• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

SC2 Voice Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yum

Yum

Level 3
I thought some people might find this interesting...

2. Will there be in game voice chat supported in SC2? (teamliquid.net)

Yes, there are plans to implement VoIP into Battle.net, but details beyond that are yet to be announced.

SC2 Q&A Batch 13
http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=sc2-general&t=27705&p=1&#post27705

Curious to how this might change things for the mapping community. I was planning on developing an RP map for SC2 so figuring how that will work should be interesting.

Level 36
Exactly, just about every serious DotA player on the planet uses Vent to coordinate, and voice chat is a MUST for MMO's, so this is just standard. You can talk faster than you can type, and you can talk without having to type or distract yourself, so it definetly has it's benefits.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is better than using vent since it threads into the game its self and so loads your computer less (less application management) and also the data packets could be sent with the actuall game ones so it would be overall more efficent. Also maybe there would be triggers for this (voice recognition / pitch) that might have some interesting results. Also it will stop people kicking you because you do not have vent or crap (you might not be able to talk but sure as hell you will be able to hear them).

Level 36
Meh, Vent usually turns out to be better anyway. Look at CS, it has built in voice chat but to get anything serious done people always use Vent.

Vent just works better. It helps to have an entire program designed around voIP, not just having it thrown in as an extra feature.

Level 2
A guy in my clan works for a company that does Beta tests, they Beta'd Hellgate:London and also got the contract for SC2.

1) 90% of computers people have now won't play SC2 (they just won't have enough RAM/a good enough CPU/a fast enough graphics card)

2) Don't even think about seeing it before December of 08, and more like second quarter of 09.

Don't shoot the messenger, those are basically quotes from their official testing report.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
SC2 is hardly supreme commanders, my PC might easily play it on low and it is a 2GB nvidia 7800 GS with a P4 3 GHZ core. This is about average settings and all modern gaming PCs will easily run it no problems. Unlike hellgate, I dought SC2 will need godly specs as blizzard is known for good optimizations in code.

Also we already have the specs needed as people played the alpha version in one of the conventions. From what I heard the specs are a nvidia 8600 runs it perfectly on medium with vista OS and 1.5 GB of ram with a low end amd dual core. Ofcourse the realse one will probably be higher but I say a decent dual core and a nvidia 8800/9800 card with 2 GB ram vista machine will easily max the game even in extreem LOAP like custom maps.

And yes 90% of PCs will not be able to run it but then again most of those are business and server PCs which hardly need a top range graphic card. Also I do not think blizzard pays people to test their games (the makers and shair holdes are exceptions).

Acording to blizzard the mac install of it will use open GL, which shows you exactly how demanding it is as you hardly get crysis or hell gate london running well with open GL, infact I dought they even support it.

Level 2
Also I do not think blizzard pays people to test their games (the makers and shair holdes are exceptions).

Uh.... yeah they do. Any company worth their salt releasing games does. The company is somewhere in Michigan, I can get the name if you are looking for a job. Guess the pay isn't tremendous but you still get paid to play games all day long!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Still seems kind of stupid, especially since they are going to have a public beta they said at some stage. All in all they both end up with the same results, next to maybe the feedback from the populace would be more useful. Also there are tons of jobs that you sit around playing games all day for.

I my self am interested in the programming / hardware side of computers more than the playing. I just still find it stupid how people are payed to play and test out games when they will also public beta it (well atleast that is what they said eariler this year).

Still I think he is exadurating with the specs being insanly high, since supreme commanders are and they are hardly that high. And since SC2 has none of that phisic projectile stuff, I dought that it will need anything more than a bog standard dual core. Graphic wise for high it may need a 8800+ card but still on low it should work on 7800 or better cards no problem. Ram I can believe thou, especially with vista 2 GB will be recomended since strat games have been known to be RAM hogs since the dawn of their type.

Level 25
Still seems kind of stupid, especially since they are going to have a public beta they said at some stage. All in all they both end up with the same results, next to maybe the feedback from the populace would be more useful. Also there are tons of jobs that you sit around playing games all day for.

So u wouldn't mind if the game when it's released to public testing, didn't even start?

Of course they use testing, hell if they had a fatal error, people would think they were idiots.

Btw, this site ftw!: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

Level 5
You can mute people from voice chat in CS by holding tab and clicking their names, but i also wood really like to see this in SC2, it would be helpful in Melee games.

Level 12
There are a lot of other games besides CS that use VoIP sucessfully, if you have ever played a FPS like Bf2 or something.

FYI -- You can be assured they are paying people to test their game, thats how they take care of most balancing issues. How many of the people during the public beta actually point out bugs/balancing problems, I'll bet a whole lot more suggest their own ideas that they think should be included in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.