• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[General] Pasting on Top of Already Existing Objects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Let's say you have fences lined up to form a square.

• You copy+paste that square of fences at a different location.
  • You then place 25 torches in a specific pattern within the original fences you want to then paste at the other location.
  • You want it to be an exact copy, so you copy the fences along with the torches to make sure it all lines up.
  • You go to paste the fence+torch pattern, lining up the pasting fences to the fences already placed.
  • You click and nothing is placed because the fences can't be placed on top of one another.

How do you get around this problem without deleting the fences already placed?

Is there a key I can press before pasting to place the torches and not the fences because they can't be placed on one another?

Would appreciate some help on this matter.

Level 9
I may have misunderstood that but why can't you simply place all the fences and torches and them copy+paste them both?

Also you can place all the torches, them select them with shitf + Left mouse button, and then you can copy all torches and place them like the first time you placed them

Level 3
Did you try holding shift while placing?
Yeah, but it still wasn't placing.

I may have misunderstood that but why can't you simply place all the fences and torches and them copy+paste them both?

Also you can place all the torches, them select them with shitf + Left mouse button, and then you can copy all torches and place them like the first time you placed them
Because my method is to go layer by layer, adding in small things every time I go over an area. Your way would not work in this case.

Plus just copying the torches by themselves wouldn't guarantee it's evenly centered or mirrored.

Level 9
Yeah, but it still wasn't placing.

Because my method is to go layer by layer, adding in small things every time I go over an area. Your way would not work in this case.

Plus just copying the torches by themselves wouldn't guarantee it's evenly centered or mirrored.

Well from what you wrote here, i understood that you made a fence pattern, then you copied that, then you made a torch pattern and you want to copy that. In this case if you select all torches with shift and paste them in the last fence pattern it should fit, since it's the same as the other.

Also there are option in the WE to pase stuff symmetrically. Under edit > copy vertically or orizontally

Level 3
Well from what you wrote here, i understood that you made a fence pattern, then you copied that, then you made a torch pattern and you want to copy that. In this case if you select all torches with shift and paste them in the last fence pattern it should fit, since it's the same as the other.

Also there are option in the WE to pase stuff symmetrically. Under edit > copy vertically or orizontally
You are still misunderstanding the point of the post. I'm trying to paste over objects using the fence pattern because it's attached to the grid and therefore symmetrical and even.

I cannot do some by pasting normally as the editor does not allow you to paste over objects already occupying a grid space with another object that occupies grid space. I am wondering how I can paste a "finished" piece over an "unfinished" piece to complete it and therefore make it look like the completed piece, essentially.

I'm not looking for a work around, I'm looking for a direct way to do so like a key command because it would be a more efficient use of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.