• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Swamp Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Never made a swamp before and I thought it would be much easier, but there is only a limited number of usable doodads, especially without the Utm. Its another try without imports.
So if theres something to add, remove or change - I am all ears!

Attachments

• Swamp1.jpg
    Swamp1.jpg
    741.9 KB · Views: 427
  • Swamp2.jpg
    Swamp2.jpg
    754.5 KB · Views: 926
Level 6
love the bridge and hut the most, works so well in the swamp environment you made!

Edit: Oh, and the underground fissure making that blue steam (i think its that at least :) )

Level 36
Never made a swamp before and I thought it would be much easier, but there is only a limited number of usable doodads, especially without the Utm. Its another try without imports.
So if theres something to add, remove or change - I am all ears!

I personally dont understand why people want to make terrains without imports, in most cases I suspect it is because they want to prove that they can make an awesome terrain without using imports, but in 95 of 100 tries at this it fails miserably, in the sence that it would look ten folds as good WITH imports. Also, only the mind limits what doodads you can use, it's just about using them in the right way, or the right angle ;)

Anyways, as for the terrain itself. It looks pretty much like a standard playable swamp terrain that someone would dish up for their campaign or something. Nothing is really VERY bad about it, but it could be so much improved, mainly by USING imports :p But also by changing the angle and have a horizon and the sky play a role in your terrain.

Level 6
I personally dont understand why people want to make terrains without imports, in most cases I suspect it is because they want to prove that they can make an awesome terrain without using imports, but in 95 of 100 tries at this it fails miserably, in the sence that it would look ten folds as good WITH imports. Also, only the mind limits what doodads you can use, it's just about using them in the right way, or the right angle ;)

Anyways, as for the terrain itself. It looks pretty much like a standard playable swamp terrain that someone would dish up for their campaign or something. Nothing is really VERY bad about it, but it could be so much improved, mainly by USING imports :p But also by changing the angle and have a horizon and the sky play a role in your terrain.

Hm where do I start, so far thx for the comment, seems that I haven´t made much wrong if the only real improvement is using imports. :xxd:
And yes it is a "standard" playable swamo and regarding the horizon and sky there is not much to se due to the angle.
About the first point I must say its kind of challenging using no imports, I must say I am a bit bored about the Utm. Its like a kid living in candy store which could have its candy every day, whenever it wants.
I am not going to prove anything, cause it has already been proved that there are people who could do awesome stuff with or without imports.
And you are totally right many people fail this attempt, but there are also people who create "horrible-designed" maps with imports.
Anyway will work on that "standard". :grin:

Level 6
...and obvious as it is, its all about having an idea and creativity, wether you are using import or not...

Level 36
Hm where do I start, so far thx for the comment, seems that I haven´t made much wrong if the only real improvement is using imports. :xxd:
And yes it is a "standard" playable swamo and regarding the horizon and sky there is not much to se due to the angle.
About the first point I must say its kind of challenging using no imports, I must say I am a bit bored about the Utm. Its like a kid living in candy store which could have its candy every day, whenever it wants.
I am not going to prove anything, cause it has already been proved that there are people who could do awesome stuff with or without imports.
And you are totally right many people fail this attempt, but there are also people who create "horrible-designed" maps with imports.
Anyway will work on that "standard". :grin:

Well, the angle problem can be solved by... Changing the angle >.> <.<
Anyways, sure using no imports can show off just how much creativity one really have, but I dont think that is limited to no imports by any chance. Neither do I see your point about the UTM, I see people creating horrible looking terrains all the time using UTM. If you want to go to some candy store, try using the high res pack, THATS something anyone can make something that looks pretty in.

Level 23
I think, using no imports, shows the creativity of the terrainer, how well he can build things with already existing resourcess without imports for every special thing. Just my opinion :D

But aren't imports also "existing ressources" ? Especially when talking of the UTM.

But I have a minor question: Is this a playable terrain or more of art screenshots?

Level 11
I suggest to remove the shore waves. I don't think in a swamp is so much movement in the waterareas. Maybe it look better with waves, but it seems kinda unrealistic to me. Nevertheless a nice terrain.

Level 18
No offense to Keiji but respect for making a good looking terrain without inports now to get on the terrain itself maybe make it a bit darker.

Btw IMO: a terrainer should always start with somthing simple without inported models so i dont see the point and besides that it makes it even harder to make an Epic looking terrain without inports than with inports. About this terrain i must say it looks good but could use a little bit of inprovement.

Level 23
This whole import not-import discussion is a bit senseless because it depends pretty much on what you're working for and also aiming for. If you work on a map which will have to have a filesize limit because of various reasons, you definetalley should use rare imports. On the other hand, if you're terraining just for the reason of terraining it's kinda self-restriction, which causes all results to not be as perfect as they could be. One of the skills of a terrainer is, to exactly think of what he could use within his terrain from ALL available ressources to him.
But since this is not the point of discussion of this thread, I'm going for a little tipp for the terrain.

In my opinion a swamp is dominated by one colour, let's say dark or grey green. Because of the mud, everything in the swamp would have a grey touch and plants are green, let's say like before, dark green.
Now take a look at your tiles: They are in fact dark green - and work pretty well.
But take a look at the grass. It's dominated by a yellow-brown colour, as if it is burned by the sun! Pretty unrealistic for a swamp terrain that is mostly covered in a dusty or foggy atmosphere. Changing colour values here might help.
Btw, did I mention a foggy atmosphere? Yeah, you tried to get this feeling by adding some dust on the ground, but you could also improve this effect by making the world editor fog way more intense. Not too much so that the whole terrain is an invisible wall of fog, but a little more would not hurt in my opinion.
Also what was already mentioned is the water, I won't loose a word on that.
All in all I've the same opinion as Keiji but I guess my two or three little tipps might help improving this terrain, away from a standard look, even if I - as Keiji - strongly suggest you to use imports.

Anyways, you're on a good way, keep them coming!

Level 6
To end the "pointless" discussion:
There are good terrainers, who could do awesome playable or unplayable maps with or without imports.
But they weren´t that good if they hadn´t an idea, thought or simlpy to say enough creativity.
My motivation lies in my self-restrictedness, since there are no "real" restricitions when you work with the editor (in fact there are technical restirictions).
And I must you´ve encouraged me to make a new swamp-version - this time with imports. :xxd:

Regarding improvements:
I suggest to remove the shore waves. I don't think in a swamp is so much movement in the waterareas. Maybe it look better with waves, but it seems kinda unrealistic to me. Nevertheless a nice terrain.

Thank you a lot, removing the shorewaves was a real good idea!!!

@ M0rbid
I was unhappy with the grass too, I´ll gave it a more green touch and added more fog.

Attachments

• Swampreworked1.jpg
    Swampreworked1.jpg
    744.5 KB · Views: 642
  • Swampreworked2.jpg
    Swampreworked2.jpg
    703.7 KB · Views: 341
Level 11
Nice that I was able to help you. In my opinion water in a swamp region has a really static character. Not like a lake or even a river. Its silent and kinda mystic. Maybe add some more fog to give that special type of atmosphere :)

Level 6
thx that someone takes its time a looks at my updated pics.
Btw I am planning on a new swamp terrain, inspired by sacred 2, still searching for a tree model with more than animated leafes...

Status
Not open for further replies.