• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Unstable Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I have a weird problem. I've replaced some of the attack sounds with external sound files. For example: I have a Marine in my map that is using Warden Attack sound (by default) When I replace it with an external sound, it plays the newly imported gun firing sound. No problems at this point. But the weird thing is (and I am almost sure: game engine has something to do with it) that I hear difference in sound frequencies during combat. Like it is being slowed at the ending parts when it is played(which makes it sound more "bass") (I don't know the techinal words here exactly to describe how the sound "sounds" =) )

It doesn't happen all the time. It plays normal at attack 1, different in attack 2, normal in attack 3 etc..
What I am saying is, sound is not the same with each attack. It is not like hearing the same sound in media player loop mode. It differs.
I believe anyone can notice it, but I still wanted to explain it in detail =)
I've recorded the sound into a mp3 file, you can check it out here.
If you can't notice a difference; grab the original sound file here and play it on loop with media player. Surely you will notice the difference right then =)
I need help with this.
How do I make the sound play stable every time?

Level 8
Why would the game play a imported sound at a lower frequency some of the time? mmm thats strange.

It could possibly be your getting some lag. Any sound slowed down would be reproduced at a lower frequency causing it to sound deeper.

Although I've never experienced this myself, except for just playing around with a sound file.

Is this the only time you've experienced this problem?

I listened to the sound files you provided and it seems the problems in the sound file itself and not the game.

I've made and imported sounds into WC3. Never had a problem like you've described.

Last edited:
Level 8
Before I knew I could change Attack Sound paths with Node Manager (of Model Editor), I used a lame way to produce sounds =)
1-) I created a dummy each time a unit attacked,
2-) Made dummy cast inner fire (with no actual effect),
3-) Replaced sound effect of Inner Fire with Gun Sound, so the gun sound played =)
With this method, there wasn't a problem like that. But it wasn't effective. And there was a problem of multiple sounds producing if attacker switched to another target fast enough.
Did you listen both of the sound files I've recorded and noticed the difference?

Level 8
That was the previous method I used. Currently, I've replaced existing unit attack sounds and changed the Attack - Sound path of imported models (as I explained in my first message and second =p) Strange.. This shouldn't happen..

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You have not been paying attention to WC3 ingame much? Inorder to stop attack sounds from becomming stupidly repetitive, it randomises their pitch slightly. It must obviously be doing the same to your imported sound as it is subject to the same pitch randomisation.

Level 8
Like I said, if the mechanics of variable and random pitch are a problem, use a different sound where it is not a problem.
I am not sure that I know how to achieve that. I wil try changing sound path with an ability sound, that might work.
Edit:
Tried and it worked. If anyone else encounters something like this, change attack sound path with an non-attack based sound. (Prefably an ability)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.