• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

someone should get a team together to improve warcraft 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
first try to get blizzard to release the source code, then if they do that then warcraft 3 can be expanded with new content(community created) and fixes. if they refuse to release the source code publicly, a team should work on patches for them. warcraft 3 needs improvements like better transfer structure and bigger map sizes.

Level 5
Actually, if you do a bit of reading or research, there are already articles from blizzard and a few posts related to them about a few of the classic games including Warcraft 3 getting a revamp. Also included with this potential revamp will be the return of Human hosted games like back in the glory days of WC3 Multiplayer. This mean no more bots and less hacking. Well until someone finds a way around the new coding and so forth...

Level 12
Have you looked up Armies of Azeroth? I know it's not all of what we want, and I don't know if Blizzard will ever make WarCraft III better (why would they do that for us? All they care about is WoW), but it's a pretty cool mod anyway.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
i am not suggesting that blizzard do any work on the game but that they make the source code available to the public or to a small group.(original war had its source code available to a small group.)
The problem is that the game uses commercial libraries for certain functionality. One cannot push these into the public domain. One cannot even assemble a "small group" for them since the libraries are only licenced to Blizzard.

If they did give out the source code, you would have a dysfunctional shell that could not even be built. It would take years before it can be built again as libraries would have to be created and features change to avoid intellectual property issues.

Has anyone been able to reverse-engineer the source code?
Yes and no. Parts have been reverse engineered. However no one has undertaken such a project. The main reason is because reverse engineering WC3 violates the Terms of Use of the game. If Blizzard were to find out this was happening at a large scale it is almost certain they will launch legal action against the people involved, who could suffer huge damage bills and even prison time if they fail to stop.

Well,there are rumors of a new patch.Now probably would be a good time to press them for improvements/info of War3
They will not be making major changes. Their patch will be purely maintenance related. There is almost certainly no money allocated towards implementing new features or redesigning existing features.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
The problem is that the game uses commercial libraries for certain functionality. One cannot push these into the public domain. One cannot even assemble a "small group" for them since the libraries are only licenced to Blizzard.

If they did give out the source code, you would have a dysfunctional shell that could not even be built. It would take years before it can be built again as libraries would have to be created and features change to avoid intellectual property issues.

Yes and no. Parts have been reverse engineered. However no one has undertaken such a project. The main reason is because reverse engineering WC3 violates the Terms of Use of the game. If Blizzard were to find out this was happening at a large scale it is almost certain they will launch legal action against the people involved, who could suffer huge damage bills and even prison time if they fail to stop.

They will not be making major changes. Their patch will be purely maintenance related. There is almost certainly no money allocated towards implementing new features or redesigning existing features.
Hard pills to swallow, Doctor.

Even in Russia?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Even in Russia?
As I said, parts have been reverse engineered. That is how Hosting robots, MPQ archive tools, and custom BattleNet systems have been made. Most of theses were made with help from people around that area (countries we associate with Russian people).

I have personally tried to reverse engineer the blp system of WC3 for "compatibility with other software" purposes. However after spending hours staring at the assembly and following step-by-step debugging I am still non the wiser about what the fields used actually mean. An this is just the blp system, let alone the 99.999% of the code not related to blp.

Level 26
Is it somehow possible to improve the graphics? I don't know how it was done but for Gothic 2 someone released a DirectX11 patch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdqXup3-CQQ

I think the lighting, shadows and water etc. are improved. Would that be possible for Warcraft?

Since the formats are documented a team could probably write a clone of the game which supports the native formats but that would take years. Even writing tools takes endless time and to write the whole AI stuff and game engine ... I hope they will release the source code one day as Lucas Arts did for Jedi Knight but I guess it won't happen.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Is it somehow possible to improve the graphics? I don't know how it was done but for Gothic 2 someone released a DirectX11 patch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdqXup3-CQQ
No it is not possible as that would raise the minimum system requirements so cause Blizzard a lot of problems.

Third party wise it can be anywhere from a pain to apocalyptic to implement depending how the graphics are produced. I have a feeling Warcraft III is more on the worse side than the better.

I think in most cases features like "real time shadows" are added by changing the shaders or with minimal code modification. As soon as code modification is required (eg for tessellation support) then it becomes near impossible.

Since the formats are documented a team could probably write a clone of the game which supports the native formats but that would take years. Even writing tools takes endless time and to write the whole AI stuff and game engine ... I hope they will release the source code one day as Lucas Arts did for Jedi Knight but I guess it won't happen.
The problem is that Blizzard still gets money from Warcraft III. And not trivial amounts at that. Additionally there has been a trend towards "HD re-releases" so companies are even more reluctant than ever to open source.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] I hope they will release the source code one day as Lucas Arts did for Jedi Knight but I guess it won't happen.

In 2013, Raven Software released the full source code of Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast... or not :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Jedi_Knight:_Jedi_Academy#Source-code_release
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Jedi_Knight_II:_Jedi_Outcast#Source-code_release

Jedi Knight's source code is supposed to have been lost by LucasArts afaik.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Jedi_Knight:_Dark_Forces_II

Status
Not open for further replies.