• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Rights to use Hiveworkshop assets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Whether it is a violation of the rights to use assets downloaded from Hiveworkshop with changed paths inside the map.

For example, I use model and icon prefixes to sort imported data in a map:

Arthas_MagicShield_Red.mdx
BTN_Arthas_StoneForm_Unholy.blp

Or will I just need to specify in the publication all the assets that the author used in the map?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I think he's saying that if he downloads assets and uses them in his map, but changes the path, it will not be clear who actually made it (since the name is changed, and another user couldn't just search for that changed name in the database).

However the answer lies in your second phrase: "credit the author". @AMarkov it won't matter what you change the paths to inside your map, as long as you have properly credited the author for their work (e.g. "USERNAME made Icon X"), people will be able to recognize who made what, which is the point of a credits list.

Level 9
I think he's saying that if he downloads assets and uses them in his map, but changes the path, it will not be clear who actually made it (since the name is changed, and another user couldn't just search for that changed name in the database).

However the answer lies in your second phrase: "credit the author". @AMarkov it won't matter what you change the paths to inside your map, as long as you have properly credited the author for their work (e.g. "USERNAME made Icon X"), people will be able to recognize who made what, which is the point of a credits list.
Perhaps I phrased my request incorrectly. But you understood me correctly.

I'm just changing the paths where resources are registered when publishing "Resources in use". In my case, when publishing the map, no resource with hive will be displayed. And I will have to give an extensive list of loans, which I will write manually. All right?

I sincerely respect all the authors of the models and icons that were used in the project. But the project is vast and I can't afford to use the standard paths without creating a "dump" from the imports. Each embedded resource has a category, but is implemented as a string, with no subfolders.

Status
Not open for further replies.