• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Spell] On the autocast Arrow spells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
To put it simply, I have a Hero in my map that has an autocast skill that deals damage and slows both movement and attack speed for a brief time, for no cost but on a cooldown. So, it should be simple, right? Just use either Frost Arrow or Poison Arrow as a base, and you're golden.

Except, well, that doesn't entirely work. At times, when autocast, the spell doesn't go on cooldown. But, more troublesome, is that that buff isn't given to the target, nor is it slowed in either movement speed or attack speed, even when normally casted. The damage always works, which is a bit of a problem when the spell doesn't go on cooldown.

The thing is, I've used Poison Arrow for two other spells, and while one works perfectly fine (with a cooldown, even!), the other gives the wrong buff; the default poison one instead of the fire-y one it's supposed to.

So, are the spells just buggy and unreliable as bases, or is there something you have to do to get them to work? Because I've been treating them as normal spells, as in just replace the values that need to be replaced.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The arrow spells when autocast modify the units actual attack. Casting them gives separate behaviour. For example an arrow spell with infinite range will still be limited to the hero range when autocast but can be manually cast at infinite range with funny results (the hero spasams out until next normal attack).

Level 2
It can be buggy if you have two different versions of the same spell on a unit.
I know this, and they're not all on the same unit. Infact, the peeps with attack modifiers only have that one modifier.

The arrow spells when autocast modify the units actual attack. Casting them gives separate behaviour. For example an arrow spell with infinite range will still be limited to the hero range when autocast but can be manually cast at infinite range with funny results (the hero spasams out until next normal attack).
When I tried something like that (turning a meleer into ranged via autocast) I did notice that it didn't actually add any range unless manually casted, which resulted in the attack missing unless the target was actually in melee range.

That all said, does anyone actually know what could be causing the lack of buffs (and slow on the first mentioned spell)? I've tried both Frost and Poison Arrows for that attack, and neither do anything but the attack's damage and they screw up with the cooldown. I've noticed the other two don't have cooldown troubles; do the Arrow spells act funky on melee units?

Level 3
is the effect chance set to 100%? it sounds like it only sometimes works just like poison arrow and whatnot should but those are on a sometimes basis if i remember

Level 2
As far as I can see, there is no effect chance field for the autocast spells I'm using as a base. They just apply their effects on every cast, as far as I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.