• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

New RPG

What Topic Should the Map Be?

• Defense of the Ancients

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Completely Custom

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Okay, I know everyone hates me, but I want to make a new RPG that I've planned very thoroughly (I don't think I spelt that right, but it means... uhh... thorough? I don't know, just means well planned out as the sentence in whole I guess).
The map will be an RPG (It says it in the name for those who are blind) in which players can do almost anything (Lets stay reasonable... you can't become a god of the game and take over the entire world or go immortal forever... It's not going to be gay like that). I'm planning a Save/load code to be established and am deciding whether or not it would be able to work (I might add something like you can own buildings... and that most likely cannot be saved because if two people own the same building... who gets it as true owner?). Now here's my floor plan:

You can be any of the following:
Blacksmith, Warrior, Scout, Ranger, Archer, Necromancer, Knight, Mechanic, Carpenter, Trader, Hunter, Cleric, Monk, Shaman, Shadow Knight, Bard, Rifleman, Peasant, Farmer, Accountant, Prison Gaurd, Gaurd, Safekeeper, Defender, Paladin, Assassin, Druid, Beastmaster, Mage, or Sorcerer.
Note: There will be upgraded versions of the classes listed above... like a Mage could become an Arch Magi.

This is how the map is set up (It's not completely finished, so if you help me, you can also help me plan what the entire thing is going to be in whole):

-Village: You start off in a simple village on the very top left of the map. The village has merchants, shops, a prison, moderate defenses, a few hideouts, citizens, assassins/thieves, a church, beggars, etc.
-Desert: To the right of the village will be a large desert that will take up about 1/50 of the map in square footage (Not really footage, but whatever... that's how much space it takes up.). It will have barbarians, wildlife scientists, beggars, creep camps of kobolds (Like panda warriors), thieves, bandits, and other wild animals yet to be decided.
-Ocean: To the bottom right to the right of the desert, there will be an ocean-like river that will take up about 1/10 of the entire map. This is going to be a large part with boat transports, ports, docks, merchants, beggars, travelers, a small defense, and alot of ships. Ships will take you around without you controlling them.
-Forest: On the very upper right of the map will be a forest that stretches down the right side of the map. This place will be a dark and cold forest where it rains ALL THE TIME (remember: ALL THE TIME!). There will be Trolls, snakes, ogres, gnolls, travelers, a few people who hand out quests (this does NOT mean that in the port and the village and all the other places don't have quests. I just thought that you should know there is life here where people are missing their kittens and stuff like that (Not really kittens, but whatever... there will be quests, get the point).).
-City Aldragar: There are going to be around 5 cities in this map, so I'm going to name every single one in the title not to make you confused. So this city is placed at the very bottom of the forest. King Arthur Aldragar is here and will give you a special quest for the Monk only. This is the MPQ (Monk Primary Quest). There is HEAVY defenses in this place and a constant stream of trolls from both the left, the top, and the bottom of the city that try to invade. The defenses will fend them off. You can kill them for exp, but be warned if the gaurds kill them, you get no EXP/drop/gold. This place will also have a LOT of merchants, stores, shopkeepers, stores, banks, stores, buildings, stores, and gaurds (I said stores 4 times because there will be like... 40 stores. I'll design them myself, don't worry.)

After that, the rest will be decided soon. If you are interested, PM me or post up you want to help. If you want to make any suggestions, please do. And to get you guys on my side, anyone that helps will be put on map-maker admin list, where you can boot anyone out of the game without being red or whatever, and you can only get this power by helping me :D .

Thanks for reading this. I'm not asking for help because I need help, it's just that this map is so damn big that without help, it'd take like a year or so to complete. And besides, I'd get some extra ideas and stuff like that... so... yeah.

This is the list of people currently hired:
-Rui
-DemonScythe

+~Kamikazzee~+

P.S. I have the poll for my own feedback. I need some feedback on my ideas. Like I say, I'm the learning guy...

Level 7
how could one rate this?

you described next to nothing about the actual mechanics of the RPG

all i know from the description is you're going to have classes (well, what RPG doesn't have this?) and theres going to be some places to go...

