• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Texture Paths within *.mdl file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Spent more than a half hour searching the forum, but couldn't find anything helpful..

So my problem is, that I'm currently trying to use InGame Textures instead of custom textures, to reduce the size of the model drastically. But My problem now is, that I've used two textures, because I only needed some parts of them.. As I exported the model into *.mdl file format, and opened it with notepad to change the settings in it, I saw, that there's only one texture path.. but I used two, the strange thing is, that there are two materials given, but only one texture..

I tried to copy&paste it and changed paths etc. but only the first texture is working, for closer look, it seems the model is using the first texture again for the other parts of the model, too, while I used the other texture for it.. so there must be something wrong with the path and the setting, did I forgot to change something in there?

Code:
Materials 2 {
	Material {
		Layer { // incomplete
			FilterMode None,
			static TextureID 0,
		}
	}
	Material {
		Layer { // incomplete
			FilterMode None,
			static TextureID 0,
		}
	}
}
Textures 2 {
	Bitmap {
		Image "Textures\AnyHandleRedWrapped.blp",
	}
	Bitmap {
		Image "Textures\FrostMorne.blp",
	}
}
As you can see there're 2 Materials, and I changed the texture part to this.. but don't works :( (except the first texture, is working well on the model, but the second is screwed)

Damn, I hate it.. spent nearly an hour with searching the forums for help, tried a lot of things, and after this post I looked at the "Texture ID" part.. both were 0, so I set the second to 1, and it works.. that's... grr.. sry for this post.. problem SOLVED

Level 25
I see you are useing BlinkBoys or someone elses script for 3Dmax 6 and up or Gmax
I never had such a problems before cuz i use max5

As i can see the Materials are above the Textures, and if you take a look at blizzard mdl models you will see that Materials are below the Textures. But i think thats not the problem here...

The way to chose the right Texture for certain Material you use this:
"static TextureID 0," and you only change the "0"

In your case the "0" texture is
Image "Textures\AnyHandleRedWrapped.blp",
and "1" is
Image "Textures\FrostMorne.blp",

Play with it!

EDIT: Next time spend more time! >:3

Level 18
I spent 1 hour at searching and trying stuff here and there, but I never looked at the materials, because there were two.. so I didn't watched closer to that part.. it was more luck, that I saw this ^^ and remembered it from some posts, I couldn't find..

However, thanks for helping =)
(could also say, next time read all, especially the red part if you answer :p)

Level 18
I did.. copy&paste was my friend..

yeah mdl files are easy to edit, they have a good overview and it's pretty simple to edit them, but sometimes.. problems are too easy, so you don't think at that part, to just change the second number from 0 to 1.. mostly other people are helping, because they propably have another sight of view..
However.. problem solved, all is working, and the model looks great now, people like it much more now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.