• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Rpg storyline. (hmmm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
So you basicaly want someone else to do your work for you? People won't do all this work just because you ask them to.

If you want some helpful replies you should post your ideas here and ask for cricism and ideas to improve. Giving more info about your project won't hurt either, people will be more inclined to help you out when they know you are dedicated to your own project.

Level 17
While I don't have any in mind, you need to remember that the storyline needs to be practical. Think of one that will give you a lot of different questing options and a variety of enemies/activities. Contrary to what others tell you, taking a cliche'd RPG storyline (Undead/Demon invasion, Bandits, etc.) isn't really as bad as they'd lead you to believe, so long as you mix it up a bit.

Lastly, I found any Wc3 map's attempt at being in any way "deep", "atmospheric" or "thought provoking" in any way fails miserably, while a lot of maps tilted to be more light hearted or humorous work much better. Warcraft 3's visuals complement this well.

So in summary, go for a practical, engaging storyline (mixing it up if it's a cliche) that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Level 8
So you basicaly want someone else to do your work for you? People won't do all this work just because you ask them to.

If you want some helpful replies you should post your ideas here and ask for cricism and ideas to improve. Giving more info about your project won't hurt either, people will be more inclined to help you out when they know you are dedicated to your own project.

@Arcany okay so like i'm not asking people to DO it for me I was looking for tips like steel noted below.

While I don't have any in mind, you need to remember that the storyline needs to be practical. Think of one that will give you a lot of different questing options and a variety of enemies/activities. Contrary to what others tell you, taking a cliche'd RPG storyline (Undead/Demon invasion, Bandits, etc.) isn't really as bad as they'd lead you to believe, so long as you mix it up a bit.

Lastly, I found any Wc3 map's attempt at being in any way "deep", "atmospheric" or "thought provoking" in any way fails miserably, while a lot of maps tilted to be more light hearted or humorous work much better. Warcraft 3's visuals complement this well.

So in summary, go for a practical, engaging storyline (mixing it up if it's a cliche) that doesn't take itself too seriously.

@Steel_Stallion Thanks that helps a lot man. We're lookin to do some cool things like instead of just a normal dungeon, and killing monsters with spells. Having "skills" like grappling hook and needing it to get to a certain spot. (Skills are different for each class) but each dungeon can be done without all of theses just having more ppl makes the storyline better if ya catch my drift.

Level 10
Warcraft 3's visuals complement light hearted settings, yes. But tragedy and depth can indeed thrive at the heart of any comedy, or be the punchline or irony in it. The purely humorous layer is observed by some players, while others are bound to notice that weird stuff is to it aswell.

Why not go all the way and overdo the cliches. The end of the world/[zone of adventure] will happen soon because of some evil fella, and the heroes' role is to rid the world of evil and save it.
Now add some obvious flaws to the bad guy. He could be a clown or freak who ran away from a circus and ends the world for revenge against those who just laughed at him, or something else. Make it as obvious as possible, so the players won't have to read dialogue and such to figure this out.
Make NPCs lazy cowards who spam the heroes with blessings and omens about them saving the world from evil and being chosen heroes foretold by legends (based on obviously flawed evidence). The heroes could be about to puke at their own destiny, and have weaknesses that totally contradict the amount of trust and worship they receive from NPCs. This can plant some uncertainty in the player, as things are obviously not as the game want's us to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.