• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Preview "stand" animations by default, show the non-portrait model by default and broken team color preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
It always shows the first animation which might be "birth" or "death" when I cick on the 3D model preview. It would be useful to always see the stand animation if there is one. Especially for resources with many different models in the list like: Medieval Wall
The team color preview doesn't work for this model either.

edit:
And the preview for this texture shows some models with it: View in 3D

edit2:
Sometimes it shows the portrait model first when clicking on View in 3D below the download button.
You could set preference to the non-portrait model or open portrait and regular models together in a list.

Last edited:
in case it helps, here is the source code for how Retera Model Studio picks a stand animation by default:

Pretty simple. As I walk once through the list of animation sequences, I take the first animation I see then update it to be any new animation that I see if either:
  • The animation I picked last time does not have "stand" in the name
  • The animation I'm looking at now has "stand" in the name and has a shorter name length than whatever I picked before (so "stand 1" gets picked over "stand fourth")

It's just some heuristic I made up, but I have basically never heard anyone complain about it and it adds that sense of liveliness to start out the model showing stand as soon as someone clicks it.

Edit: As an aside, in the substantially refactored twilac version of Retera Model Studio, I'm seeing that the same algorithm appears as a helper function in this ViewportHelpers utility thing:

To me that suggests that even when other code author(s) go in and reorganize and refactor everything and redo stuff, there was not a motive to change this so it probably serves them pretty well too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.