• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Range Increase Abilities--Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
So I was wondering if anyone has ever solved the issue of trying to add range to a unit and be able to revert to the unit's old range. i.e. a melee hero pick up a bow and suddenly takes on a ranged attack with arrow projectiles. So far I have tried the following:

Doing it with upgrades, but the range bonus cannon be taken back.

Item orb abilities don't do anything.

Making the melee hero already ranged and adjusting acquisition range with triggers doesn't work.

Root(ancient protector) worked, but makes the unit stationary.

Orc cargo hold doesn't work.

Eat tree wasn't much good either because the range would stay with the hero after the hero lost his ranged weapon.

So far, finding a permanent ability which adds ranged attack from an item seems to be impossible. So, my solution was to replace the hero with a hero that has a ranged attack already. The trigger deletes the old melee unit and immediately replaces it with a ranged unit that looks identical and then gives the ranged item to the new hero. Unfortunately this takes an immense amount of triggering (one trigger has 5 nested for-loops). The triggers will work for turning a melee unit into a ranged, but I am having a hard time turning the ranged unit back into the melee unit and I believe there is a simpler answer than intense trigger programming.

I have poured over many forums and found that most answers to this problem do not work.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem that I have missed??

Level 3
So say the spell- Bear Form? then using triggers, order the unit to use the ability? What if all the ability slots on the hero are already taken? Maybe put the ability on the item?

The unit does not have to use it, nor does it have to appear in the command bar. Just adding and removal will morph it, since the values are switched.

Create another ability with normal values (normal form is shorter range, alternate has longer) then add/remove it from the hero when you want the range reduced back.

Status
Not open for further replies.