• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Strange Non-casting Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Hi!
I just ripped off my hair because of a bug that shuldn't be possible.
I have an ability that causes my unit to attack and another that causes it to move faster. Both abilities are based on instant cast abilities that doesn't require any animation.

Instant Cast example: Windwalk, Divine Shield, Mana Shield, Avatar, Bladestorm, Berserk.
Semi-Instant Examples: Thunderclap, warstomp, etc.

I had my attack ability based on Wind Walk, and my dash based on Berserk.
My unit uses arrowkeymovement, moving to any multiple of 45 angle degrees.
Both abilities work fine except for when I move south-east and try to use dash. It simply doesn't go off. All other directions work fine.

Any ideas?

Solen's Sanctuary contains this bug.

Level 26
I was able to dash in every direction (all 8). However, the meat hook did crash the game.
Ok, my computer might be too shitty to handle that specific combination. Gonna try it on another computer when I get home in two months.

I have no idea why the hook would crash the game... THere are no relly dvanced triggers in there... Damn.
Thanks!

Is your spell(s) having Hotkeys that conflict with the Arrow Key movement?
I don't think it is possible to even make that mistake :D
The strings are different. But as legal ease said, the dash works in all directions for him, so it might just be my machine. I haven't recieved other people complaint about this on my already uploaded maps either.

Thanks anyway! :)

Ok, my computer might be too shitty to handle that specific combination. Gonna try it on another computer when I get home in two months.

I have no idea why the hook would crash the game... THere are no relly dvanced triggers in there... Damn.
Thanks!

Hope that works for you. Generally, I would say that your triggers are clean and look very good. Very simple and to the point. The Dash is just an ability and required no trigger it seems. I'm not sure why the Warden had the sparkles on her face, but I guess its a WIP. I wouldn't worry about the hook yet. It started and crashed mid cast so my guess is an endless loop, but if it doesn't do that for you then don't worry to much yet. I use JNPG with UMSEW enabled so I can't always be sure of bugs.

Level 26
Generally, I would say that your triggers are clean and look very good. Very simple and to the point.
Good to hear. I've always been afraid that I am missing something, as others triggers looks much more fleshy and big.

Yeah, the sparkles on her face (chest, really) is a wip thing that I haven't got to yet. :)

I was really tired when I finished the hook spell, so there might be some slight errors there. It will turn up eventually, and I'll fix it then.

Thanks for your help!

Level 6
Hi!
I just ripped off my hair because of a bug that shuldn't be possible.
I have an ability that causes my unit to attack and another that causes it to move faster. Both abilities are based on instant cast abilities that doesn't require any animation.

Instant Cast example: Windwalk, Divine Shield, Mana Shield, Avatar, Bladestorm, Berserk.
Semi-Instant Examples: Thunderclap, warstomp, etc.

I had my attack ability based on Wind Walk, and my dash based on Berserk.
My unit uses arrowkeymovement, moving to any multiple of 45 angle degrees.
Both abilities work fine except for when I move south-east and try to use dash. It simply doesn't go off. All other directions work fine.

Any ideas?

Solen's Sanctuary contains this bug.

Could you answer my question?

1. Does the unit is not interrupted by other commands? Maybe there is a trigger that prevents the unit from casting the ability.

I have experienced this kind of bug before. I remember it is on Warcraft itself. Maybe trying your trigger in a test map. Just the trigger on your Arrow Keys. Maybe your map just get delayed by other triggers.

Remembet there are triggers that secretly interrupting your units from doing anything so just keep searching the bug.

When you can't fix that. Remake your map and import everything. I encountered this many times and it is frustating.The bug is so obvious you can't find it.

Level 26
No interrupation from other triggers or commands. The copied functions within the movement trigger works, and they are exactly the same, except for some angle data.

Well, I understood that it is different from computer to computer. Since warcraft didn't intend to have arrowkey movement from the beginning, they maybe didn't code it perfectly.

No one that have played my maps so far has mentioned this bug, so I think it might just be this computer that can't handle that specific combination. It is strange, but not really anything I can do about it. However, it is not a game-breaking bug, and it is just a minor anoyance in some sequences of future levels, so I don't mind it too much.

Thanks for your ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.