• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

The Volcano

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I'm tired of all the stuff that gets uploaded here with cheesy lava and even cheesier rocks (no offense to those who post such things). This is what a volcanic eruption really looks like!

You may recognize the mountain I based this on.

Comments and criticism always welcome. Enjoy.

Attachments

• Volcano 2.png
    Volcano 2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,568
Level 15
very nice, but something feels weird... maybe the fact, that snowy volcano comes right from snowless ground? if it is the height, where mountains become snowy, then why other mountain don't have snow?

Level 4
I don't think the whole mountain should be snowy, only the tip of it. Judging by the looks of the mountain, everything else should be covered in snow too.

Level 12
Umm, that smoke looks like it was edited in GIMP...

It wasn't. I don't even use GIMP.

Basically, I took the Smoke Smudge doodad, turned it on its side, and scaled it up x30, so that I had a huge, black, semitransparent, circle. I copied and pasted that until I had a huge, black cone, then placed a few of B2M's Cloud Model: http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=98645 in front of the black cone, tinted at 32;28;16, to give it a smoother, more realistic appearance. Finally, I took some http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/cloudoffog-53864/?prev=search%3DSmoke%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20
and spammed it around the cone for the final effect.
(Steps show below).

P.S. @~Void~: Nice job knowing which mountain I based it on.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 111
Level 18
i like that smoke effect.

and its a unique mountain, different then alot of other volcanoes.

However, with something like this, you should continue to enhance the terrain, Like give it a nice fog, sky, etc...

and ohh, make the smoke effect HUGER like, on top of the mountain, make it like cover the whole sky

Status
Not open for further replies.