• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Ah Lawd, he'e we go 'gain.

I posted a thread about this before, but I never got to make it because of personal issues.

Anyways, since I've come back, the thought of trying this again has continuously crept into my mind. I've just been shoving it back because I can't terrain worth shit. (Hell, I can't do anything artistic! I can't even draw a stick figure right!)

So yeah, I've just started and wow... my terrain already sucks. I plan to go with it all the way but if anyone feels like derailing my terrain and overriding it with their's... please do. I'll even let you have one character of your choice in the game. (As long as it has some sort of valid reason dammit. No effing Naruto or Bleach or any garbage like that. Han Solo or Jim Raynor is where I draw the line. Han, because of his cameo in the game "Mercenaries, Playground of destruction" and Jim Raynor because I'm using the Marine as a temporary replacer.)

Anyways, the playable Mercenaries
Chris Redfield
Jill Valentine
Claire Redfield
Leon Scott Kennedy
Ada Wong
Jack Krauser
HUNK
Albert Wesker
Rebecca Chambers
Billy Coen
Barry Burton
Luis Sera
Steve Burnside
Carlos Oliveira
Donkey Kong (Not really)

The Idea of the game.

Same as the Mercenaries in RE4. You kill enemies, you get points. The points I decided, will be soley for bragging rights. I still may put in the Handcannon, but only as a weapon in a secret area. However, seeing as this is a multiplayer game, I will put a very heavy emphasis on teamwork. To attack it's not going to be homing. You can right click but just in case, I do intend to have a "Press A then left click in the direction you want to attack" feature. You CAN shoot your teammates on accident. So watch where you aim.

Also, I intend to PUNISH you if you try to go solo. No "Oh dear, I'm dying, better go back to my teammates. There they are on the minimap." at all. There is no shared vision. Once you get seperated, you're in trouble, as it'll only take about 4-5 hits for a normal enemy to kill you if you have lots of health.

Some mercenaries, are real team players. Rebecca Chambers for example. Her special thing is that not only can she produce medicines to heal your wounds. When healing items are used by Rebecca, their effects are doubled. (Absolutely sure this is possible. If not, I'll give her an ability to create green herbs.) But her downside is that she's initially equipped with her Samurai Edge, but two hits from a normal enemy will kill her. So protect her if someone chooses her.

Yet some however, can actually last a while when solo. Jack Krauser. He has a strangely powerful bow. Can take 5 hits from a normal enemy before dropping dead. And he's going to get his wtfbbqhax arm. Wesker is a another example. He's got a large arsenal of weapons and grenades to start out, thrust punch, and he's the ONLY character who can actually regain his health naturally over time.

The stage it's taking place on is the Pueblo (However, due to the fact it's an 11 player game, I'm hoping the level could go so far as the Del Lago lake.)

Terrain
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me when it comes to terraining? I can't do it worth shit. Yeah, sure, I could make the terrain, but it wouldn't even pass as half-assed. Seriously, incentive. Get to choose any reasonable character you want in, they're in. (Keyword: REASONABLE. There is no Naruto or anyone like that. Like I said, Han Solo and Jim Raynor is where I draw the line.)

If you do decide to make a terrain (Please for the love of god do it.) Have it be on rough dirt, try to make it close to the actual pueblo of RE4 up to the lake of Del Lago. Have a Tavern or 2 in the far off corner where no one can reach. In other words, from the gates to the first side of the Del Lago lake. Please. do this for me. Any reasonable character you want is in, Resident Evil or otherwise.

Triggers, JASS
I can do triggers, and could most likely learn the basics of JASS within a few hours. Summer started a bit ago so I have plenty of time.

Units
Aside from the Mercenaries, you got the ganados, definitley throwing in Dr. Salvador (Chainsaw ganado). And hopefully the Bella Sisters too.

Weapons
Handgun (Carlos, Billy, Claire)
Silenced Handgun (Wesker)
Samurai Edge (Chris, Jill, Rebecca)
Punisher (Ada)
Blacktail (Leon)
TMP (Ada, HUNK)
Semi Auto rifle (Ada, Wesker)
Magnum (Billy, Barry)
Flame Thrower (Barry)
Golden Guns/Lugers (Steve)
Submachine gun (Carlos, Claire)
Red 9 (Luis)
Matilda (HUNK)
Shotgun (Chris)
Riot gun (Leon)
Rocket Launcher (Jill)
Bow (Krauser)
Killer-7 (Wesker)

If you find you have no need for a particular weapon, just hand it over to someone who could use it. Krauser cannot use any weapon other than his bow. He cannot share it either (His arm is his ability, like how Wesker gets his thrust punch) But anyone else can use any other weapon. The names in the parenthesis just mean they start with it.

