• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Single-Player Bossfights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Single Player Campaign Then? Yes. That would allow more...
Story
Bosses (OF Course!)
Fun!

Well I can say that I can do triggers (Lots of them, as long as they're GUI, but Jass is unlikely used, unless your trying to kill every leak and decrease size. And why would we need H21 in a campaign?) And I can try to make my cinematics Uber, but that will require some time, seeing as my cinematics are mostly just Camera Angles and I don't like too much dialogue because it bores me.
What would it be called? What happens in it? Who is the main character? Who else wants in? So many Questions to answered over the next millenia! Everyone please continue to post your wonderful ideas here, and we may use them.
Tada! (I'm gonna try this like Asomath.)

Sincerly,
~Vosty

Level 14
I'd help you out in them, and drop in from time to time to help you trigger some bosses or storyboard a quest chain for it or what not. I couldnt work full time on it though, since I am already working on 2 SP RPG's. Find a terrainer, and hopefully a skinner/texturer for icons and such and you should be set.

~Asomath

P.S. However, if its a campaign, I may spend a bit more time with it, because I don't have a campaign under my belt yet.

Level 14
I am a triggerer (like all of you), as well as storyboard writer. I am also resourceful, I have a library of the highest quality, non-game exported models from a majority of countries. I am also part of a voice-actors league of people who do radio-talk shows, trailer voices, animated voiceovers and such, so I can provide things such as custom unit sound-sets, boss dialogue, as well a game promotion.

~Asomath

Level 12
Good a terrainer! Custom Models won't be extremely neccessay except for the main characters and Bosses (Who must be UBER!) Skinning is not my thing, but i have done it once or twice, (they ended up as crap!) but believe me, there is more than 1,000,000 users here, i'm sure one is a skinner or modeler.
I can see it now, a campaign with the most Uber bosses in the world. (It looks good too!)
EDIT: (How many Edits have I made after posting?) Voice acting would be a majorplus. Advertising? I don't understand why we'd need it unless on other wc3 sites, but the models would be nice. I also heard you have a ton of Wow exports which could be a last source.

Level 12
We decide what we call it when we think of what's it about. Some other questions...

1.Should it be More towards Warcraft Melee Style (Where you are given one primary objective and you strive to achieve it. Examples: Wc3 Campaigns. Joe's Quest. To the Bitter End) or more of a unique style that changes the way you have interact with the environment ?(Examples: Rexxar's Campaign, The Chosen Ones[ugh, too classy], Joe's quest 1.5)
2. Should it be more of a pick and choose your fate (what we've all been talking about with the do this, and later you shall be punshed or rewarded) Or a do this, do that, straight-forward path?
3. Should it require interaction with other NPC's?
4. Should it have more than one hero?
5. Should it have One evil Villan, or more like a Council that keeps decending with different ranks?
6 Will multiple systems (like an item system or proffession system) have to made?
7. Will you pick the main characters as you go along?
8. Does it take place in Loaderon and Kalimdor etc., or in a new universe?

More questions to be answered before this journey starts....

Last edited:
Level 12
I think...
1. Unique Style
2. pick and choose your fate
3. Yes
4. Maybe (bringing it on to others)
5. One evil villan, with minions.
6. Maybe (item one would be nice)
7. Another maybe ( passing it on to YOU)
8. a new universe.

This is just my opinion. Any other would be welcome. Looking for others to join.

As soon as A small idea for a storyline that sounds decent comes out from anyone who is in the project, we can begin writing a a complete story and we can all edit, correct, and add to it.

So far the only ones wo have volunteered are:
Vosty (Triggers Storyline)
The World Is Flat (Triggers Storyline ?Terrain?)
Asomath (''Triggers For Main Boss Fights'' Models ''Voice Acting'' "Video Advertising"

I hope more can join soon! We might need someone like a skinner/iconist.

EDIT: One last thing, not to be bothersome, but if were gonna dicuss this a whole bunch, we should give Asomath back his awesome thread, and relocate.

