• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Tiny-RPG [Codename]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Tiny-RPG [Codename]
By Captain Griffen

Outline
A single player RPG, set in an original universe. It may be somewhat clichéd in its creation, but it damned well knows that it is and sometimes even mocks itself.

Story
Stuff happens. You'll find out the story when you play the RPG. It's hopefully pretty good, though.

Features
- A (hopefully) good storyline.
- Various characters.
- Witty dialogue.
- More interesting combat than most RPGs.
- Various systems to improve gameplay.
- Skippable dialogue.
- Checkpoint system.

Skippable Dialogue
Dialogue that is not linked to actions remains up until passed on by pressing the 'escape' key, allowing you to go as fast or as slow as you read; the system works flawlessly as far as I can tell - it looks good, and makes the game flow much better.
(Credit to Anitarf for most of the ideas for that)

Checkpoint System
At various points in the game (fairly regularly), you pass a checkpoint. Data is saved, and you can reload the game there after you die without reloading the level (I'll probably add a menu opening ability at some point). You can start a new game, continue from the last checkpoint, or load any checkpoint you have passed.

It should be noted that these are saved in gamecache, and should, aside from any major variable changes, carry on from version to version without any issues, which is a great plus for testing and updating.

Progress
I hope to release the RPG in episodes. At present, the two systems above are done, and I have around 10-15 minutes of gameplay done. Within a week, I hope to have the gameplay done for the first episode, and then I'll hand it over to someone to terrain and get testing of it done.

Last edited:
Level 14
Level 27
I played it and it was very fun =D

Actually everything had a grip on the from the start because of the unique combat system you use (Is it unique? i've never seen it before). But seriously, this kicks ass.

Although you might do a bit more about the terrain, but i don't know what you planned here and there. I Suggest you raise those Blizz rocks into the ground so you cant see the small ones around them.. that looks better when they have been sized. And its also quite flat. so ill hope you improve the terrain and that this was just an example of what you have.

This gameplay + good terrain = ub0r pwnz0r =p

Level 34
Awesome. Simply awesome. I was disappointed when it ended so soon. : )

I have not played many wc3 games that had me entertained in the cut scenes. Good script, very good.

The game play is fairly well made. I found it hard though. How do you fight a whole bunch of enemies? All I could do is attack, block and run to get health back.

Level 20
Have you been thinking about using many (maybe 4) block abilities, so they all have such a long cooldown (not shared),
so the player needs to used different block ability on each time when he needs a fast block.

And hotkeys would be Q, W, E and R.
For an example it would have 8s cooldown / Block ability, it's a long cooldown so your need to use all of them.
Maybe do QWER, but if you go into a panic and mess up, it would be something like QEWREQQRQEWQREWQREW.

It's just an idea, and maybe if you make multiple characters this would be one of the unique character things. (?)

And some charaters are maybe fasters than others. Hmn . . .

Level 27
Yeah you could make a great combat system with this.

Like maybe make a system where you have 4/5 skills and use QWER(T) like the one here above said. Only i dont get the different blocking abilities? why not just be able to learn spells like warstomp and summon thingies? would be much faster paced and not boring at all .. some variation in battles =)

Status
Not open for further replies.