• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Spacetime Warp Theory, believe it or not?

Believe or not?

• I believe!

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Random crap!

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

The Alcubierre_drive is a theory that states if we can create a device that expand the spacetime fabric behind a space ship and contract the fabric infront of the space ship, we would create what the call the Alcubierre_drive effect, sort of like a line in a balloon that if you contract the ballon, the line will seem like it moves.

The Big Bang theory states that at the universe's inflationary period, space travelled faster than light, even now it has accelerated to a tremendous speed.

They believe that by creating the Alcubierre drive, will make a chunk of spacetime fabric travel faster than the speed of light. This will not cause any object to get destroyed by momentum since the object in that alcubierre bubble is not actually moving, the space is, not the object!

This theory bends the laws of physics, I believe it can work in the future! Man will be able to conquer space.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

"Oh, let me just squeeze you a bit further into deep space.. you'll see."

No, I didn't read it.

Level 14
Intresting, however I believe this is not possible and even if it is there's most likely a stupid side effect that makes it useless

Level 12
I believe that while nobody on earth has any actual evidence to support either side of this hypothesis (it isn't a theory), my opinion is correct in that it's bullshit, because clearly that's how things roll in "science".

Was like that when everyone believed earth was the center of the universe, and a freak or atheist w/e made a bewildering theory like this one that earth actually rotates the sun...

I think you're confused about what is bullshit and what is truth in life. And if you may its an accepted theory, and thought in many universities following general relativity subset.

Level 27
Well let me say it like this; if this doesn't work then nothing would.

Think about it, we CANNOT make an engine or anything that makes us travel the speed of light. Which would probably be the only way to effectively travel the universe, also i've never thought about instead of moving the object moving the ''subtance(?)'' which holds the object because then it can obviously go a lot faster.

Anyway, this or nothing.

Probably nothing >.<

Level 12
Well let me say it like this; if this doesn't work then nothing would.

Think about it, we CANNOT make an engine or anything that makes us travel the speed of light. Which would probably be the only way to effectively travel the universe, also i've never thought about instead of moving the object moving the ''subtance(?)'' which holds the object because then it can obviously go a lot faster.

Anyway, this or nothing.

Probably nothing >.<

I hope i get another funny rep for posting this one.

Think about it, we CANNOT make an aircraft or anything that makes us travel to space and many people back in the old days believed it to be non-sense.

Think about it, we had animal sex long ago until a genious invented the art of kamasutra, after a period where people believed f****ng from the front to be non-sense.

Honestly speaking, there are billion ways how not to make a light bulb, but we only needed to find one way to make one. Nothing is really impossible as long as it makes sense. This theory all relates to big bang, and it is trying to create the inflationary period of spacetime expansion in a small space that would accelerate that space into a speed faster than light (possible because space itself now is travelling faster than light).

Level 7
Usually I'm pretty open minded to these crazy ideas, but all this speed of light and you can do whatever, I've always had a flat out 'no' answer for these kinds of things.

Level 12
Usually I'm pretty open minded to these crazy ideas, but all this speed of light and you can do whatever, I've always had a flat out 'no' answer for these kinds of things.

The way you speak of it is ambigious.

First of all is not even a crazy idea because it is largely based on Einstein's general relativity theory and it does not travel at the speed of light since any matter that travels at the speed of light is impossible. You should really read the theory instead of assuming science fiction starwars/startrek like while skimming through the summary, because the theory is a generally accepted theory, not a crazy science fiction.

Level 27
I hope i get another funny rep for posting this one.

Think about it, we CANNOT make an aircraft or anything that makes us travel to space and many people back in the old days believed it to be non-sense.

Think about it, we had animal sex long ago until a genious invented the art of kamasutra, after a period where people believed f****ng from the front to be non-sense.

Honestly speaking, there are billion ways how not to make a light bulb, but we only needed to find one way to make one. Nothing is really impossible as long as it makes sense. This theory all relates to big bang, and it is trying to create the inflationary period of spacetime expansion in a small space that would accelerate that space into a speed faster than light (possible because space itself now is travelling faster than light).

