• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Railroad system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Not actually done it, but I could if I wanted to.

I would make the track a unit, then I'd use an array point (or x/y, both works) variable and store detected locations of the track. Then check for another track from the last detected track.
You'd also have to take model size and facing into account, as long as your track doesn't have some weird shape (non linear actually) it wont be that difficult.

Someone needs to "build" the road first. The train needs to know where to go next.
This might happen also via triggers only. It's not needed to happen physicaly at the game, with units/buildings and effects. But it looks better of course.

The problem is that it has a weird shape and curves.
Is the problem about visuals?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

As everyone is talking about an actual railroad, I would like to bring up an alternate way.

Dependent on your needs, you could also use a static model, like a plane and animated textures, or with different animations.
You would manipulate a unit's facing then instead of x/y, which is, in my opinion, easier, isn't it ?

The main problem with this solution is to make the static model look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.