• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Start to Terraforming Mars in the Next 50 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Enjoy.

Buy and watch BBC To Mars By A-Bomb The Secret History of Project Orion.

I truly believe we will start to terraform Mars within the next 50 years. It is possible. Will it happen? Who knows. *There was a heated, but nice and pleasant discussion in the chat about this*

Scientists and other people within the Space Community are saying that anywhere from the next 20 to 75 years we will be terraforming Mars.

Link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars#Evolution

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Aurora/ESAONKTHN6D_0.html

http://dps.aas.org/public_policy/docs/The_Next_Fifty_Years.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Mars

http://www.globalpetroleumclub.com/node/1298

http://www.space.com/news/081001-nasa50-road-ahead.html

http://www.planetary.org/programs/projects/space_information/next_50_years.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,299320,00.html?sPage=fnc/scitech/space

Level 11
You know when star trek came out all of that sci fi technology made people flabbergast. But Star Trek did not even have cell phones. That's how crazy technology can evolved sometimes.

Level 34
You know when star trek came out all of that sci fi technology made people flabbergast. But Star Trek did not even have cell phones. That's how crazy technology can evolved sometimes.

Batman invented the carphone, how about that?

-

But seriously: We need to focus first on ourselves before we even try taking a step outside. Fix America, fix the Middle East, fix this and that.

And something else crossed my mind: On a A-bomb to Mars? Are you kidding me? How more American can you be! People, listen, you don't need to use nukes for everything, not even the sun. What next? Nuclear bicycles? Jeez.

Level 11

-

But seriously: We need to focus first on ourselves before we even try taking a step outside. Fix America, fix the Middle East, fix this and that.

And something else crossed my mind: On a A-bomb to Mars? Are you kidding me? How more American can you be! People, listen, you don't need to use nukes for everything, not even the sun. What next? Nuclear bicycles? Jeez.

Well we are americans, trigger happy. What can I say :p

Level 12
Hahaha, I've read all kinds of crap on this subject, it would take FOREVER to make mars a truely stable planet to live on. We'd have to get an atmosphere going, which would probably be imposible for the next 100 years at minimum. Then you'd have to get soil for plants and trees to grow to keep a cycle of oxegen moving. You'd also need the oxygen there, and we kinda need it here to keep living. Then theres getting there. With the things that have happend over the past 500 years, I doubt humanity is going to get along for very long when this happens. Remeber the moon landing? I'm pretty sure theres a heated argument going on still about if the US technically owns it or not.

And an A-bomb? COME THE F*CK ON!!! why would we blow up half another planet? Why already have that problem here, the last thing we need is the UN pissing on everybody for voting to send an A-bomb to the surface of mars. Humnaity needs bigger brains, not balls right now *Cough US cough*

Humanity has way too many problems on its home turf to even try going past the moon, much less going to mars.

Level 11
Hahaha, I've read all kinds of crap on this subject, it would take FOREVER to make mars a truely stable planet to live on. We'd have to get an atmosphere going, which would probably be imposible for the next 100 years at minimum. Then you'd have to get soil for plants and trees to grow to keep a cycle of oxegen moving. You'd also need the oxygen there, and we kinda need it here to keep living. Then theres getting there. With the things that have happend over the past 500 years, I doubt humanity is going to get along for very long when this happens. Remeber the moon landing? I'm pretty sure theres a heated argument going on still about if the US technically owns it or not.

And an A-bomb? COME THE F*CK ON!!! why would we blow up half another planet? Why already have that problem here, the last thing we need is the UN pissing on everybody for voting to send an A-bomb to the surface of mars. Humnaity needs bigger brains, not balls right now *Cough US cough*

Humanity has way too many problems on its home turf to even try going past the moon, much less going to mars.

well im guessing your skimmed through it. An Nuclear propelled space shuttle is an excelent way to get to mars. And we could produce oxygen there, what do you think, were gona steal oxygen from earth lmao

Level 12
Crap, I re-read my thing and I forgot the fact that mars is too far away to keep a sutable tempurature to sustin plants and animals all year round like we do on earth.
And please explain how we would produce enough oxygen to keep a planet livable

Level 11
Crap, I re-read my thing and I forgot the fact that mars is too far away to keep a sutable tempurature to sustin plants and animals all year round like we do on earth.
And please explain how we would produce enough oxygen to keep a planet livable

Lol bro. Ok 1. Scientist has estiamted that at the exact alignment when mars is closest to earth would take 6months to travel there. When we do get there we establish a bio dome base. Inside there we grow our own vegetables and plants and have a water system. The plants will slowly be producing oxygen for the members of the recon mission to live there for 6 months before coming back with samples of Mars and more information. On the second trip we build factories that produce carbon dioxide, oxygen, as well as other checmicals that are in our atmoshphere here. And blah blah blah. I gave links, i dont feel like explaining everything, y dont u just read them?