Yeah well we we're able to travel the speed of sound but the speed of light is a whole other story... anyways it would probably take a few centuries before we can even try.

Level 11
But it is possible for light to travel at the speed of light. DUN DUN DUNNNN. I think I was watching some space documentary on youtube, it was taken of history channel or something. They said they could make a time machine through using only light hitting itself or something.

Level 12
Omg...

Seriously read the theory properly.

It is impossible to travel at the speed of light.
Warp theory is based on general relativity, in that if we can bend its rule, such that we can create an inflationary space bubble, we will be able to move space fabric to anywhere, at the speed greater than light. Because space travels and travels! faster than LIGHT! But the objects inside that space theoretically does not TRAVEL, the space is, not the objecT!

This will not cause any object to get destroyed by momentum since the object in that alcubierre bubble is not actually moving, the space is, not the object!

Yeah, so lets just potentially obliterate the the fabric of spacetime. Its a great idea, as long as the ship survives.
I think this is a load of bullcrap. If anything, wormholes are the highways of the future Oo.

Level 24
Was like that when [HIGHLIGHT]everyone believed earth was the center of the universe[/code], and a freak or atheist w/e made a bewildering theory like this one that earth actually rotates the sun...

[HIGHLIGHT]I think you're confused about what is bullshit and what is truth[/code] in life. And if you may its an accepted theory, and thought in many universities following general relativity subset.
nagisa_came_rainbows.jpg

Level 7
These theorys are pretty bullsihity. You dont need to know shit to say "if i only could bend god to my will i could see the future". you can never deny what i just said, and i'll probebly never prove that it's true either.

people 30-40 years ago thought that today we'll live on the moon and have flying cars and stuff (also that we'll contact aliens and be all americans). It wont happen in a long time. Some big ass phisicyes proffesor dude said to me we'll probebly never have startrek stuff, i tend to agree.

Level 11
It's possible. No one imagine cellphones. Just think of this, back way then, when star trek came on the seen, they used wakie takies. That's how scifi cellphones are. STAR TREK didnt even have cellphones. Everything is possible, you can't say it's not possible because you have no scientific evindence. And before I go on a rant and find documentation to prove you all wrong I will unsubscribe now to create this thread into a "I believe in miracles but not dreams" thread,... again...

Level 12
It's possible. No one imagine cellphones. Just think of this, back way then, when star trek came on the seen, they used wakie takies. That's how scifi cellphones are. STAR TREK didnt even have cellphones. Everything is possible, you can't say it's not possible because you have no scientific evindence. And before I go on a rant and find documentation to prove you all wrong I will unsubscribe now to create this thread into a "I believe in miracles but not dreams" thread,... again...

Yeah I totally agree with you, some visions provided with a rationale can become a reality. And to counter on what some of those dudes said about having colonies in the moon -> you should read about an Indian gov. project on building a simple model colony on a crater they found to have water in the moon, the funds from the Indian gov. already progressing, now the project only to take process. While USA is planning for MARS exploration, they're planning to go further into exploring lunar habitability before actually going to MARS. Hmmm wonder who has the bigger brain there. Ooops !

Also, about flying cars, we could make flying cars if we want to, the physics is possible, but what the heck man? We already have airplanes and helicopters...

Is it seriously necessary to append [/sarcasm] on everything nowadays?

I do it only because I'm smarter than you. :mwahaha: :razz:

Level 24
Yeah I totally agree with you, some visions provided with a rationale can become a reality. And to counter on what some of those dudes said about having colonies in the moon -> you should read about an Indian gov. project on building a simple model colony on a crater they found to have water in the moon, the funds from the Indian gov. already progressing, now the project only to take process. [highlight]While USA is planning for MARS exploration, they're planning to go further into exploring lunar habitability before actually going to MARS. Hmmm wonder who has the bigger brain there.[/code] Ooops !

Also, about flying cars, we could make flying cars if we want to, the physics is possible, but what the heck man? We already have airplanes and helicopters...

