• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Tool for attaching vertices to bones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Are there any free modeling tools/programs that can attach vertices to bones? I use MdlVis, but it always messes up normals of the model. Model Editor can only attach entire geoset to a single bone as far as I know. I also read somewhere that maybe it's possible to do it with Notepad, but I have no idea how.

EDIT: I found a way to fix normals in Notepad. It turned out to be much easier than I expected. Case closed.

Last edited:
Level 21
Unfortunately, you'll have to use a real 3D model editor for proper bone assignment. The good news is; there's some that are free, like GMAX.
Thanks for the info, but GMAX looks a bit too complicated for me...(I don't even know how to open models with it)
Perhaps a better question is: Are there any free tools that can I could use to manually adjust the normals that always get messed up in MdlVis?

Last edited:
I don't know about any tools that are compatible to mdx files by default other than vertexmodify and mdlvis.

Don't get scared by Gmax. There's plenty of tutorials on this site about modelling with Gmax or 3dsmax (both basicly work the same, as Gmax is just a very old version of 3dsmax). You're just wasting your time if you try to do complex stuff like bone rigging with mdlvis.

Level 21
I don't know about any tools that are compatible to mdx files by default other than vertexmodify and mdlvis.

Don't get scared by Gmax. There's plenty of tutorials on this site about modelling with Gmax or 3dsmax (both basicly work the same, as Gmax is just a very old version of 3dsmax). You're just wasting your time if you try to do complex stuff like bone rigging with mdlvis.
I searched for some tutorials, and found that I need to run some kind of script in order to open .mdl files, but where to get it and how exactly to use it? Could you maybe give some links?

Status
Not open for further replies.