• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Texture changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
OK, not exactly sure how to put this. It's difficult to describe without looking at the specific model.

I'm new to model editing(Keep that in mind).
I'm editing the timber wolf model(and skin texture). I messed around with the skin's colors, followed the tutorial to set the UV mapping in Oinkerwinkle's vertex editor (I didn't change anything because it seemed fine, I just loaded the image), then imported it back to the model in Magos. Upon looking at the model, i was puzzled. The edges of the fur ruffs around the neck and on the legs were flat, not somewhat real-looking like they had been with the original skin. Was it because I just used the default mapping? I only edited the colors on the skin.

Level 31
I make you a little tutorial.
Here you go:

At first open the model in Magos Model Editor.
Now click on Window -> Material Manager.

93279d1291040030-texture-changes-tut-1-magosmodeleditor.jpg

Now search for the Material that uses the TimberWolf texture.
(In my case it was the first Material)
Double-Click on that Material.

93280d1291040030-texture-changes-tut-2-material-manager.jpg

At the new window, just again double click on the MaterialLayer.

93281d1291040030-texture-changes-tut-3-material.jpg

Now you see a window which offers you some information on your Material.

93282d1291040030-texture-changes-tut-4-materiallayer.jpg

Texture ID: It shows you which texture is used in this Material.
Alpha: Shows the transparency of the texture. (1 = completely visible, standard setting)
Flags: Flags are more advanced settings for your Material.
The first two explain themselves.
TwoSided is one of the most important, it makes the texture be seen from both sides of the mesh (front face and back face.
I have no clue what Sphere Environment Map, No Depth Test
and No Depth Set is, but normally you don't use them anyway.

The most important thing for a Material is the Filter Mode.
Changing the Filter Mode makes heavy changes for the texture and the whole model.
Try playing around with it and seeing the differences between the Filter Modes.

(None) is the standard setting without any effect.

Transparent makes every part of the texture invisible that is on the Alpha Channel.
This is used to save file size and poly count low.

Blend, hmm, I haven't used it often, so I don't know what you can do with it.
I saw someone use this Filter Mode for some blood effect on a weapon, but I'm not sure.

Additive
is mainly used for Glows etc.

Add Alpha is a nice one. With setting a texture to this mode you can create a kind of transparent ghostly or crystal effect.
For crystal effects, the texture of the war3x.mpq texture "Textures\CrystalSheild.blp" is used with the combination with the Filter Mode Add Alpha.

Modulate, I have no clue what it really does.

The rest of the settings is for animated texture stuff etc.

Attachments

• Tut-1-MagosModelEditor.jpg
    Tut-1-MagosModelEditor.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Tut-2-Material Manager.jpg
    Tut-2-Material Manager.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 206
  • Tut-3-Material.jpg
    Tut-3-Material.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 172
  • Tut-4-MaterialLayer.jpg
    Tut-4-MaterialLayer.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Level 3
Not what i was looking for.

Thanks for the info, but that must not be the fix or anything, because i changed the filter mode between all possible settings and nothing seems to have changed that. Here are before and after pictures.

Attachments

• changes2.jpg
    changes2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 83
  • changes.jpg
    changes.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 97
Level 49
You didn't save the alpha channels properly. You probably used a format which doesn't supports Aplha Channels or your converter screwed you texture up. Alpha Channels are the part of an image that define the invisible or team-colored locations on a texture. Materials\Blending Modes are what defines if the Alpha Channel is transparent, Team Colored, or various other options.

In the future, you should always use .TGA or .BMP formats when editing a file. In addition, use a program like Photoshop or Gimp when saving and editing you texture.
And please, tell us which converter you used to convert you file from whatever file format you used to a .BLP file.

Level 3
i think i used a drag and drop converter from somewhere on the site to go from the original extracted BLP to TGA and then I believe i used IRfanview to make it a jpeg. I have another converter(the BLP laboratory) that i'll use next time; im just gonna re edit the original texture.

With the BLP Lab, when converting, which option should i choose?

Leave with no changes
add opaque alpha channel
Remove alpha channel
Spec decides for you(default)
Transparent pixel border.

Ah, never mind. I got it to work. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.