GLB

GLB

Level 8
What a funny thread ^^

Colonizing Mars would be too expensive. Perhaps when our nice mother earth is down one day and menkind does not know where to live, men will try this.
But so far, Mars terraforming costs are too high and so, they won't do that.
Think about this: NASA often cancels space trips because of the giant amount of costs for just one trip, though space shuttles just go into the orbit! Therefore, logically, sending an armada of space shoutles in order to colonize or terraform Mars would be too expensive! And that would not be changing for the next 50 years.

Level 14
Well, basicly to terraform it we'd need.

A hell load off gas. Which means that we would have to take it from Earth or possible Venus

Level 11
That would be EPIC

+

Did you know that when they sent a Bot or whatever to mars it landed in water and got disabled in some years, it took a while till Scientist could control the bot. and it was wet.

Nuclear powered bicycle it is.
Come kids, come. Blast your way to obesity!

Level 10
Fact is, that civilization as it exists at this moment can not sustain itself. Eventually we will run out of resources on this planet, our only way to survive is to either kill/let die a huge part of the world population (which would give us other practical and moral problems) or to colonize different planets and exploit their resources.

Furthermore we could get killed by global warming, viruses or a meteor, which are local problems (the chances of them happening on earth and mars at the same time are minimal) which is another reason to populate another planet.

It is in our nature to ravish an environment and then move to the next, like a virus. We can't help it, it is the only way to sustain our life-style and our numbers.

The colonization of other planets is a must. Without it, humanity will die out or de-evolute into a more primitive form. I don't want to have to reinvent the fire and the wheel. And since we have to do it anyways, we might as well do it now, before we get another war/global warming kills everone/virus kills everyone/meteor kills us

GLB

GLB

Level 8
The colonization of other planets is a must. Without it, humanity will die out or de-evolute into a more primitive form. I don't want to have to reinvent the fire and the wheel. And since we have to do it anyways, we might as well do it now, before we get another war/global warming kills everone/virus kills everyone/meteor kills us

hm... these are just possibilities. About the "shall we or not" you can debat as much as you want, but you won't find an appropriate solution as long as you cannot solve the financing issue!

However, I agree with Mr Bob that some population reduction would be helpful to solve a lot of problems like skyrocketing food prices in underdevelopped countries, poverty, extinction of animal races, unemployement, aso.
But the matter is, who will decide who is going to live (the 10%) and who is going to be doomed to disappear (the 90%)!

Anyway, Hakeem is right. When reading his post, I was thinking of some natural "primitive" civilization in the pacific ocean I have been told of in a documentary. Living on a small island, thousands a miles away from the mainland, they had to regulate their population growth. When reaching a limit, whole families were obliged to quit the island on a little boat. Mostly, they died... But it was upon the chieftain to choose the persons...

Level 14
Fact is, that civilization as it exists at this moment can not sustain itself. Eventually we will run out of resources on this planet, our only way to survive is to either kill/let die a huge part of the world population (which would give us other practical and moral problems) or to colonize different planets and exploit their resources.

Furthermore we could get killed by global warming, viruses or a meteor, which are local problems (the chances of them happening on earth and mars at the same time are minimal) which is another reason to populate another planet.

It is in our nature to ravish an environment and then move to the next, like a virus. We can't help it, it is the only way to sustain our life-style and our numbers.

Yeah, let's conquer Venus

Level 4

-

Fixing is far to difficult starting over is always easier.
Who would want to live on a hostile red barren landscape anyways?

Level 21
Well, essentially, the scientists are planning to produce oxygen on the mars by melting the giant masses of ice on the mars, and then bringing a "base" to the mars while hes closest at the earth, then they will start to use the water to plant weed etc in that dome and they start to produce oxygen through getting watered, I think thats quite possible and costs less as the first landing on the moon, because at the time when that time was come (to travel to moon), the science was not very advanced, but now... we can even send a satelite in the universe which creates a 3D map of nearly the whole of our galaxy... so why not a lil dome on the mars which creates plants to slowly creates a environment on the mars... we aren't in the 80's or the 60's....

Last edited:
Level 11
Call me a cynic, but I think, rather than colonizing another planet, we should just kill off 90% of the Earth's population. A little global instability and chaos is good every once and a while...

As for the terraforming.... I am envisioning the movie "Serenity" all over again....

awsome movie. And you never noe with the way humans are. And yea thats why governments have wars to keep populations in check.

Level 31
awsome movie. And you never noe with the way humans are. And yea thats why governments have wars to keep populations in check.

Governments usually go to war because of greed. But yeah. Same concept.

America goes to war with the excuse of protection a lot. In truth, it is just more greed. lol

What a filthy, greedy, sick, garbage filled world. (Yeah, I know I am 100% cynical, but it's true.) So! A large disaster would be nice right now...

/me goes to buy the movie "Serenity"...

Level 30
Well, essentially, the scientists are planning to produce oxygen on the mars by melting the giant masses of ice on the mars, and then bringing a "base" to the mars while hes closest at the earth, then they will start to use the water to plant weed etc in that dome and they start to produce oxygen through getting watered, I think thats quite possible and costs less as the first landing on the moon, because at the time when that time was come (to travel to moon), the scientology was not very advanced, but now... we can even send a satelite in the universe which creates a 3D map of nearly the whole of our galaxy... so why not a lil dome on the mars which creates plants to slowly creates a environment on the mars... we aren't in the 80's or the 60's....
Great plan ... I'm in.
...because at the time when that time was come (to travel to moon), the scientology was not very advanced...
Let's thank Tom cruise for helping scientology advancing ever since the first moonlanding.