Level 6
If you want more detail, I'll tell you when I get back from school. I don't have enough time to tell you the entire thing. Besides, I was going to include it, but when I hit submit it said that ugly "Message is too large to post" message. So in that case, I would have told you if the site would allow me to post more info up.

Level 6
Okay, for the mechanics:

Recently (Very recently), I've come across a grouping trigger. Someone asked how to do it and I said that if they allowed me to put it in my map, I'd show them how. We made a deal, and now I got this all going on. I am making the trigger into my map. When it is finished, people will be able to group. Here's how it works:

The trigger is a complicated trigger requiring # of players x2 + 3-5. It will allow you to:
1. Invite players into your group by pressing the Esc. Key.
2. The invitation is sent, and the other player is offered to accept the invitation UNLESS he is currently attacking something. It will wait until his character doesn't have the "Attack" command active. I find it annoying that when your in a RPG and trying to kill something, then a pop-up comes up and asks "Do you want to join the Red Party?" And then you die... So that is why that's in effect.
3. When ungrouped, you will recieve no EXP from someone elses kill. If you ARE grouped, you will recieve the EXP if you are grouped with the killing player and will recieve a 10% Bonus EXP when grouped rather than the normal 100% when you kill something alone.
4. You can leave a group at ANY time by pressing the Up Arrow to ungroup.

The following are special triggers that are not normally in an RPG. Many normal RPG triggers will be in the map:

-The Choose Character Trigger: Probably the most common yet laggiest and suckiest trigger out there is the little "Wisp in the circle" choose hero trigger. But, since I'm not that cheap, I'm going with a more complicated version. There will be a circle infront of each character. If you click on the circle, a popup of text will come up describing hero attributes, skills, armor/weapon type, range, etc. When a character clicks on the hero, they will get the hero. But still, i find the ORIGINAL version of this one quite annoying. If you are a noob, you sometimes randomly just click the screen trying to get things going. Then you click on a character and get a character you don't want. Then the noob gets all pissed and leaves and whines and it just ruins the game for others. I'll have an info bar that'll last 60 seconds at the start of the game warning noobs not to do that AND I will also have a dialog come up after they click the hero asking "Are you sure you want this hero?" If they ACCIDENTALLY yet again click the "Yes" button, there will be a repick that lasts 10 minutes into the game (600 seconds).
-Prison Trigger: Like I said before, there is a PRISON in the village and some towns. The prison has 8 vans (Steam Tanks) parked outside loaded with two Police Officers (Marines). When someone tries to attack either another player, a neutral person, or a friendly computer ONLY in the village/town, the persons' assigned Van will start to come toward you. When it comes within 500, the two officers get out of the car and a dialog appears. The dialog has 3 options: Pay Time, Pay Fine, or Resist Arrest. When someone chooses to pay time, they are put in a jail cell with a "Prisoner" (Peasant) for 24 hours game time. When they choose pay fine, they pay a large fine that equals about 1/100th of their total gold. If they resist arrest, the officers will shoot their asses off at you and you WILL die, the officers are gonna be super-strong, making sure that the law is never broken. If, in fact, you can kill the two gaurds, you get a free "Kill Warrant" in which you may now do as you please whether it be with a friend or foe (Man, I'm going to have to make sure I get a code for someone with this already pre-made. That'll kick ass!).
-First-Person View: The already-said "I'm going to have a first-person view" thing has already been said. The thing is, most people probably are asking "How is that supposed to work?" Well, what you do is you take an invisible dragon that always moves right over your characters head. Then you make a camera that follows him for every player. When you lock the persons view to the camera, since the camera has 0 range view from the outside, it'll look first-person. Then there's another problem most people are going to ask, "How do you turn around?" The Right and Left arrow keys will spin the CAMERA, yet not the character. Why not? Because like you know that the character spun? When you go to move/attack/cast a spell, you'll turn that direction anyways. So that's not a problem either. The turning degrees will be 45 Degrees, making it be four presses to do an exact 180 (Full turn).

If you guys want to help me plan more, you're welcome to do so. I'll have plenty more, but keep in mind that this map is in DEVELOPMENT. It's not completely planned.