UBER EDIT: Taryen has offered to do some terraining in between his life and his campaign (which is his life). His campaign is found here. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/idea-factory-462/origins-taurens-135665/

Last edited:
Level 4
Ugh... I COULD join but I'm kinda useless except if u need ideas...which can be found here T_T. but anyways here are my answers to your questions:
1.Unique style. The warcraft melee style can't really offer much for bossfights...
2.Pick and Choose. I like it when you can actually have an impact on an RPG world.
3.Yes. I think it can create character depth.
4.I don't think so...I hate microing :D, but it might give it some difficulty with it.
5.Council or guild or whatever, I think it's much more deep than one ZOMG UBER GODLY VILLAIN WHO WNTS TO TAKE OVR TEH WURLD. (not intending to hurt ur feelings or anything :D)
6.Yes. Depth, depth, depth is what I want to see in this project
7.Yes, again I like having an impact :3.
8.A new universe, since I wouldn't feel good about making new bosses and characters to the Warcraft lore.

Hope they helped :D

Level 9
my answers:

1.It should be like the way you hae 1primary objektive but many ways to solve it.In other words a mix of both styles.
2.yea should be like that. If you kill someone it should be bad for you.
3.SURE
4.! hero or more could be exciting. Having one hero makes to whole game fokused on him and the gamestyle is nearly only fighting. Having a team of heros make it more complex and you have to think before doing somethink. In my opion both ways are cool, but the second one is the more challenging.
5.Could be different. I dont lie games were is only one big bad guy , its better to have a whole county, famaly or a council,
6.SURE
7 sry dont understand
8. it could be every were, depending what you want to do. There is no prob doing it in kalimdor, middle earth or just something new

Level 12
Another positive reply.
I worded the question about the One Evil Boss and council wrong. What I meant, is should they be lead by One Evil boss, or several Bosses. I think they should be led by one boss, not several. But Anyway, now you know what i meant.
Has anyone read the script?

Level 1
Going back to the boss fight ideas, I have one I've been planning out for a while.

After going through a necromancer's tower, killing his minions, etc... You face him in his throne room (or whatever place you want). To make it interesting, he has an animate dead affect. Scattered throughout the room are piles of bodies (They are buildings that spawn corpses like the Graveyard). Destroying the piles causes the boss to gain back some mana and health but prevents the boss from animating more undead from that pile.

Other than that, he doesn't have any other special abilities. But, after he is killed, manical laughter plays and the soul of the necromancer walks into his throne. The exits are sealed and he keeps saying that they will have their revenge. Every 10 seconds after that, a wave of enemies is spawned. The thing is, that these enemies are the ones you've killed in this dungeon/level/campaign. Every wave is all of a certain type that you killed. So if you killed 20 green spiders, there would be a wave of 20 green spiders. This would of course punish the people who kill everything they see.

Along with that, the necromancer is casting spells from the throne that deal damage, create barriers, buff his minions, or slow you down. In order to balance this, he uses minion's souls that would spawn later to cast his spells now. So you face less enemies in the long run but have to face a powerful spellcaster.

Once all of the waves have been killed, the throne cracks and the ghost of the necromancer emerges. You have to fight him again but he has both the animate dead spell (to use on the corpses that you have so kindly provided) as well as the spells he used during the waves of enemies. He is much more fragile though, and relies on his minions to delay you while he nukes you with spells. After defeating him, you're done. No more coming back for this boss. (Until the sequel... BWAHAHAHA)

Since it seems this fight would be amazingly difficult, it would have to be one of the final boss fights. There also probably would be some of the others ideas listed in this thread used in it, to make the first stage of it more fun.

