• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Updates to JASS Checker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Note: The JASS Checker has been reverted to the old version for now because of recently discovered instabilities.

I have just updated the JASS checker with a new feature I have been working on the past few months. It is super technical, so to sum it up, it is now more precise with reporting leaks than before.

The long story is this: The JASS checker performs a static analysis of the JASS in a map. What this means is that it does not run the JASS code but sort of looks at it. The limitation is that it might not know what value a variable has so in the case of an if-statement, it would have to assume that the 'then' statements are executed and then the 'else' statements and their results are combined.
However, in this latest version it makes an attempt to keep track of the value of things. This was super important to make the JASS checker more precise, especially because the blizzard.j file makes use of the global variable bj_wantDestroyGroup to determine whether the helper function must deallocate an allocation inside an if-statement. Because of the former way this was done, it had to assume that the allocation was never leaking and thus failed to report leaks in worry that they might be false positives.

I made a mess of this. The JASS checker is complex and pretty good. Use it!

Last edited:
Level 11
I tried your JassChecker on some of my maps.
It hasn't found any leaks but I also was pretty sure that it won't find any in the maps that ran properly through your JASS checker.
However, for some maps JASS Checker simple hang up and even the entire site stopped responding to my requests.

For future updates to the hive it would be awesome to automatically run JASS Checker over all newly uploaded maps and badge those that are found to be leak free!

Regards,
Robbepop

Level 4
Now sure where is the bug section for this, but when I upload big .j files (4-5mb) it gives
A server error occurred. Please try again later.

Is it a server error or it could be a jass checker error? There is no way to run it locally right?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.