Level 6
yes well, the mechanics sound very typical.. nothing really new... about the first person view thing... reconsider that a bit... if your unit gets close to a cliff and you turn the camera around, you're looking through the cliff... thats always fun
-Blue

Level 3
I think I can help out, I don't have much knowledge in map-making, but I never tire, not much anyways. and besides your map sounds great.

Level 6
If anyone here likes DotA, this map's heros are going to be like DotA characters. My map-making friend, chieftan of CmP, has made an unprotected DotA HIMSELF. It's almost exactly alike, yet the heros are different and there are 6 levels to normal spells and 4 to Ultimates (BTW, the map will be released once I finish testing it and fixing it up a bit for him. His spell-making skills suck like hell, so I really need someone who can make good spells).

Alright: Here's what I have and need so far:

Have:
2 Terrainers (Me and FriedGlassOnion, leader of CmP)
2 Triggerers (Me and FriedGlassOnion)
1 Unitmaker (FriedGlassOnion)
1 Special Effectsman (Me)
1 Cameraman (Me)
MIGHT have 1 Save/load-maker (Ventura22, maker of VQuest and the original idea developer of Everquest 2: Uncharted Lands)
MIGHT have 1 Writer (My friend, Wojman89)

Need:
Might need 1 JASSer, could have him (BertTheJasser... if you must know)
1+ Unitmakers (I can't have FGO make every unit)
4+ Testers (Most people would want to sign up for this, because your all saying my map sounds good... :D )
1+ Spellmakers (You can guess why... because FGO sucks at spells VERY badly)
1+ Modelers/skinners (This is optional... I might just use the pre-made models and skins, but it wont be as cool)
2+ Icon-makers (I really, really want custom icons for this. It seems to me that almost none of the icons that I've seen on this site would fit my map)

As for that you are all saying I should spice it up, I must say, I've NEVER played WoW (But if you say it's so much like it... then maybe I should get it since this is what I would like to play!). But the only thing I can say to you guys now is three words: IT'S IN DEVELOPMENT

So having all that cleared up for now, I will tell you when I have some more ideas. I'll be searching around the fourms looking at others' ideas' to get me thinking. If you guys want to make any suggestions (Which I've suggested that you do over and over again (Wow, I used "suggested" in me wanting you to suggest something that I want to hear about... wow)), please feel free to MAKE SUGGESTIONS if you would.

Thankyou and have a nice... uhh... cloudy day? Oh what the heck, just have a nice day/night however the weather may be!

Kamikazzee

Level 3
I can do tooltips, and make descriptions look really professional, that's one of the few things I'm good in map-making, hehe, for example make the values of skills which change by level, have a specific color, etc.

Level 6
Wow, I'm getting lots of people to help me. I'm going to have to make a list on the first post.

DemonScythe, HIRED!
Rui, HIRED!

I just wanted to make sure you're clear that you're hired for the job. I'll be PMing you when I get my mouse back (my dad ALWAYS takes it on school days and most of the time gives it back around supper-time). So in that case, I just want to give you guys a job if your bored:

I need a melee hero that has a projectile of blood to hit the enemy, making it look like the enemy was hit and now is bleeding. For any of those who want to be a Triggerer, I would also want a trigger to make it so that when the hero hits someone, the attacked unit keeps bleeding and blood keeps coming out. As for his damage/defense/stats/hp/mana and whatever, make it low. The idea of this game is to have people take a TERRIBLY long time leveling up. There will be 1,000 level limit on the game, and in that case, you will be leveling up slow (I am not trying to be a jerk, I just want it so many people will be playing the game for a long time and wont get too bored). The character name I want 9 names for: Ziljidan, Ogriter, Daahoud, Nexunus, Slovar, Gulzhang, Cshale, Crowe, and Shultz. For character class, I want it to be Dark Theif. In that case, I want his primary attribute Agility (I will be changing the name of Agility to Dexterity, so whichever one you want to adress it by, it's fine with me). The model and skin and soundset I can set up myself, depending on what I can get that will fit my own view of what a Dark Thief should look like. As for you, DemonScythe, I want a tooltip (Extended) with this on it (You can professionalize it in your own way... but that's just your choice of how you want it to look):
Code:
[i]The Dark Thief is a soul of many torchers in a human body.  It likes to make mischief at the price of others.  The torment that the soul has gone through is no match to what any living thing has ever seen.  The abuse of these long-lost spirits are extremely disturbing, mind-rattling, and downright wrong.  Although the Dark Thief has been through so much, he has been trained for war by his own madness.  |cFF808080Can learn Madness, Pickpocket, Steal: Weapon, Steal, Armor, and Backstab.|r|n|n|cffffcc00Class: Thief|r[/i]
And as for the Tooltip (Basic), make it a dark gray or something whatever. But since you know how to professionalize it, go ahead and do whatever. Any questions about this I will answer ASAP.

