• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Texturing Contest theme submission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 49
I can offer an intresting theme for texturing contest, which will slightly increase texture section size and actualy will be intresting for HWS worker-bees, means designers, artists and others.
Theme is "Upgrade me!".

Pick 1 unit and make him two different equial upgrades, which both can be used in same project with the basic unit.

Few examples:
1. Basic unit: Priest
1.1 Upgrade 1: Battle Priest (healer) with mostly healing and defensive abilities
1.2 Upgrade 2: Bishop (debuffer, sorceror) with mostly abusing abilities.

2. Basic unit: Footman
2.1: Upgrade 1: Capitan (lower damage, high life and auras)
2.2: Upgrade 2: Mercenary (higher damage potential)

Criteries:
1. Skins Artistic Quality (quality of textures)
2. Lore quality [realism] (we see logical upgrade of a basic unit into some advanced version of it, not a necromancer which become a demon hunter)
3. Creativity (not just a same concept with recolor and scratches)

And these should be made on a same unit concept just with reworked texture.

Range of available units: any Orc, Elf, Human, Undead minion.

Level 25
I actually really like this theme! This could be very interesting to do.
470.jpg

Your ideas contradict your given examples.

Let me grab the gist first:
  1. If I understood this correctly, you intend to host a fusion of concept art and texturing.
    Don't get me wrong, this is always the case, it just feels like it's an even stronger connection this time around.
  2. The contestants are to create two skins for the same chosen model.

Now, let's take the mage for this one.
The example you give shows two aspects of his skills [abusive, dark / supporting, light]
--> two different concepts that share one trait, [Magic].

An "upgrade" would be Apprentice / Master Wizard. --> same concept, but with adaptions to display improvement.

So, which one of those two possibilities do you actually suggest for point 2 of my prementioned list?
Both are pretty interesting and offer freedom of creativity.

Level 49
Your ideas contradict your given examples.

Let me grab the gist first:
  1. If I understood this correctly, you intend to host a fusion of concept art and texturing.
    Don't get me wrong, this is always the case, it just feels like it's an even stronger connection this time around.
  2. The contestants are to create two skins for the same chosen model.

Now, let's take the mage for this one.
The example you give shows two aspects of his skills [abusive, dark / supporting, light]
--> two different concepts that share one trait, [Magic].

An "upgrade" would be Apprentice / Master Wizard. --> same concept, but with adaptions to display improvement.

So, which one of those two possibilities do you actually suggest for point 2 of my prementioned list?
Both are pretty interesting and offer freedom of creativity.

idea was a advanced reskin a basic unit into two units, which both are equial to a UNIT+Advanced upgrade.
Pick any unit, change his basic stats, remove damage, add more defense, edit him and make a skin. And one skin should be a directly dependent on a main unit, that means, if a main unit is a sorceress with hex and shit, so, this upgrade should use the same parameters, same skills (maybe advanced versions), and be the same, but upgraded.
So, finaly each contestant should show us 3 things: Basic unit, Advanced version, alternative version. Which first is a main, advanced shows the same unit, and alternative shows us the special unit. And yeah, just skins :)

Level 49
3 skins? Seems extensive.
Interesting idea, though.

Well, i think we can use an main model and main skin, so, for lazy guys there are just 2 skins to create (advanced and special).

For more creative freedom i think that we can expand theme till borders of our model section (so, pick model, ask for permission, make alternatives, post wips, make entry, ????, PROFIT)

On a sketch is some example (not really correct one, these changes are model changes, but who cares?).

Attachments

• sorc.jpg
    sorc.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.