• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Rating vs Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
This is something me and Shadow Fury happened to talk about in VM's today. Basically we were discussing about ratings. Should we as reviewers judge strictly by rating, section by section or should we go by opinion?

Now, I am by no means trying to change the system, but I think this is something that is pretty interesting to talk about. And this doesn't apply to every map either, but this has happened to me many times.

Situation: You play a map and after completing it you've had pretty fun and would give it a 4/5 based on how fun you had playing it. However once you've reviewed it, the end rating is 3/5. Which is correct?

-Shadow Fury's Statement- If we don't judge section by section we're less professional.

-Chaosy's Statement- Entertainment should be more important than point in a section or two.

Level 32
Well, there's a couple of questions on this post. Thanks for posting, I enjoy seeing people post things to discuss in groups.

Chaosy said:
Should we as reviewers judge strictly by rating, section by section or should we go by opinion?

Here's my two cents. If you truly enjoy a map even though it isn't as high quality as maps with high ratings, I say feel free to rate it high to support the map maker. Sometimes, I rate the moderator rating differently from my personal user rating. I simply say the objective things in my review but I state subjective things out of the review (like at the end of the review).

Something like this is what I'm referring to:
"As a fan, I rate this a five out of five due to ___, but as a reviewer / moderator, I'd rate this a four due to ___. I've chosen to rate it five out of five but others should know that the map isn't for everyone due to the things I've just stated."

Chaosy said:
Situation: You play a map and after completing it you've had pretty fun and would give it a 4/5 based on how fun you had playing it. However once you've reviewed it, the end rating is 3/5. Which is correct?

There isn't a correct rating a user may give. You choose which rating to give a know what causes the rating you give will be.

-Shadow Fury's Statement- If we don't judge section by section we're less professional.

-Chaosy's Statement- Entertainment should be more important than point in a section or two.

You both have fair points. I can't put one on top of the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.