• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Shadow of the Necropolis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
this is another short story about the Fall of Dalaran for my map Warcraft: Apocalypse
For a short story on the Fall of Stormwind go here.

Ah, the fresh morning air, it soothed my senses as I breathed it in. The sounds of an apprentice polymorphing his partner by accident, or a drunkard wandering the streets trying to sell a piece of wood, claiming it as a wand, was common around Dalaran. Though, these little things made me love this place. With the Lich King gone, everything was serene and peaceful.

I saw my friend, Claire Alracil, another mage like me. I waved to her as she passed by.

"Hello, Thed, how've you been? I havn't seen you in forever" she said with a smile.

"Fine, my master has been making me train double time, he say's I'm too clumsy--whoa!"

I suddenly tripped and Claire burst out laughing.

"Hey, I didn't just trip, the ground rumbled, I swear!" I said desperately.

"Sure you did, Thed" she said, holding back another laugh.

Just then, Pilo's Pinot, a famous inn, exploded in a flash of green and purple fire. Citizens were screaming everywhere, and one scream caught my ear.

"Our doom has come! Look to the skies!"

I looked to the skies as said, and I saw something I regret seeing.

"It's Neromaxaras!" Claire screamed, she grabbed me and dashed off.

"What do we do? I don't know what to do!"

I felt freezing, the very presence of Neromaxaras chilled me to the bone. I heard a booming voice roar out of Neromaxaras, the cold voice of Deathchill.

"Scour, fools! The citadel of destruction looms over you!"

Magic was bursting throughout the morning air, the once sweet smelling air was filled with the vile scent of rot and decay. Dalaran and its mages shot various magics at the opposing citadel, though Neromaxaras sent double the damage back at us.

The floor began to tilt, and Claire and I began to scream. I frantically looked to see what was happening, and I found out.

"Dalaran has lost too much power to keep flying! It's tilting, it's CRASHING!" I screamed.

I bet people from across all of Dalaran could hear me, but I was too afraid to think of anything like that.

I saw Rhonin and Vereesa come out, and Dalaran slowly began to tilt back up. I suddenly felt courage, I heard great stories of Rhonin and I knew he was a powerful Archmage, possibly as strong as Antonidas once was. I saw Khadgar too, and the two launched powerful arcane magics towards Neromaxaras as Vereesa and her High Elves shot at Neromaxaras with their Glaive Throwers.

Green beams of light began coming out of Neromaxaras, it was dropping troops down!

I grabbed Claire by the hand and screamed "Claire, come with me, If we don't die to Neromaxaras' siege we'll die to it's undead!"

Claire and I rushed to the Dalaran Sewers, which was at this time protected. Many others also fled to here. We sat next to eachother in the Cantrips and Crows Inn, which had many unorganized tables from when Dalaran began to tilt over.

Dust crumbled from the ceiling every time Neromaxaras shot a dreaded blast at Dalaran, suddenly, the ceiling began to collapse and the Cantrip and Crows was instantly plunged into the Dalaran Sewers water. If it were any other situation, I'd worry about what was IN the water, but this wasn't the time.

As I sunk deeper into the water, I snapped myself out of my trance of disbelief. I could hear a goblin screaming how he couldn't swim and the weeping of children. I then noticed I was split up from Claire. I swam to the surface and screamed for her name, but I only heard the screams of others.

The wall bursted open, and an Abomination raged in. Many plunged into the water for shelter, but other unfortunate beings were too late and were caught by it's blood-covered hook.

We thought we were safe underwater, but we were so wrong. The beast dove into the water, all the way to the bottom, and slowly and menacingly approached us, killing all the ones who couldn't swim fast enough. I took shelter within one of the larger pipes, and I saw Claire, but not the way I wanted to see her.

She was hooked, and her arm was gone. Even if she could live through the arm severing she'd bleed out before I got any medical care. I didn't dare yell out for a priest, or our cover would be blown. I brought her to a safer location and ripped off a piece of my robe and tried to cover up the bleeding.

"Thed..." Claire said, her voice was weak and faint. "Save yourself..."

"No!" I replied harshly, I knew Claire since we were children and we were friends ever since.

Suddenly, I tipped over, and the walls became my ceiling. I grabbed onto a ledge to keep me from falling. Dalaran itself had tipped and was plunging into Crystalsong Forest. I used all my strength, still holding Claire, to crawl into a once sideways pipe. Atleast all the undead fell out I thought to myself, the only problem I had was surviving this crash.

I never felt so afraid in my life, and the fact I didn't know when it was coming or what to do when it happened only increased my Tension.

Suddenly, I heard the loudest noise I've ever heard, the very foundation of Dalaran cracking apart, I was pressed against two rocks, I was slowly crushed to death as blood began to seep out of my fingers. I could feel my guys splurting out of my body. I couldn't imagine how much more terrible it was for Claire. I felt the rocks sliding across my body as if it was artifically being moved, back and forth.

"Wake up!" is all I heard.

A mage was standing over me, pushing me back and forth to wake up.

"It was just, a dream? Dalaran didn't fall?!"

The mage had a grim look on his face. "It fell, you just survived."

I looked at myself, my robe was tattered and I had bandages all over. The mage pointed to the west and I saw what was left of Dalaran. I took in a deep breath, but I smelled no morning air, I only smelled the dust and rubble of Dalaran and those who fell with it. It suddenly came to my mind...

"Claire! Were is she?!" I yelled frantically at the other mage.

"She is alright, we've given her medical care. She'll live". I guess the mage felt good since he had atleast some good news to say. I felt good too, even though everything I worked for was gone, I still had an irreplaceable item, my friend.

I saw Khadgar channeling every ounce of his power into one spell. Was he trying to repair Dalaran? Revive all the dead? With such vast ammounts of energy used just to channel one spell, it must of been very powerful. After the spell was finished, a simple portal was created. I never learned how to create portals, but I was pretty sure it was not that hard. Was the battle really that depleting? I could only assume, he had to stay on the surface the whole time, and I'm exhausted from hiding in the sewers. The surviviors passed through the portal, to Stormwind. We were finally safe, for now atleast.

Status
Not open for further replies.