[highlight]I do it only because I'm smarter than you. :mwahaha: :razz:[/code]
Okay, I'm actually going to explain why I came rainbows this time. Who was smarter, the Koreans that first weaponised gunpowder, or the Germans that built a cannon that could shoot from Germany to the UK? Mind you, the only reason that the German cannon didn't work is that the German engineers didn't account for the rotation of the earth under the bullet. Ambition has nothing to do with intelligence. And you're claiming to be more intelligent than Poot?

Level 12
Okay, I'm actually going to explain why I came rainbows this time. Who was smarter, the Koreans that first weaponised gunpowder, or the Germans that built a cannon that could shoot from Germany to the UK? Mind you, the only reason that the German cannon didn't work is that the German engineers didn't account for the rotation of the earth under the bullet. Ambition has nothing to do with intelligence. And you're claiming to be more intelligent than Poot?

Lol he took it seriously, this forum is a joke. Can't pick up language son? :razz::mwahaha:

Update:
An FTL propulsion system - based on Alcubierre’s warp drive - that utilizes dark energy to propel a spacecraft faster than light has been proposed, and could revolutionize space travel according to an article on the website of Cosmos Magazine [3]. The concept is supported by the calculations of several physicists at Baylor University in Waco, Texas. Comparable to the warp drive concept of Star Trek, their theory states that a spacecraft could travel at warp velocity in a bubble of space-time, by manipulating dark energy — the mysterious invisible force allegedly responsible for the observed acceleration in the expansion of the universe. Essentially, the spacecraft would remain in the same place, while space-time ahead of the craft would shrink, expanding again behind it.

These models do however show that while it is indeed impossible to exceed the speed of light, in principle it might be possible to circumvent the problem by suitably "warping" spacetime itself. The most renowned theory, known as the Alcubierre drive, uses terminology in accord with Star Trek jargon: "warp factors" measure the warping of space-time, not the magnitude of actual velocity. In his book The Physics of Star Trek, Lawrence Krauss states that while it is possible to actually travel at a velocity greater than that of light via warp drive, huge amounts of negative energy are required to make it work. Gardiner developed a timetable for the development of the warp drive from analyses of history.[4] He concluded the realization of the warp drive might be achieved around the year 2180.

Realization, notice how long it takes for the "realization"

reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaliiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzaaaaaaaaaaatioooooooooooooooon.

171 years. Its all bcuz of "tuff" folks like you. LoLz

Level 20
NoAmmoSrry said:
No one imagine cellphones. Just think of this, back way then, when star trek came on the seen, they used wakie takies. That's how scifi cellphones are. STAR TREK didnt even have cellphones.
Actually, the inventor of the modern mobile phone was greatly inspired from Star Trek communicators, and based his designs off of them.

I'm sort of confused as to what point you're trying to make...

Level 11
My English professor. Just look it up, you'll find information about it easily enough.

Yea but Star Trek was a sci fi where they had spaceships but they did not have mofo cellphones. They had walkie takies.

Thats what I was trying to point out, Idk how the fuck you missed it but w.e lmao.

You come out of noewhere stating facts that arent even related to anything in my quote. good job you get a cookie.

Level 20
Yeah, and I don't understand why you're pointing out that they didn't have cellphones. I've never watched Star Trek, but I'm pretty sure they'd have no use for devices like the modern day cellphone.

NoAmmoSrry said:
It's possible. No one imagine cellphones.
Maybe they had no use for them? Just because something wasn't explicitly mentioned in the story, doesn't mean it didn't exist. I'm sure the entire universe in which Star Trek took place wasn't described to you in the show.

I'm really confused as to which point you're trying to make. If you're saying that the Alcubierre is possible because it's something that no one imagines to be possible now, well that's just completely ridiculous. There is no correlation between the unexpectedness of an event and the probability that it will happen. lol
If you're saying the opposite, that's equally as ridiculous. Things don't happen because everyone imagines that they will (e.g. everyone walking the streets naked and living on the moon in 2000).