+~Kamikazzee~+

P.S. I think I mispelt Thief/Theif alot of times, so make it Thief, the right kind of thief. I hope you'll understand that I'm not a terribly good speller with e/i's.

Level 6
Alright, considering that some people don't want DotA, I'm going to add a temporary 2-week poll to see if you guys want one of these topics for the RPG:

1. Superhero's like Superman, Batman/Robin, X-Men, etc.

2. Defense of the Ancients like I described before.

3. Completely custom, made up completely for everything about the map. This'll be something new as a topic for a map, but it may be more effective if we stick to the above 2 topics.

As said, it'll all be up to you guys about what the topic is like. The poll will figure everything out. Thankyou.

EDIT: Mods, look at the poll. Can you fix that for me? I don't know wtf happened, but whatever.

Level 4
for the most part it sounds pretty much just like all the others out there, but your pretty excited about it so it should come out better than most at least :D

as far as tip i only have 1 major one. remove the thought of being able to boot people from the game. by name anyways. tooo many noobs running around these days with those *grrr* spoof hacks. and your Map cant tell the difference between their name and yours when they are spoofed as a look-alike.

this is mostly because when it is out i plan to at least try it out, and i dont want some moron to kick me from the game halfway through because i never played before...

Level 7
anyways, this doesn't have anything to do with the RPG, but i don't see why maps always need like some elaborate team of people...

i mean, you have the triggerer which is the most important part of any map, and then some testers... voila

all the post production crap can come afterwards if the map is actually successfully completed

anyways, as for the map, i don't see why you want to have a super high level that takes a long time to get to
lets face it, warcraft3 is NOT a mmorpg engine -- i don't see why people have to try to make people play a repedative map over and over and over... why not have something managable, and if its recieved well, crank out another sequel or whatever

btw, just my suggestion, but put ALOT of randomness into your RPG, it makes things exciting when events happen/don't happen randomly, towns are set up differently, people take different actions, etc...

Level 3
>Recruit Request

Well, my specialty is triggers.

There's no trigger I can't make.

I've made a physics engine (was tempted to use it to recreate the last level of Halo 1, but decided against it as WC3 cameras, 1st or 3rd, don't work), a save/load system and just about any other trigger you can dream of.

I'm currently designing a menu skill that'll allow you, at the push of a button, to choose each hero skill from a pool of ~50 skills, each with 20 levels. You can reassign any hero skill at any time and the level of the skill that you swapped out will be remembered by the game. The menu is very fluid, and you can reassign any skill in seconds. As you can guess, I'm pretty proud of it ^^.

Back to my list, I've also made a fully functional equipment system (similar to the one on that long FF map, but much more fluid) and a flight simulator (albeit in 2 dimensions only).

Now onto you. Firstly, I need to know that I'll not be wasting my time and effort. SO here's a short quiz:

1) What is the main story of your RPG? Just a rough outline'll do.

2) How much of your map is completed?

3) How would you rate your terrainer's skill? A map with poor terrain is always a poor map.

4) What makes your RPG different from the hordes of other RPGs out there and why should people play it?

5) Is the base tileset Ashenvale?

Lastly;

About the minor amount of towns, I hate playing RPGs where there's dungeon after dungeon but only a handful of towns. RPGs that are about nothing more than fighting won't last long in a community (the WC3 community) which has bought, hence a fan of the genre, a stratergy game.

