• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Resource Rating Adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
There should be a requirement to comment in order to rate a resource, particularly for low ratings. Far too many times I've seen lots of very low (like 1s) ratings being given without any comments given, on resources that receive otherwise good ratings. What use is that to anyone?

Forcing people to comment to rate might actually improve feedback.

Also, I'd suggest changing ratings to not merely consider the average, but possible something like the average of the central two quartiles, or possibly the median or something. As it stands, the top rated maps are basically decided by how many jealous/spiteful 1 ratings a resource gets.

Level 22
Hmm....
Not that I disagree with your idea, but it may have the unintentional effect of reducing the amount of ratings that resources get....

Perhaps having a rep requirement to rate something might be the way to go on that. If someone's active in the community, then they can comment.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Actually, I think the opposite of you. FAR to many fives are given out without a reasonable comment, people say things like "OMG EPIC MAP LOLZ" and give it a 'highly recommended' rating when, lets be honest, 9/10 times they won't play the map ever again in their lives.

As for Ghan's comment, Rep is hard enough to get as it is. If we implemented a rep rating system then one of two things would happen:

1) We'd have to encourage, even more so, the giving of rep

2) Only terrainers would be able to rate a map.

I think that a rating of 3 is fine, as is 2. I've never given a 5, and I've only given about 3-4 fours. If anything, we need to define how to decide on a rating, and how to reply with a semi-descent comment to justify giving the map a certain mark.

Level 14
Actually, I think the opposite of you. FAR to many fives are given out without a reasonable comment, people say things like "OMG EPIC MAP LOLZ" and give it a 'highly recommended' rating when, lets be honest, 9/10 times they won't play the map ever again in their lives.

As for Ghan's comment, Rep is hard enough to get as it is. If we implemented a rep rating system then one of two things would happen:

1) We'd have to encourage, even more so, the giving of rep

2) Only terrainers would be able to rate a map.

I think that a rating of 3 is fine, as is 2. I've never given a 5, and I've only given about 3-4 fours. If anything, we need to define how to decide on a rating, and how to reply with a semi-descent comment to justify giving the map a certain mark.

Going by the mean of the middle two quartiles would also cut out the retarded top end in most cases, as well as the retarded bottom end.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Going by the mean of the middle two quartiles would also cut out the retarded top end in most cases, as well as the retarded bottom end.

Doesn't that make this topic pointless? :p

But I see what you mean, we're either rating too weakly or, conversely, too strongly (bet you can't put more -ly's in a sentence than I can, ha!).

I really think we need to define the rule on rating.

Level 14
Doesn't that make this topic pointless? :p

But I see what you mean, we're either rating too weakly or, conversely, too strongly (bet you can't put more -ly's in a sentence than I can, ha!).

I really think we need to define the rule on rating.

...no. It gets rid of the most extreme votes' actual values, giving a fairer estimate of the actual voting.

Level 8
Different people have different ideas of what grade of map equates to what rating.
One person might rate a map as a 5, and someone who feels exactly the same way about the map might only give it a 4. The first guy might just be more enthusiastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.