• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Trigger] Storing and loading unit values

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I had an idea for a summoning system for my rpg that I'm making but can't figure out how to create this trigger. I'm not very good at triggering. My idea is that a player types a message similar to "Summon Demon" as a substring. What I think I need is a hastable or game cache to store a list of units that can be saved as a substring and called up when a message similar to the example are typed. If I didn't explain good enough or this was too confusing feel free to reply or send me a message. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Level 3
From the sounds of it, you want players to be able to summon (and presumably Return) units during play, and they summon them via text commands?

It doesn't necessarily require a hashtable or game cache.

When a player types a chat message, you check for the substring of Summon. You take the rest of the player's message as how you find What to summon. So I'd have it loop through a String array until it finds a match. It will then summon the unit, in the case of a specific unit, it takes it from a Unit array and moves it into play, in the case of a unit-type, it takes it from a Unit-Type array and creates a new unit.

Got that?

• Summon Unit
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing Summon as A substring
    • Conditions
      • (Substring((Entered chat string), 1, 6)) Equal to Summon
    • Actions
      • -------- The condition will prevent it trying to summon things whenever someone just happens to say "Summon" --------
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 10, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Substring((Entered chat string), 8, (Length of (Entered chat string)))) Equal to (UnitStringArray[(Integer A)])
            • Then - Actions
              • -------- // Create or move the unit --------
            • Else - Actions
              • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Integer A) Equal to 10
                • Then - Actions
                  • -------- // Display error to player --------
                  • Game - Display to (All players) the text: No such unit
                • Else - Actions

Last edited:
I am not sure if Matched Chat String will work.
Try this:
  • Trigger
  • Events
    • Map Initialization
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • For each (IntegerA) from 1 to 12, do (Actions)
      • Loop - Actions
        • Trigger - Add to Trigger2<gen> the event (Player - Player(IntegerA) types "summon demon" as a Substring
  • Trigger2
  • Events
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Set String = (Substring((Entered chat string), 12, (Length of (Entered chat string)))
    • If (All conditions are true) then do (Actions) else do (Actions)
      • If - Conditions
        • (String) Equal to Drake //String comparison
      • Then - Actions
        • Unit - Create 1 Drake for (Triggering player) at...
String is a String variable.

If you want default warcraft III units to spawn, you can also do
Unit - Create 1 (Unit-type(String)) for (Triggering player)..

You can also set a list of String variables and a list of Unit types (array enhanced for both cases). Then, you can set
  • Set Strings[1] = drake
  • Set Strings[2] = nazgul
  • Set Units[1] = Golden Drake
  • Set Units[2] = Flying Nazgul
  • For each (IntegerA) from 1 to 12, do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Trigger - Add to Trigger2<gen> the event (Player - Player(IntegerA) types "summon demon" as a Substring
  • Trigger2
  • Events
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Set String = (Substring((Entered chat string), 12, (Length of (Entered chat string)))
    • For each (IntegerA) from 1 to 2, do (Actions)
      • Loop - Actions
        • If (All conditions are true) then do (Actions) else do (Actions)
          • If - Conditions
            • (String) Equal to Strings[(IntegerA)] //String comparison
          • Then - Actions
            • Set Temp_Int = (IntegerA)
          • Else - Actions
    • Unit - Create 1 Units[Temp_Int] for (Triggering player) at...

Level 6
Didn't Work

I tried it but nothing happened. Not sure If I did something wrong but I followed the example you did but just changed the name of the integers.

This will work easily (Matched Chat String worked when I wanted players to type radio-1, radio-2, radio-3 and each identified a different song to play):

• Events
    • Player Types "Summon Demon" as a substring
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • If (Matched Chat String) Equal To "Summon Demon of Death" then
      • Then - Actions
        • Unit - Create Demon Of Death
      • Else - Actions
        • If (Matched Chat String) Equal To "Summon Demon Revenance" then
          • Then - Actions
            • Unit - Create Demon of Revenance
          • Else - Actions