Level 11
Colonizing another planet is too hard at the moment. Imagine starting all over....on another planet....with our problems still here on earth.....imagine the viruses, technological problems, moral problems, etc etc that would pop up if we attempted to colonize another planet. It would be a completely different culture on mars. Mexicans and Americans have different views, do you think that Martian Humans and Earth Humans would have same views? It would eventually change and then you got more problems that would arise. Oh, and the fact that the alien races will come destroy us so we don't advance too much, but that is something else =D

Level 12
Some of you forgot to mention about earth is pollution. Think about china for example. Other one (alot mentioned) is overpopulation. Think about china for example yet again! So the main thingy to do is simple: KILL ALL AMERICANs for inventing McDonalds & Chinese for overpopulating!

Not to be racist, thats just a suggestion...to be honest, what would we do with nuclear bombs? We cant just throw them in a HUUUUGe trashcan you know.

As for what someone mentioned, war is kinda good way to keep from overpopulating earth. Also: Terrorism : good or bad thing? For this: GOOD, for real: BAD!

My suggestion ammount: 2
Suggestion 1: KILL ALL AMERICANS & CHINESE (no racism, no :smile:)
OR
Suggestion 2: make Terminator into reality. IM NOT JOKIN WITH THIS!...even tho it might mean the end of humanity :grin:

EDIT: As for terraforming mars, its not really a bad idea, but what would we do about temperature?

Last edited:
Level 17
Let's also kill everyone in the country you live in. Why? Because I feel like it.

Please never try to be funny again. And if you respond with "I wasn't trying to be funny" you're still not funny.

Some of you forgot to mention about earth is pollution. Think about china for example. Other one (alot mentioned) is overpopulation. Think about china for example yet again! So the main thingy to do is simple: KILL ALL AMERICANs for inventing McDonalds & Chinese for overpopulating!

Not to be racist, thats just a suggestion...to be honest, what would we do with nuclear bombs? We cant just throw them in a HUUUUGe trashcan you know.

As for what someone mentioned, war is kinda good way to keep from overpopulating earth. Also: Terrorism : good or bad thing? For this: GOOD, for real: BAD!

My suggestion ammount: 2
Suggestion 1: KILL ALL AMERICANS & CHINESE (no racism, no :smile:)
OR
Suggestion 2: make Terminator into reality. IM NOT JOKIN WITH THIS!...even tho it might mean the end of humanity :grin:

EDIT: As for terraforming mars, its not really a bad idea, but what would we do about temperature?
You too.

Yours actually has a really deep thoughtful theory though. Humans balance each other through conflict and killing each other. It prevents over population, although now our means of killing each other might doom us all either way.

Ironic then, that while we stride for World Peace, World Peace might just be the death of us all.

As for the title of the thread, I didn't bother reading through 4 pages, but I'll respond to the title directly: Its not going to happen, for a plethora of reasons, its not going to happen. And I don't just mean in the next 50 years.

Level 12
As for the title of the thread, I didn't bother reading through 4 pages, but I'll respond to the title directly: Its not going to happen, for a plethora of reasons, its not going to happen. And I don't just mean in the next 50 years.

Hmm...you have a point there. I didnt either believe in that to happen, but either way if we success in it, it would probably take longer than 100years wich could mean end of the world for different reasons, like pollution or something.

Either way, were all doomed already. No matter what would happen.

Let's also kill everyone in the country you live in. Why? Because I feel like it.

As for you, i dont really care much if you kill all at the country i live in, i wouldnt give a damn. For the USA part, there are some people worth saving tbh, but it still kinda pisses me off because ive seen more than enough people at america who are like 300kg and die because of some health reason - in other words - McDonald. As for chinese, its seriously over populated and its polluting alot (not 100% sure about that one). If that plan would be put into reality, it would be like a heavens gift.
PS: my signature says it all.

Please never try to be funny again. And if you respond with "I wasn't trying to be funny" you're still not funny.

Would be better if u exactly say what word 'Funny' means, because tell me, is it joy to live or not? Answer: NOT, because we live so we can die, and death only takes joy away. Other than that, think if we would live forever. You live for like 5million years, and you would try to kill yourself every day after about 100-200 years because of mainly boredom.
PS: dont mind about me, i love makin crappy jokes wich arent even funny.

Last edited:
Level 27
Humans balance each other through conflict and killing each other.
Viruses have killed more people than people have ever been able to. I'll accept that nukes might give us the ability to cause the massive genocide we were never able to achieve.
Its not going to happen, for a plethora of reasons, its not going to happen. And I don't just mean in the next 50 years.
Normally when I say this it only affects the person I'm talking to, but this time it's different.

By saying it is impossible, you make it impossible. There will never be enough funding for this if everyone thinks it is impossible. Your attitude and words are the only thing that make it impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.