• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Question] Art Tools & Animations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey!

I'm pretty new to modeling and animation, so I have a few basic questions I couldn't find an answer to.

1) Default units bleed when killed, though it seems to be not part of the animation. A footman using my custom model did not bleed, so it's death animation looked pretty crappy.
So where does it come from?

2) I can't get my decay animations to work. The Art Tools documentation says both 'Decay - Flesh' and 'Decay - Bones' should last 1800 frames. Is this mandatory? I just want a decay animation of the unit 'sinking' into the ground, but not leaving a skeleton, how should I do this?

3) Is it possible to make an attack animation be rarer than the others like in stand?

Thanks in advance!

Kount said:
2) I can't get my decay animations to work. The Art Tools documentation says both 'Decay - Flesh' and 'Decay - Bones' should last 1800 frames. Is this mandatory? I just want a decay animation of the unit 'sinking' into the ground, but not leaving a skeleton, how should I do this?

Decay - Flesh happens before the Decay - Bones, you can always leave "something" instead of using bones, you could use some parts of the model ( if it is mechanical or something ), then when you decay the bones, have these parts sink...

For 1. I dono
For 3. I think so by adding "Rarity - 3" or higher... ? but I'm not sure

T.

Level 4
Thanks for the reply

Decay anim works now, but the rarity stuff unfortunately didn't. My model has three different attack anims, of which 2 are just normal weaponswings and the third being some spin-move. It's not awesome, but it looks decent when used every now and then inbetween the other hits. Right now it often plays several times in a row :angry:

Edit: Aaw I'm an idiot -_-

It does work, thanks man, much better now. Accidently imported the wrong file:hohum:

Edit2: Umm, got a new question.

Instead of decaying, this model's corpse is being burned. So i added particle emmiters for fire & smoke. It worked well, but something is strange ingame:
After the decay animation played, its played again, but backwards. This is only ingame, neither 3dsmax nor magos experience this problem. What can I do to fix it?

Last edited:
the reason it plays again backwards has to do with the particle emitter being linked to a bone. Wc3 cleans bones that are linked to geosetanim which has gone off. This explains why when you add new geosets and you link them to a bone, without adding new geosetanims for it, the new geoset will attach on other models after death.

The solution is that you create a helper, link the bone to the helper, pass the bone animations to the helper and you link the particle emitter to it.

Level 4
One particle emitter indeed was linked to my bone_root because of something I was trying out but eventually didn't need. So I just unlinked it.

There also seemed to be a problem with having only a 'Decay Flesh" anim but no "Decay Bone", although i don't really need the latter.

Thanks guys, problems solved for now :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.