Sweet boss idea! :cgrin:

vosty's questions:
1.Should it be More towards Warcraft Melee Style (Where you are given one primary objective and you strive to achieve it. Examples: Wc3 Campaigns. Joe's Quest. To the Bitter End) or more of a unique style that changes the way you have interact with the environment ?(Examples: Rexxar's Campaign, The Chosen Ones[ugh, too classy], Joe's quest 1.5)
Uniqe, but not so pick and choosy that it flops like morrowind.
2. Should it be more of a pick and choose your fate (what we've all been talking about with the do this, and later you shall be punshed or rewarded) Or a do this, do that, straight-forward path?
Uniqe, but not so pick and choosy that it flops like morrowind.
3. Should it require interaction with other NPC's?
yes
4. Should it have more than one hero?
no
5. Should it have One evil Villan, or more like a Council that keeps decending with different ranks?
council, they would be like bosses for each 'stage' but one council boss, who is the leader.
6 Will multiple systems (like an item system or proffession system) have to made?
yeah, probably.
7. Will you pick the main characters as you go along?
you make your dude at the start i think.
8. Does it take place in Loaderon and Kalimdor etc., or in a new universe?
new universe.

lets get crakin'

Level 12

council, they would be like bosses for each 'stage' but one council boss, who is the leader.

That is the answer i've been trying to tell.
Well, thats another good reply, and I think I know just about what the permanent settings are. Two PowerFul Questions.

Who is the main character?

Who is the main boss?

Well, I'll continue the plot as soon as these are anwered, and if everyone likes it. If you got a better idea...
tell it now or forever hold your peace.
The plot will contain lots more S.H.I.T (Super Hard Insane Twists), and hopelfully more ideas can be thrown in as we go, because After this opening, I really don't got much planned yet.

EDIT: Animus67, you have created a sweet, planned bossfight! I will definitly take it into consideration. In fact expect to see your name in the credits, because with some modifications, I will probably use it, even though my original plan include him dying in the opening cinematic (though it didn't make sense why) and it will probably be one of the last ones like you said.
The sequel part?
Lets just see how this one turns out, before you make me lose sleep for days, thinking of a new plot and a way for him to be revived.

Last edited:
Level 12
If go back in this thread, (Far back) you'd see that jokunen said something along the lines of that, and I added to that.
But in the verions i said.
"What if you pull a lever and mines are revealed for you so you an aim the boss into them?"
You idea says that you 'place the mines by yourself.'
For better of worse, it's just as cool. But almost too easy, seeing as you already know where they are.

Level 12
Very cool, so like use elevators or something, and they drop into lava?
Yes that would be very cool, especially jamming a stick into a giant cyclop's eye so he can see and go crazy and commit suicide.
Nice + rep

Level 1
Thanks! I'm planning on using that bossfight in a D&D campaign of mine eventually. I do have few more boss fight ideas to contribute:

What if the level was a boss itself?

As in, you're fighting a massive scaled monster. It tries to trample over you multiple times and you have to dodge it. But if you stand in front of pillars before it charges, it will knock them over and take a large amount of damage. Any of your other attacks make barely any progress in killing it. After the second to last pillar is destroyed, the monster starts whimpering, trying to run away. If you try to attack it in order for it to charge you, or if you get too close to it, it turns around and eats you. Instead of an actual spell it teleports you to a new map, which is inside its body.

You end up in the stomach and have to deal enough damage to it to cut through and escape, while you take damage from stomach acid and the stomach crushing you. If you aren't a strong character, you instead have to pass through the intestines, where you have to fight creeps that have gotten stuck there themselves. Either way, you end up in a number of rooms. The way to defeat the boss is going around and destroying its organs, which are in themselves mini-boss fights.

For example, the lungs have a pushback effect whenever they breath in (they get larger and push you backwards), pushing you into the rib cage where you take damage. After dealing some damage to the lungs, the monster starts to cough, and you have to run behind cover to avoid being crushed against the ribs again.

Between the different organ rooms you can cut veins but they cover you in blood (and antibodies) but white blood cells spawn continuously, and they begin to attack you. While they themselves aren't too strong, there is a huge number of them. To make the risk worth it, by cutting the veins, you inflict a DoT on the monster. There are 3 to 7 veins scattered throughout the body that can eventually let you defeat the monster, but white blood cells will continue to find and attack you until it's dead.

Killing organs cause massive instant damage to the boss, and after killing all 4 major ones (lungs, heart, liver, brain), the boss will die. Alternately, you could cut a few of the veins and kill some of the organs to get the same result.