Items
First Aid Spray (Your Ankh)
Green herb (Heals 3 hp)
Red Herb (Combine with green to fully restore health)
Yellow herb (Combine with green or green and red to gain more health or gain more health and be healed fully.)
Blue herb (Combine with all of the above herbs in order to create another ankh)
Handgun ammo (For Handgun, Samurai Edge, Silenced Handgun, Matilda, Punisher, Blacktail, and Red9)
Rifle ammo (For Semi-Auto Rifle)
Shotgun ammo (For shotgun and Riot shotgun)
Arrows (For Krauser's bow)
Magnum ammo (For the magnum and Killer-7)
Fuel (For the flamethrower)
Rockets (For the Rocket Launcher)

If you have ammo for a weapon you don't have, give it to someone who does. Teamwork is your greatest ally. If your teammate is badly wounded and you've only been hit once, heal them instead. You get my point.

Models, Icons, Animations, etc.
This is intended for the very late late stages of the map. Like when everything else is done. Once I'm that far, I'll put up a request. But should you choose to do it now, pm me about animations. And as for which version of the character you want to do, that's completely up to you. If you want S.T.A.R.S. Wesker instead of his Code: Veronica or RE4/Dark Legacy scenario in Umbrella Chronicles look. Go right ahead. I'd like the modelers to have some freedom. So whichever version of the character they choose is fine by me.

Sounds/Music
No. Absolutely not. No music. Sounds however I could use.

I need the sounds of the weapons firing. And the death groans from all the characters

Final thoughts
Over all, I plan on seeing this to the end. Even if my terrain completely blows and I can't get a damned terrainer.

Anyways, here are two pictures. Sort of, taken from the same screenshot. 1 shows off my horrific terrain while the other shows just how weak you really are, so be careful. Also, don't worry, ganados have that low of health as well.

332nhwi.jpg

No need to tell me the terrain makes you want to kill yourself, I already know.

2lthhrn.jpg

Yes, that is how weak you are. Don't worry, ganados only do like 2 damage. Dr. Salvador is an instant kill.

And no, Jim Raynor is not in the game. I just don't want to have a marine named Chris Redfield running around.

So yeah, that's it. Have fun, enjoy. And remember.

There will be no damned Naruto characters here, forget it.

Level 15
Well, since your one of those really awesome hive' users, I'd love to help-but that's about it. I never actually played ANY of the Resident Evil games before (let alone one old one I tried when I was REALLY young, back in Jersey on my cousin's PS1). But I wish you luck on your map. You know... if your feeling up to it, why not just look at the tutorials? I mean, sure, it's hard, but on my first try at terraining, I actually did a pretty decent job. NOTE: I am not saying that you never thought of this before, because I know you did. I'm just bringing it up because... well, because.

Level 13
Tried the tutorials, didn't help much. Sure, I learned how to make rivers, waterfalls, mountains, valleys and hills. But I've got nothing when it comes to a barren village of ganados and the like.

Level 19
Tried the tutorials, didn't help much. Sure, I learned how to make rivers, waterfalls, mountains, valleys and hills. But I've got nothing when it comes to a barren village of ganados and the like.

It usually takes lots of practice to become a good terrainer. With time you'll become good.
When I began I only had a plain terrain and squared hights but after some practice I'm an ok terrainer.

Level 13
Perhaps you're right.

Maybe I should hold off on retrying the Mercenaries and work on maps that could help my terraining. I'd really like the terrain to do the villages and Del Lago's lake some justice.

If no one shows any terraining intrest still by the 15th, I'll put the project on hiatus.

Level 15
I tried to replicate Blood Gulch's terrain (from Halo), but it didn't work out THAT well, to be honest. However, it came out nicely, and it was my first terrain! And besides, we all need to start from somewhere. Don't give up on the project, but instead try to practice first. Try to make the villages. Learn from examples other people have made in the Terrain section. Trust me.

I think (not certain, though) that your problem is lack of custom models that, well... suit the "Resident Evil" theme. But think about it... Was Resident Evil Outbreak a BAD map, even though it didn't have good terrain or custom doodads? Terrain is eyecandy, nothing more. Sure, it makes your map look pretty, but listen... my map in an in-game perspective is different from a view in the World Editor. I hardly notice the terrain, to tell you the truth. Consider this: if you make a BEAUTIFUL terrain, will it TRULY affect gameplay in terms of gameplay? Or will it just add to the "beauty"? Not to say that terrain is NOT important. It IS. Almost as it is good to have proper grammar and spelling. But gameplay (and story) is the most important.

Status
Not open for further replies.