• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Units that Didn't make the Cut

Do you think they shold have taken out units like the Twilight Archon?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
What i want to know is why certain units that seem like really good ideas didn't make the cut. Like i thought the twilight archon was amazingly awsome. But now they took that out. and also why havent they updated the Terran and Protoss sections and put in the Zerg section yet?

Level 4
I still thoguht the Twilight Archon would have been good, but oh well. Also, did you think they should have kept the name "Nullifier" or do you like "Disruptor" more?

I think nullifier was lame. It's like.. null.. makes something null.. wait, what?
Same goes with all this stuff about "void".
This is what merriam webster has to explain about the word "void":

Etymology: Middle English voyde, from Anglo-French, from Vulgar Latin *vocitus, alteration of Latin vocivus, vacivus empty, from vacare to be empty
Date: 14th century

1 a : not occupied : vacant <a void bishopric> b : not inhabited : deserted
2 : containing nothing <void space>

Yeah. pretty much the same as null. Empty.

Then listen to the stalkers sound set. It's like void all over. And twilight. It doesent make sense.
Just makes me think about a certain banned terrainer of ours.

Level 4
Yea i have to admit stalkers and immortals are a pretty good trade compared to dragoons. But they did ake out medics and firebats for terrans for medivacs and marauders, which i think they should have kept medics if not also firebats. I do think zergling units got some good buff ups for nit choices now though. banelings and roaches allwo the zerg ot be alot more versatile.

Level 22
Oh wow, I didn't notice Medics are gone... they were needed. I can't imagine terran without them, even if from the few replays I saw in SC Terrans go tanks, vultures and goliaths than medics and marines, i.e not used in SC as well.

And a healing Dropship is weirding me out > < Blizzard were like: Terran already have a lot of units, we can't add another, so let's merge medic and dropship into one. They could've at least made healing reapers or some ground units.

Level 4
Ill admit it is effective for ghost nuke droppng (like from battle report 4), but medics were cheap and massproducable infantry as opposed to a slightly high tier dropship that costs alot more resources. als, even if it is in the galactic editor and campaign, this still means normal melee maps will lack this aspect now and will need to search for other ways to try and keep their unit deaths down from this obvious weakness.

I think it's nice, because infantry is very strong in SC2, like marauders for example, who seems to maul down almost any mechanical unit in no time. Excluding the regular medic unit makes the medivac into more of a revival of the infantries in the mid game where genuine anti-infantry units like the colossus might be munching them down a bit too much.

Level 40
It certainly will cut down the M&M spam in TvZ, but is that really a bad thing? Might encourage some more mech or alternate strategies on the Terran side, which is especially important with the departure of Plague and Dark Swarm.

Keep in mind Medics were already around and were specifically discarded for the desire of something which was both more original and perhaps better fitting the SC2 environment. This isn't Starcraft 3d.

Level 4
Now that you guys put it lieke that i see your point. but also this means ,edivacs can be very vulnerable to units like pheonixes and mutalisks, which can be a real problem for them late game if the opponet (like protoss) specializes in alot of air tech. and also this makes the terran player very vulnerable to zerg rushes if they cant get bunkers up fast enough, and also most anti infantry units will most likely will kill their prey with very few weak survivors. medivacs also cant be used enmasse for higher costs. of course like i said before this does support medivac-ghost-nuke combo.

Level 22
The question is: will SC2 strats use more infantry than vehicles or vise-versa? In SC BW Terran would mostly use siege tanks, vultures, goliaths and sometimes may add vessel, wraiths, etc. Marines and Medics werent that used, will players be massing vehicles over inf is the question.

Level 4
@Terran: i think that, from what i say, it depends on what terran are fighting against. infantry are more used in TvZ, and Vehicles in TvP

@Purple: yea normally but pheonixes can overload now and do massive damage to weak and massed units like marines, and then if the medivacs can get to safety and some marines, there wont be many left to heal. protoss are very heavy in air support so marines wont be able to take out everything the protoss air forces throw at them.

Well, the reason it's called medivac is that if danger approaches, it can just pick up all the marines and fly away. The units are healed inside. Besides, medics are about as vurnerable to ground as medivacs are against air, at least with some good micro from the opponent.

I am gonna miss the medic though, remember once when i played against a friend and i didn't want to block the exit to my base with bunkers (so that i could spam out marines), so instead i put up a line of medics and told them to hold ground. When he attacked them with his zerglings they would just heal eachother, and i could just safely stand with my marines behind and pick them off. :)

Level 19
Well, the reason it's called medivac is that if danger approaches, it can just pick up all the marines and fly away. The units are healed inside. Besides, medics are about as vurnerable to ground as medivacs are against air, at least with some good micro from the opponent.

I am gonna miss the medic though, remember once when i played against a friend and i didn't want to block the exit to my base with bunkers (so that i could spam out marines), so instead i put up a line of medics and told them to hold ground. When he attacked them with his zerglings they would just heal eachother, and i could just safely stand with my marines behind and pick them off. :)

It's still in the campaign. :p

Level 40
@Purple: yea normally but pheonixes can overload now and do massive damage to weak and massed units like marines, and then if the medivacs can get to safety and some marines, there wont be many left to heal. protoss are very heavy in air support so marines wont be able to take out everything the protoss air forces throw at them.
I'm not certain Overload hits ground. Anyhow, assuming it does, they will end up similar to mutalisks: fast air units deadly against ground due to vollies hitting several enemies and doing high damage. The problem with marines is that they take out these types of units before they even get to shoot.

Level 4
I'm not certain Overload hits ground. Anyhow, assuming it does, they will end up similar to mutalisks: fast air units deadly against ground due to vollies hitting several enemies and doing high damage. The problem with marines is that they take out these types of units before they even get to shoot.

Marines cant kill everything. they are a basic unit. and besides, if needed, even a few cruiser with full interceptor stock could kill ythe marines with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.