The organ fights would be quite different. Lungs try to push you into the ribs and other objects, the liver has poison spells with a number of DoTs, the heart summons large numbers of white blood cells and can push you around with blood spells, and the brain uses electricity attacks and you have to avoid stepping on electrocuted spots.

Level 4
I think if you find a way to tailor your bosses to learn how to interact with a player, (I mean evolve and strategize, as the player does,) you have found the golden egg. However, this is difficult in both theory and practice.

At the very least, you can tailor bosses to how they react to player's based on their attributes/classes. The boss will play differently depending on who enters the fight against them. If a class is a tanking class (read: slow and hard to take down) perhaps your boss specializes in quicker attacks that makes a tank spend more time trying to block all of the incoming projectiles. Orrrrrr, perhaps it'll stress that player to do as much damage as he can, as the boss enrages after a certain time. (Perhaps make the tank have to find ways to reach platforms to hit switches, since he's naturally 'not' quick.) Orrrr, if that hero is a healer, perhaps make it so they have to use their healing prowess to keep other things alive, as you would not be doing the fighting yourself, but creatures would be fighting for you.

All sorts of ideas I have yeh.

Level 12
More and more people find their way to this thread. It's great to see fresh ideas.
The organ thing, seems...
Lets say fun, gross, and actually pretty cool.
I'll give rep as soon as i can, seeing as i just gave you some.

In the campaign, I think were gonna stick with a melee guy probably, because any mage could sit back and just shoot the boss, but it takes a grown pair, to kill a monster that is compared to you, FREAKIN HUGE!
But nice ideas, I will keep looking for more and more ideas to add. Keep thinking!

How about the boss keeps dissapearing? and you never know where he is going to appear again? unless you activate this special rune which is guarded by another boss. when the first boss appears after teleporting (he will be gone completely for like 3-5 sec.) there will be an explosion ans he will send a shockwave out towards you... there are other geneators you must activate, but you have to return to the bosses arena and fight for like 5-10 min. before the pathways open up again... and each generator adds to the effect:
1. You can see where he will appear 10 seconds ahead of time.
2. he does not regenerate to full health every time he teleports.
3. you can see him at all times
4. he cannot teleport
- bonus: 5. he takes a small amount of dps.

he has other abilities aswell :D
and each of the bosses protecting a generator are very cool and very hard to beat aswell using some of the ideas from other bossfights... this would be good for a final boss...

Level 12
Nice, for one of the final bosses, but for the end one I almost want to see something like this...
You fight ??? (read the script) at all sorts of arenas. Each arena has kinda like a small objective you have to do to get the boss hurt. Every time he is hurt to a certain degree, you teleport to another arena.
Say one arena has the generator thing, and the next one could have like deflectable projectiles.
I would be cool, If each arena mimics one of the previous boss fights, but with a twist of increased difficulty, because you already know what to do.
So actually, this culd be included in the end boss, as one of the arenas!
I'd give more Rep because I'm a reppy guy, but I can't because I just gave you some for the thread!

Level 14
You could also revert that process, and the boss continues to devour more souls, because he thinks he needs more power to defeat you, until he is an ultimate boss. In fact, he could devour the souls of the previous bosses, gaining uber versions of their spells, as well as adding his own touch.

~Asomath

Yes that would be cool, the Uber boss...
W$$T Idea -
A mesh of 2 ideas: ok so take the boss that teleports, but give him, the soul-thingy :D and to beat him, you need to activate the generators, to activate the generators, you need to kill a boss each time, every time you eat the boss... the primary boss eats that ones soul... giving him another life, and acting like that boss... but with some other parts of the other bosses souls... so to beat him, you need to help him... making it harder to kill him each time... get it???

Level 14
Yes that would be cool, the Uber boss...
W$$T Idea -
A mesh of 2 ideas: ok so take the boss that teleports, but give him, the soul-thingy :D and to beat him, you need to activate the generators, to activate the generators, you need to kill a boss each time, every time you eat the boss... the primary boss eats that ones soul... giving him another life, and acting like that boss... but with some other parts of the other bosses souls... so to beat him, you need to help him... making it harder to kill him each time... get it???