About the 1st person camera. Don't. Seriously, WC3 has a birdseye view camera for a reason. 1st/3rd person cameras are annoying and may add a minor amount of environment, but overall, they suck.

Rapture[/u]

Level 6
Rapture... I love you.

NOT IN THE GAY WAY, but I love you because you can make a Save/Load Code and are willing to make one for me. I know you probably can't explain how to make one to me, but when you make it, I'll take a look and see if I can figure it out (I'm smart that way :D ).

Anyways, you're welcome... actually, more than welcome, on the team. And in that case, I'll answer your questions:

Q1) What is the main story of your RPG? Just a rough outline'll do.
A1) It's about a group of heros that are on an open RPG quest to destroy the depths of hell itself and rid the world of hate. They'll be going through several terrains and random events that will lead them to the Vampire Queen and Zombie King (They're real names are yet to be decided). When that has been accomplished, the map has several creep "camps" where creeps continually spawn. You'll wrack up a lot of EXP and items by killing these. They will have much variety.
Q2) How much of your map is completed?
A2) I've worked on it for about 7 hours in total so far (I'm moving soon, so it's been busy in real life. I'll have much more time to work on it next month and whatever.), so about 10-20% of the Terrain and Doodads are completed. I've been taking so long because I want this too look real nice :D .
Q3) How would you rate your terrainer's skill? A map with poor terrain is always a poor map.
A3) Well considering that when I look at it, it's more like real life than it is the game, I'd say a 9 or 10/10. The realism amazes me, there are flowers on the ground with mushrooms surrounding them, a river flowing peacefully from a mountain like any true river would into the village, and even some trash outside of the hermit merchants little spot of land. I just think that the terrain will be much better when the other terrainers take a look and make their own changes.
Q4) What makes your RPG different from the hordes of other RPG's out there and why should people play it?
A4) Really, I'm going to need some suggestions for how this map should have its twists. If it's only my idea on what it should be, the map would suck like hell because I'm a pretty strange guy. When it comes to this question as a whole, the only thing I can say and have been saying is: "The Map is in Development". So... this is yet to be decided and the community itself will be able to have their turn in how they think they'd want the map to be.
Q5) Is the base tilest Ashenvale?
A5) The tilests are all modified. I have lava, grassy dirt, grass, sand, pebble pathway, stone pathway, and a few others that I can't remember. The main point I'm getting at is that the tilests have no real "base", they're COMPLETELY different. As for cliffs, we got Dirt Cliffs and Grass Cliffs, if that is what you're asking.

As for anything else, you can just ask me. AIM me if you want to ask me direct.[/code]

Level 6
@DemonScythe: Great, I'll make a hero and send you the map itself if you want. I also need an E-Mail adress or AIM Screen Name to send files back and fourth from everybody.
@Rapture: If you've noticed, I've tested ALL my recruits or will be testing ALL my recruits in some way. As for you, the save/load code is my main source of trying to see what you can actually do. My friend is making a 3rd-person shooter (He did very well and the camera and character do NOT screw you up since you can turn with the <- and -> arrow keys.) He's looking for a save/load code so people wont lose their rank in the game. This is what he told me:
Re8eL8: i want it to save Unit-Type/ EXP amount/ 6th and 7th didget in Player name
Re8eL8: and i want it to be short
Re8eL8: like 8-10 didgets
Re8eL8: 6th and 7th didget in player name cuz ur rank will be on ur name
Re8eL8: like if ur guys a private
Re8eL8: ur name will be [PVT]name
In that case, can you make that kind of simple save/load code? If you can, than just put it on a map with nothing in it but start locations and send it to my E-Mail "[email protected]" or IM me at "B100DN3CR0" on AIM.

Thanks,

+~Kamikazzee~+

Level 2
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

I could be a tester!
I play guitar and keyboard and you said everything is going to be custom. (im currently making the soundtrack for the Steel Titans project, check the forums for it). Im really good with triggers if you need any help with that..
uhhh...
Plz Reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.