• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

The story of Samuel Griswold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Well, this is my first paragraph of my first ever personal project for a story! Hope you like it!

[FONT=&quot]I continued forward, rushing for the other side of the woods, not even daring to look behind me. I urged forwards, draining every part of energy from me. I couldn't run any more, but wait, what was I running from? It seems miscellaneous that I decided to run from something that wasn't following me...
"Be brave Sam," I told myself "be brave and turn around."
So I did. What was there except hedges, leaves and tree trunks? Nothing, which was the scary part. I looked around and around, still, silence. The breeze flew around in the treetops causing them to rustle as if something was vigorously shaking the tree. I felt the tension build up inside me, waiting to burst in a shower of bawls and hollers. The tension, it feels so... so violent, so, what's the word, ah, yes, vehement. I had a slight inkling of what was going to happen next.
"HELP! SOMEBODY! YAARGH!" I barked. "FOR GOD'S SAKE IF YOU CAN HEAR ME NOW, PLEASE HELP ME!" I heard leaves rustling, what could this be now?
"Hey!" uttered a rough voice from behind me. I sharply spun around to find an old hiker and a rather young lady. "We heard ya shoutin', thought ya mighta needed a lil bit o' help!" There was a rather twisted silence until I shattered it and replied
"Sure, a bit of help would help me a lot, of course." We made our way out of the woods; the day was a rather rapturous, but spiteful day, one of which would be a good excuse for a warm mug of hot cocoa.
"So, what's ya name, young man?"
"Oh, me, I'm Sam Griswold, aged 14.2
"Ach, aren't ya a bit young to be gettin' around a wood alone on the 23rd of December?"...[/FONT]

To be continued!

There, are you happy now elf?

Last edited:
Level 27
Pretty strange story. But it isnt finished offcourse. Would like to know how it proceeds. But since when can you 'Urge' forward? i mean.. i would use it in a sentence like 'I urged for blood' (raw example) or something but to 'urge forward'? does that exist? just curious...

Level 17
0. So you mean it's good?
1. I have used proper grammar, learn English
2. I have put in commas somewhere, and that IS the 1st paragraph
3. Capitalization IS there -_-
4. I have made a new line per NEW speaker, except THW posting cut it down
5. We're mainly reading in class, what good is that gonna do me?

Level 36
Dialogue does not work that way. It's new speaker, new paragraph. For example:

Brad yelled at Ragingspeedhorn, "Do more work you lazy bastard! Ralle will kill us both if you don't get it done!" As he yelled, Brad paced up and down, clearly very worried about the situation.

Ragingspeedhorn, in return, yelled back "To hell with Ralle, i'm a lazy bastard! You know it, I know it, and he knows it. Why you expect me to do work, I can't imagine." He jumped out of his chair, and made to confront Brad.

"Well, it does say Forum Moderator beneath your name, does it not?" Inquired Brad.

"That it does, but it's just a title. I don't take it very seriously, and nor should you," Ragingspeedhorn laughed and sat down again.

"Well, i'm sure Ralle promoted you for a reason," Brad attempted to assure both himself and Ragingspeedhorn.

"Take it up with him if you'd really like to know," Ragingspeedhorn was off in space.

"Perhaps I will then," Brad replied, and he yelled upstairs "Ralle! I have a dispute about Ragingspeedhorn's position as a moderator!" He sat back down and waited for Ralle to appear. Much to his surprise, Ralle materialized several feet in front of him.

Ragingspeedhorn yawned. "Good day Ralle."

This is a random example that has little to do with anything, but it shows you how to format dialogue properly.

Lux

Lux

Level 2
As far as I know, works of literature in French, Spanish, and Portuguese all follow formats similar to the one brad.dude03 outlined above: a new indented line every time a character other than the current speaker begins a line of speech.

Level 36
And I quote for you, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, written by an author in the UK.

'So- back again Harry?'
Harry felt as though his insides had turned to ice. He looked behind him. Sitting on one of the desks by the wall was none other than Albus Dumbledore. Harry must have walked straight past him, so desperate to get to the mirror he hadn't noticed him.
'I - I didn't see you, sir.'
'Strange how short-sighted being invisible can make you,' said Dumbledore, and Harry was relieved to see that he was smiling.
'So,' said Dumbledore, slipping off the desk to sit on the floor with Harry, 'you, like hundreds before you, have discoverd the delights of the Mirror of Erised.'
'I didn't know it was called that, sir.'
'But I expect you've realised by now what it does?'
'It- well- it shows me my family-'
'And it showed your friend Ron himself as Head Boy.'

This is proper writing format, and there is a small ident before each piece of dialogue, but I can't be arsed to reproduce them. That, is how you write in novel format.

Status
Not open for further replies.