• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Need help on editing maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi all, i am new to the world of editing, and i can't seem to be able to edit the map. Everytime i try to save or test the map, the ask me " Not all players starting location have been place. Automatically generate location?" If i click yes, when i test the map, the map can't be run. Any idea how to get past this? Thanks. I'm trying to edit a map called "afterlife v3.8z v2"

uue7.jpg

p7e4.jpg

Level 2
Do you have permission to edit the map?

what do you mean by that? Permission form the author? No. I;m actually editing this map to get a feel of how to create maps like this and i have no intention to share this map out. Neither am i trying to release this map out as my own creation, i'm just editing for the fun of it.

Another thing, is this a protected file? I thought that if a file is protected it cannot be opened in world editor?

Level 21
what do you mean by that? Permission form the author? No. I;m actually editing this map to get a feel of how to create maps like this and i have no intention to share this map out. Neither am i trying to release this map out as my own creation, i'm just editing for the fun of it.

Another thing, is this a protected file? I thought that if a file is protected it cannot be opened in world editor?

If it's protected/optimized, then it might open, but even if it does, then it will have problems. Just like the ones you're getting.
I think you should still ask the author or current owner of this map, just to be sure.
In my opinion it's okay to learn from maps by other people, as long as you're not stealing them. In that regard, I can give you tons of maps with finished or not so finished systems that might show how I developed.

Level 2
If it's protected/optimized, then it might open, but even if it does, then it will have problems. Just like the ones you're getting.
I think you should still ask the author or current owner of this map, just to be sure.
In my opinion it's okay to learn from maps by other people, as long as you're not stealing them. In that regard, I can give you tons of maps with finished or not so finished systems that might show how I developed.

There are quite a few of this map out there, and i'm not sure who is the author or current owner of the map. I'm not intending to steal the map, i'm not even gonna share this map with others, i'm just trying to tweak the game a little to my liking and play it myself.

If you could do that, it'll be great! :) i'm very interested in learning how to create a custom map but it seems so difficult to start.

Level 2
If i was right, this must be optimized, thus the map is protected via this barrier, the difference than usuak protection is that this map is designed to be open source BUT not save able, only for people to look at.

Oh i see. Thanks alot of telling me that. So i guess, there's no chance of editing it at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.