• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

The Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Felt like creating a gloomy terrain, feedback is appreciated.
EDIT: Added an updated pic.

Attachments

• The Storm.png
    The Storm.png
    1,013.9 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Level 17
The background is an awesome piece of work. However the foreground is a tad to dark to make the composition look brilliant. A torch or something would help improving the composition while still keeping it realistic. Right now it is too dark.

Well its a cave, its supposed to be dark :p Also if its bright outside in your area everything always seems darker on the computer screen (its cloudy here so the terrain doesn't seem too dark for me). I might add a torch later tho.

Oh and thanks for the nice comments :)

Level 23
Well its a cave, its supposed to be dark :p Also if its bright outside in your area everything always seems darker on the computer screen (its cloudy here so the terrain doesn't seem too dark for me). I might add a torch later tho.

Oh and thanks for the nice comments :)

I am of course aware that a cave is a dark place, but this is a screenshot terrain and therefore composition is really important. Right now your composition is in my opinion destroyed by a to huge space of the whole screenshot being nearly black. Of course it is caused by a realistic fact. However this does not change, that the composition could be improved ;)

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I am of course aware that a cave is a dark place, but this is a screenshot terrain and therefore composition is really important. Right now your composition is in my opinion destroyed by a to huge space of the whole screenshot being nearly black. Of course it is caused by a realistic fact. However this does not change, that the composition could be improved ;)
I would've agreed if it was pitch black, but as I can clearly see the contours it doesn't pull any attention away from the imagery in my oppinion.
On the contrary I think it boosts the atmosphere.

Level 8
It's really, really good. You got skills :) and I have to agree with fladdermasken, I think the pitch black inside the cave really sells this screenshot.

@m0rbid, I don't see that much difference between the lighting in this terrain screenshot, or the lack of lighting, and the lighting that you heavily use. I was unable to see a great deal of the city in 1930 due to the lighting being so heavy.

Level 23
The difference is, that this is like a frame, however the frame takes more than half of the whole screenshot.
And I would love to see the contoures a bit better to get rid of this strange feeling of a nearly half black screenshot.
Because right now, I cannot see the contoures very good!

Level 17
The difference is, that this is like a frame, however the frame takes more than half of the whole screenshot.
And I would love to see the contoures a bit better to get rid of this strange feeling of a nearly half black screenshot.
Because right now, I cannot see the contoures very good!

Try looking at the terrain in the evening, when its dark outside. I can see the brownish rocks in the cave just fine, its nowhere near pitch black. Can you even see the Medivh in the cave?

Level 15
You really need to improve that water stream in the cave. Give it a much "fuller" look. I also think you should hang those vines from the trees b/c it would give the whole piece a more 3-dimensional look and also give the trees that sort of sappy willow-like feel that they should have (this ones just a personal opinion though).

You might try what M0rbid said and put a light source in the cave. A single light source (I think) would actually exacerbate the dark feel of the map b/c it would create a juxtaposition between light and dark and the viewer would be able to see just how dark and gloomy the picture really is. Ofcourse it might also look terrible, I don't really know, but it's worth a try.

Looks great overall btw ^-^

Level 8
You really need to improve that water stream in the cave. Give it a much "fuller" look. I also think you should hang those vines from the trees b/c it would give the whole piece a more 3-dimensional look and also give the trees that sort of sappy willow-like feel that they should have (this ones just a personal opinion though).

You might try what M0rbid said and put a light source in the cave. A single light source (I think) would actually exacerbate the dark feel of the map b/c it would create a juxtaposition between light and dark and the viewer would be able to see just how dark and gloomy the picture really is. Ofcourse it might also look terrible, I don't really know, but it's worth a try.

Looks great overall btw ^-^

Actually that's not a bad idea. I would try giving Medivh a torch (though you might use a different model then as Medivh is already holding his staff, not really sure how it would look as I've never used weapon attachments before) using this model http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/torch-attachment-108316/?prev=search%3Dtorch%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20.

There's also a blue torch model here http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/blue-torch-attachment-108401/?prev=search%3Dtorch%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20

Level 18
Ok hmmm

First screen: You can definitly feel the atmosphere in here although there is somthing i dislike wich is the wave of water in the cave it somhow looks out of place in my opinion but besides this i love it.

Second screen: Mostly same like the first one but i like what you did with the majiev on the left it makes the cave feel warm and safe.

All by all 9/10 do somthing about the water thing in the cave :p o and +rep for the terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.