• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

NewGen WE & Latest Warcraft - Compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Greetings, fellow mappers

Recently, I downloaded what should be the latest version of the NewGen pack - version 1.5c. According to my knowledge, this is the latest version, however I know that the latest version of Warcraft (1.24e, I think) is two or three years younger than the latest version of NewGen, and so a few concerns of mine regarding compatibility have arisen.

You see, I wanted to go through with a map idea I've had (I can't say what it is -- spoilers, y'know :xxd:), but I've wanted to implement some of the NewGen world editor's features into it. What I'm worried about, though, is that my final product will be incompatible with my Warcraft. I understand Grimiore will not work with the latest version of Warcraft, and I don't think Reinventing the Craft (RtC) works either, but I'm talking about the other components, such as TESH, vJASS capability, UMSWE and so on. Will it really end up being incompatible if I use those? I've not come across any other person complaining about this happening, so I don't know if it's just me, but I'd like to be sure before I actually go through with it.

P.S: Just a secondary question: would NewGen features/extensions such as more-than-usual map size (I'm saying over 256x256) and heavily customized tilesets affect compatibility, too?

Will give +rep for helpful answers. Thank you.

Thank you for your time,
Elite Slayer

Level 2

Recently, I downloaded what should be the latest version of the NewGen pack - version 1.5c. According to my knowledge, this is the latest version, however I know that the latest version of Warcraft (1.24e, I think) is two or three years younger than the latest version of NewGen, and so a few concerns of mine regarding compatibility have arisen.

Latest version is 1.25, I don't use NewGen so I don't know if that is the problem but you could test I suppose..

Level 7
Ah, I see. And yup, that's what I did. I fired up NewGen and tested out some of the features, and most of them work fine. The extensions and many of the components are fully compatible with Warcraft, and so I think mapmaking in it would prove useful. Of course, one or two components don't work, but that's reasonable. I guess I can say this query has been solved. Anyways, thanks for your help, I'll still +rep you. :wink:

The latest version is actually v5d. Click here to download it. Also, NewGen should work with all patches (although it may have a bit of trouble with GUI hashtable functions), even 1.25. You can always just use NewGen to add the features you need and switch back to the normal editor. ;)

You see, I wanted to go through with a map idea I've had (I can't say what it is -- spoilers, y'know :xxd:), but I've wanted to implement some of the NewGen world editor's features into it. What I'm worried about, though, is that my final product will be incompatible with my Warcraft. I understand Grimiore will not work with the latest version of Warcraft, and I don't think Reinventing the Craft (RtC) works either, but I'm talking about the other components, such as TESH, vJASS capability, UMSWE and so on. Will it really end up being incompatible if I use those? I've not come across any other person complaining about this happening, so I don't know if it's just me, but I'd like to be sure before I actually go through with it.

The only thing that is not compatible with Warcraft is RtC, which is disabled. Everything else is all fully 100% compatible with warcraft and should have no errors. (Be careful with UMSWE and WEU though, as those are a bit less friendly for other people opening the map) TESH is simply syntax highlighting for JASS, which is not related to the map itself, and vJASS is just an interface for actual JASS, so it is completely compatible. :)

P.S: Just a secondary question: would NewGen features/extensions such as more-than-usual map size (I'm saying over 256x256) and heavily customized tilesets affect compatibility, too?

Will give +rep for helpful answers. Thank you.

Thank you for your time,
Elite Slayer

They are all compatible. Maps with sizes over 256x256 have been known to crash sometimes, but it should still work fine if you make your map correctly. Tiles work fine as well. In WEU, they used to cause weird bugs because they would also include the cliffs, which would not always work, but luckily NewGen fixed that.

As far as compatibility goes, JNGP is 100% compatible, and it is a great tool to help you out with map making, if installed and used correctly. :)

Level 7
Wow, thanks for the great and detailed insight, PurgeandFire. It's deeply appreciated. I'll go download 1.5d straight away. And wow, I didn't know Grimiore was compatible... I believe I had once read somewhere it wasn't, but I guess that was just a tall tale. Anyways, once again, thank you. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.