• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

PSU broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure that the PSU is broken, I just wanted to get a confirmation / other opinion on it.
For a rather long time, the computer has had trouble turning on well - having to stand for a while after turning the power switch on, turning off and on again, until it somehow 'stabilized'.
Now, after being away for a weekend, it just won't turn on - the screen does turn on, out of the same multibox, everything else works, I've changed sockets, power cables, plugs, slots. Nothing worked. I've even let it stand for several hours and then tried to turn it on, not a flicker of light. So I'm wondering - is that related to it.

Also, could other parts be affected if the power wasn't enough? I'm pretty sure that my HD is broken too, it gives blue screens CONSTANTLY, often had messages about BIOS being not able to find the boot device (the HD), the HD's name being wrong in the BIOS (it was just called 'hard drive' or something like that).

Level 15
Try resetting the BIOS on the Mainboard by disconnecting power and removing the button battery for 15 minutes, might just be some funky corruption.

Another thing you can try is to open up the PSU and see if you can see anything nice and blackened, or if a capacitor has a leak/bulge.

I think it probably is the PSU, but might not be, never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.