subject.

How is the site best to balance (what many would consider to be) intellectual property theft with what may be best for the Warcraft III community as a whole: making such archaic "lost resources" available in the public domain.

Believe it or not some authors, Black_Stan for example, DO NOT want their creations made widely available.

For my own part I really wish that maps (like Kaggz RPG - TFT Shadows of Evil 0.89.w3x for instance) and other resources might be made available for public consumption by the site itself if they are TRULY "lost" and the original author cannot be contacted.

A great deal of further discussion and exploration of this issue will be necessary before a definitive, final decision can be reached.

[off topic] QFT = Quoted For Truth :grin:

Still, some resources should be re-uploaded, I mean those which were avalaible previously on wc3sear.ch until the end and on hive before the import. Some examples are: all starcraft models, BlinkBoy's napoleonic infantry and some my models (which I will reupload then after I polish them).

Killst4r surely did not delete his models as his last visit was long ago, the same with BlinkBoy.

Level 24
IF multiple persons have attempted to contact the author, and none of them have received an answer, i say full steam ahead for uploading it. it should be properly credited, properly described (path, animations for models, stuff like that) and properly credited again.

Edit: lol if i'm only replying to the post under mine, i'm going to edit my last post from now on. anyways, that would definitely have to happen.

Last edited:
Level 45
Crediting means jack people. Its not about what people want or if the models are cool or needed, its the authors decision and its about respect. If a resource is down, then its down..try looking else where because this place is YOUR content only atm, and i would never allow others to upload peoples work, i have to sort through all the stolen stuff you know? Its bs when they say "credits to ____, remember to credit me!" yet they did jack and it would only encourage stealing and abuse of the privilege.

Mind you, this is my personal view, and I'm not happy today...

Level 12
Well come on, technically isnt taking all of wc3sear.ch's resources over to the hive not exactly 100% ok?

But we all love Ralle for it.
If a few download links are broken here and there may as well repair them.

Level 24
Crediting means jack people. Its not about what people want or if the models are cool or needed, its the authors decision and its about respect.
crediting means you have the decency to acknowledge who has contributed to your map.

If a resource is down, then its down..try looking else where
agreed...

because this place is YOUR content only atm, and i would never allow others to upload peoples work, i have to sort through all the stolen stuff you know? Its bs when they say "credits to ____, remember to credit me!" yet they did jack and it would only encourage stealing and abuse of the privilege.
i believe that if "this place" is THW, then it's for everybody's content, if it's up here then you're allowed to use it, and crediting becomes a matter of moral decency, not theft. proper crediting would increase the contributor's reputation, not to mention crediting things like "and everybody at http://www.hiveworkshop.com" would increase traffic flow here. i understand that theft is a problem, if i would use resources, i would get permission if i could, or credit like "shamelessly taken from <this person/place>, <this person's/place's homepage>, many thanks for not suing"

i'm not quite sure what else "this place" could be, and you're welcome to let me know.

Mind you, this is my personal view, and I'm not happy today...
fair enough. bad days are very unfun.

Level 14
Well perhaps it shouldnt be that an individual that can upload a lost resource. Instead they could contact an admin and maybe one of them can create an account like LostResourceUploader or something like that. It could be debated whether or not it should be uploaded and if it is uploaded, it is thanks to no particular person and only the author would get credit. And there also could be an added classification as "lost" so they could be kept track of.

Level 13
I really don't want to gain anything from uploading other people's models, so don't have any rewards in my opinion, it's a test of whether they just want rep, or if they really want to help the Wc3 communtiy.

Level 24
The problem is.. people will start dumping, finding as many models as they can and submitting them so they can gain the privileges and respect they want, but for the wrong reasons. Theft i suspect will be high since we would have to be more loose aswell.

Its a Database, not a Datadump.

like i said, SEVERAL people must contact the author and fail to receive responses, maybe even require that one of them is a mod/admin. if that hasn't been done with the author's resources, delete everything the of the author's that s/he hasn't uploaded himself/herself and neg rep the people that posted them. Denu's idea is pretty good too

Status
Not open for further replies.