• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

New to World Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I just got Warcraft 3 on a mac using Wineskin and I'm kinda confused as on how the whole World Editor works. Can custom characters and models be used on the normal maps and you just mess with it as you please in the editor or are they for player made maps only? I've looked up several videos and tutorials on how to do it but it never seems to save when I try a custom character or try and upload a new model when reopening the World Editor. If anyone could help or explain it'd be greatly appreciated.

Level 24
Blizzard made maps can be editted... but then... they are player made maps.
So you can use a custom model in a player made map but not in Blizzard's maps.

Unless you use local files and place the models on the exact same path but that is not recommended.

Do you want it to be changed for other people as well or only for you?

Level 1
I just got it so I've only done solo play in like Custom Game, so for now maybe just me. After messing around with it a ton I got the Knight of the Ebon Blade model from this site to work but only on random creepers rather than like the actual Hero I want it on. So would I import the model skin to every map and play it like that?

Level 24
That is the best way...
However you can use local files and put it in the correct folder in your warcraft 3 directory.
Do do this, you have to go to the registry.
I am not familiar with apple so I don't know how it actually works there... I am even afraid that you cannot open it because it is apple.

Are you familiar with the registry?

Level 1
I emulate it with wineskin so from what i seen it functions and looks like windows, but I'm fine with just going in and editing every map. Can you copy the edited unit and then just kinda paste it onto the next map or does it need to manually be punched in?

Level 24
You have to open the Import Manager.
There you can import custom stuff like models.
After that, you move to the object editor and look for the unit you want to have that model on.
Look for the field "Art - Model" and change it to the imported one (it is a simple option from the drop-down box).

After that you save the map again.
When you have textures as well, you probably have to edit the path towards the model and textures too.
If so, double click on the item in the import manager and check "Use Custom Path" and remove the "war3mapImported\" part from it. It might have a different path but then it is mentioned in the post where you have it from.

Level 1
Ya, I got it to work. I think the issue I was having is that the guide I had looked up said to make a new custom character so that it didn't mess up the original file and I wasn't doing it right. Thanks a ton for the help!

Level 24
barrel-silvermaple-280x473.png

Uhm... thanks I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.