NoAmmoSrry said:
You come out of noewhere stating facts that arent even related to anything in my quote. good job you get a cookie.
I was trying to say that perhaps the communicators weren't as primitive as you saw them, given the modern day cellphone was highly inspired off of them. It's a simple thing to imagine now, but at the time it was most likely amazing.

Level 11
Yeah, and I don't understand why you're pointing out that they didn't have cellphones. I've never watched Star Trek, but I'm pretty sure they'd have no use for devices like the modern day cellphone.

Maybe they had no use for them? Just because something wasn't explicitly mentioned in the story, doesn't mean it didn't exist. I'm sure the entire universe in which Star Trek took place wasn't described to you in the show.

I'm really confused as to which point you're trying to make. If you're saying that the Alcubierre is possible because it's something that no one imagines to be possible now, well that's just completely ridiculous. There is no correlation between the unexpectedness of an event and the probability that it will happen. lol
If you're saying the opposite, that's equally as ridiculous. Things don't happen because everyone imagines that they will (e.g. everyone walking the streets naked and living on the moon in 2000).

I was trying to say that perhaps the communicators weren't as primitive as you saw them, given the modern day cellphone was highly inspired off of them. It's a simple thing to imagine now, but at the time it was most likely amazing.

Forget it, not gona waste my time geting my explanation any simpler then that. Take the cookie jar. and good bye.

Level 20
BUT LUKE SKYWALKER LIVED IN A MUD HOUSE. NO ONE IMAGINE THAT.

Also, no further explanation is needed for the mud house point. Fuck you and your feeble minds incapable of understanding my deeply subtle and/or completely irrelevant point.

Level 14
Warp drives are the most currently feasible method of FTL travel. Since they don't involve inertia, there is thus no momentum or energy problems resulting from relativity. However, actually warping space time may or may not be possible/practical, we don't know.

Still, even if that fails, interstellar space travel is still quite possible at STL speeds, although if we can somehow improve drive efficiency (fuel amount is a bit of a problem) massively to allow us to accelerate to and down from close to the speed of light, then we could travel faster, and also benefit from time dialation effects (travel time can be smaller than that for the speed of light for the people travelling).

Level 21
Well, I think the people in this thread which mean that this is impossible should bring up some valid arguments, I saw just bullshit written by them, not a single valid argument, I think you should not post here if you don't have something intelligent to say, especially purplepoot.

Sarcasm spam doesn't prove something wrong, it makes you look funny poot.

In my book, nothing is impossible until it was proven impossible.

EDIT: Look at Captain Griffen, he gave the arguments which defeated all you wannabe-smart people which tried to make fun of this serious theme.

Last edited:
Level 20
redscores said:
In my book, nothing is impossible unlike it was proven impossible.
YOU CAN BE WHAT YOU WANNA BE.

Seriously, though, you can't simply say "yeah the Alcubierre drive is totally possible because no one knows that it's impossible yet." No one grasps the physics behind it yet, so no one knows that it's possible either. This entire thread is just people going back and forth on that.

redscores said:
Well, I think the people in this thread which mean that this is impossible should bring up some valid arguments
And people in this thread who say that it's possible should bring up some valid arguments. Note: "Everything is possible" is not a valid argument.

redscores said:
Sarcasm spam doesn't prove something wrong
Sarcasm is a neat way of pointing out flaws in ridiculous statements.

Griffen said:
[...] and also benefit from time dialation effects (travel time can be smaller than that for the speed of light for the people travelling).
It would also be ridiculously long for people on Earth: not very practical if you're simply exploring.

Zixjin

Z

Zixjin

ok so think of it like this, anything is possible if you can think it up, if it wasnt possible you wouldn't have thought it up or thought it all the way through. Now this may confuse some people as to what im saying. Im still not quite sure if this guys theory is correct, but im not yet ready to put it down as "Totaly and Uterly regected".

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 20
redscores said:
In my book, nothing is impossible unlike it was proven impossible.
I can't see the word "yet" in there.

Something that is not impossible yet is then eventually possible... which can't really be said about this topic since no one knows if it's possible at all.

Why does this even have to be mentioned? No one knows balls about this, so no one knows if it's possible or impossible. The rest is fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.