• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Size Special effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Level 6
I usually make units with the special effect as model. And then i collor and re-size and with triggers the animationspeed slower/faster or slowly make em transparent.

Level 14
I usually make units with the special effect as model. And then i collor and re-size and with triggers the animationspeed slower/faster or slowly make em transparent.

By model I assume you mean unit. This is the same method I use. It allows you to move them, resize them, color them, raise and lower them, etc. It's pretty damn useful. Just give them the locust ability and they will be unselectable. You will probably also want to make them flying and set their collision size to 0

Level 25
Beware tho - even if they look like effects, they're still units. That means they take more processing power than special effects because they're still units (due to how more complicated units are compared to special effects).

Just for comparison, I made a spell for my map which caused a meteor to drop down. When it crashed into ground, it exploded and created ~40 small fires in the area it affected. With those fires as units, I experienced some serious fps drops, although the code was cleaner (did not need any loop, I just set them correctly in object editor and assigned timed life to them upon creation). When I remade the trigger and just used special effects instead of units, those fps drops disappeared. Of course the trigger I had to make was more complicated as I cannot give timed life to special effects, so I had to keep track of it myself.

So probably a few units that serve as graphical effects ain't that bad, but if you want to spam many effects at once, you should consider scaling the model via some 3rd party tool like chaosy wrote and use them as special effects, not units.

Status
Not open for further replies.