Sounds great! There just needs to be a phase one with some of HIS abilities before he starts to teleport and the real battle begins, and this will be fantastic!

~Asomath

Level 14
One thing, please never give your Boss the Ability to Resurrect !!! This is just Boring and most players think "Not again" or "The same shit twice, this is boring" and they'll end the game (or maybe give you a bad rating for this).

Unless the first time around it was totally easy, and when he ressurects its a vast increase of difficulty over the first go.

~Asomath

Level 6
lol this will be random, but I had a strange idea for an Ogre boss.

The Sleepy Ogre (yeah thats right.) Here is my thoughts on how battle should go.
The Sleepy Ogre is a gigantic ogre with one eye. Now this isn't a basic hack'n'slash boss, as in just hammer away at his health while getting knocked on as well. Cause this Ogre is really strong, and his armor is almost inpenetrable. So basically he would use the Divine armor base, where your regular attacks dont effect him, but your spells do. Now, you are fighting in an arena style area, like on a cliff, while ogres are watching from higher parts of the cliff. The only things in the arena is you, the Sleepy Ogre, and a Ballista with a circle of power behind it. When u stand on the ballista, you gain control of it, and is able to fire huge boulders or giant arrow things at the Sleepy Ogre. The only thing is that there is another ogre standing on the circle of power, and he is invincible (but disabled, so he wont attack u) Now the fight basically goes like this. If your melee, u use ur melee abilities, and try to run from him, because he has high attack and you cant really hurt him with ur regular attacks. Now.. the Ogre's mana decreases as the fight continues (not only when he casts spells). When the Ogre's mana reaches 0, he immidiatly says something and falls asleep. (something like: Me sleepy.. you know, just dumb ogre crap). He falls asleep for about 15-20 seconds. The ogre on the ballista becomes active, and charges at you. After you kill him, you can finally stand on the ballista's circle of power. When you do, it launches its projectile at the ogre, which will actually deal heavy damage to him. The ogre then wakes up, and begins to attack you again. As you begin running, another ogre runs down from the high cliffs to the ballista and stays disabled/invincible, so you will have to rinse and repeat. Of course, he has his own abilities as well.

1- Slam - Your regular slam ability that dazes the player as well as damaging him. But it has a chance (prolly 25-35%) to also stun the player for 2-3 seconds.
2- Bash - Deals Bonus damage and has a chance to stun. Basic.
3- Gassy Eruption (75% Life or lower.) - The ogre (this will be nasty) lets out a toxic gas from.. his a$$. The gas cloud that erupted from his area of corruption stays in that location for 10 seconds. Dealing damage to the player if he steps in that location. And there is a small chance that if the player goes toward that location, that he will receive a DoT poison spell.
4- Angry (25% Life or lower) - I shall say this in terms of the ogre. Me angry! Me smash smash faster! lol, He basically moves faster and attacks a bit faster. NOTE - He uses this with another ability for a good damage combination.
5- Furious Slams (25% life or lower) - The Ogre will use the ability angry, and charge at the player. When the Ogre reaches the player, he will begin using this ability. Now, the very first thing this ability does is Stop the player's hero. (not pause/disable/stun, but stops him. If you keep rightclicking he can move.) Then the Ogre begins using the slam ability... but an improved one that lasts 6 seconds. By this I mean every 0.5 seconds he will use the slam ability on that location. Its the regular Slam ability but every 0.5 seconds he will use it. Now, if the player did NOT keep on right clicking on the split second that he was Stopped, then he will begin to get pounded on. Now you may say: Hah, but it only dazes! I can run from daze! WRONG. Remember, the slam ability has a small chance to stun.. so if you did not run in time... well.. your basically going to get hurt badly. This ability will only be used once in the battle.. so once u dodge it.. you will probably win.

In my opinion, this should be like one of the first 3 bosses for an rpg. Its easy, but can also be difficult. It will also apply some Comedic moments :). BTW Flat, I will post to be part of your project as well :).

Status
Not open for further replies.