• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Campaign] Necrosi Chronicles: A D&D-inspired Warcraft 3-style saga

Level 6
Hello, everyone, I've long been lurking around HIVE and played a great many custom campaigns, eager to make my own project to share with the community. After over a decade and a half of trial and error, I have finally locked in my master plan of a project and wish to share the initial prototypes and notes. I'm sorta just gonna throw everything at the wall here and describe what I have so far:

NECROSI CHRONICLES is a series of fic writings I used to do since the end of High School, set in a world where magic has been dead for eons, and the gods long forgotten, only for it all to awaken in the modern day when a demon of prophecy fortells the end of all things, and the Gods' descent into madness. The writings follow a small family who first wield the magic in rebellion against a fascist dictatorship and their descendants go on to take the mantle of protectors of the multiverse, with some Dragonball Z-level power fantasying, Final Fantasy-esque epic conflicts and Silent Hill-esque psychological horror.

The setting of Necrosi I have used to run a Dungeons and Dragons campaign called Aeon of Silence, essentially the endgame to Necrosi, where the foretold 7 Aeons have finally awoken to end all of existence as we know it, and begin it again twisted into a Lovecraftian fantasy. The campaign is currently on hiatus due to IRL issues, but I hope to get back into it soon. In the meantime, I want to try and retell its events through the eyes of the major factions of the setting, shifted to fit the aesthetics and themes of the Warcraft universe. It wouldn't be straying from the source too much, as this is one of those universes where anything is canon, depending on which slice of reality you're observing.

So far, I am still collecting resources to construct the basics of all my factions, and big thanks to Wa66r, Footman16 and Sunreaver for their Altered Melee races maps. They've served as a big inspiration for my D&D game, and now my project based off it. I will post an update with screenshots in the editor when I have at least collected all the buildings I need to showcase each faction's style, and then one by one I will go through each faction's units and basic Heroes to give examples of their capabilities, and go over a little bit of each faction's history and lore.

I am currently working in 1.31b, even though the current version for Reforged is now able to play custom campaigns, simply because I'm not the biggest fan of the newer UI for everything, and partially out of spite as I initially paid for Reforged but for some reason was never able to access it, so I demanded a refund. Since then, I've basically boycotted the modern version of Warcraft 3, and while 1.26c served me well most of my time playing Warcraft 3, it wasn't able to support a lot of the awesome custom maps and campaigns out at the time, like Soul Reaver's To The Bitter End, and ironically, don't always work anymore with 1.31, like Nature's Call - Return of the Dragon.
Anyway, for a short overview of the setting of Necrosi...

THE WORLD OF NIBIRU - THE LAST TEXTS OF THE ADONAITES
The world began with one immortal sorcerer, the last man of his entire universe. A vain and power-hungry individual, He challenged the Gods for their right to power, and won.

However, in his hubris, by the time He figured out how to use his newfound divinity for its intended purpose, the fabric of reality cracked and shattered all around Him, and he used his omnipotence to start over. After creating the bare basics of a world and a civilization, whom he named the Adonaites, he went into a deep slumber, creating a small sect of Watchers to observe, but not interfere with, the Adonaites' evolution. Praying for their Maker to return, the Adonaites sacrificed their most beautiful woman, Lunariel, to gain His attention, hoping he would take her as his Bride. Sticking true to their orders, the Watchers did not intervene to stop them.

The Maker, hearing the commotion, awoke and reconstructed the unfortunate child and did give her a place by his side. However, she stole knowledge from him when he next slept and gave it to her kin, which they used to rapidly flourish under the eyes of the Watchers, who did nothing but observe.

When the Maker next awoke, he was furious, and attempted to punish both his children and his minions, but they had made Gods of their own to answer their prayers, and even his "angels" agreed that a lazy God who did not earn his worshippers is not fit to rule the cosmos. A great war of rebellion broke out, and the Maker was eventually defeated and sealed away by his "Bride", Lunariel, led by 8 other Demigoddesses, including the Maker's own two daughters. This tribunal formed the coven of the Nine Fates, the Overgods of the world who kept the lesser Gods in line, neither neglecting their peoples, nor attempting to take another's for themselves. Evenutually, the Adonaites died out or evolved into a new race underneath their chosen deity. The Nine were all that were left.

They vowed to create a world dependant on a balance of order and chaos; they shalt not directly control the destinies of mortals like the Maker would when awake, nor would they allow mortals to run amok without consequence, like the Maker would when asleep. Some of the Celestials and Gods proposed to create controlled conflict among themselves, a petty squabble here, a messy fight there, to inspire people to innovate and advance, an eternal race with no set winner, so that mortals did not stagnate as they were.

The tribes of the founding races spread out across the barren wastes and their Gods worked together to fill it with natural wonders, lush vegetation, and minerals to make tools and buildings. The tribes lived in harmony until a strange seed of corruption fell from the heavens. The Homani, a tribe of primate-like beings, found it and were driven mad, and they began waging war with the other tribes. Empowered by the corruption, the others were no match, and many races were wiped out. With no worshippers to empower them, their Gods lost power and eventually died, as well.

The tribes of the Alfar worked with their cousins, the Sylvan Enclave, and their Makers, to form new planetoids out of debris floating around the cosmos, which each race would escape on, leaving the Homani behind, and allowing the surviving civilizations to repopulate uninterrupted on each of their own homeworlds, among their own solar system on the opposite side of the galaxy.

Eons passed, and on the Homani homeworld, they would somehow continue to evolve, despite turning on one another with nobody else to fight, banding together in warring groups. Any God that tried to reach out to help them overcome corruption was captured, subjugated, and exploited for their power until they crumbled and faded into nonexistence. An incident occured, one the Fates would rather forget, caused the Seed of Corruption to be removed from the world, leaving millions dead in its wake.

Fast-foward to the modern day, the Homani had evolved into a near-hairless race of sapient primates, with varying levels of intelligence and civilization from area to area. Some lived simpler lives in the countryside, some lived in vast metropoli. Even without the Seed of Corruption, many still waged war with one another, and others did their best to squash out acts of cruelty against each other. The gods and magic were all but forgotten, with the Homani relying on inventions powered by natural resources, and imaginary false gods to inspire them to crush their enemies and advance their tribes.

That was, until a Daemon with powers of prophecy foresaw the Seed of Corruption's return, and for the first time in eons, broke the Fates' pact to leave the Homani alone. Referring to itself solely as "Chaos", the Daemon made a pact with a mortal Homani to protect Avatars of the Gods who would come to the world and prepare for the Seed's coming, and the attempts of power-hungry Homani leaders to capture them and abuse their powers.

Other Daemons, and their angelic cousins, the Daeva, sought to stop Chaos' interference and let destiny play out naturally, creating their own agents to try and destroy Chaos' servant. However, Chaos' new avatar quickly adapted to the power of foresight and used them to evade or circumvent any situation that saw him fail. He even married one of the women he swore to protect, had demigod children with her, and made friends and allies that together, formed a band of warriors dedicated to keeping the Homani's destiny out of the hands of celestials and fiends alike.

One day, something stirred deep within the cosmos, a ripple in the fabric of reality that snatched all populated worlds in the galaxy, and smashed them into one another. Chaos' avatar, now in his senior years, knew that this would be the first sign of the Seed of Corruption's return. He would not live to see the war begin, but his grandchildren would, among them, new agents of the Fates would be Championed, and as many of the various peoples wage war over scare resources after the calamity, to save all existence as they knew it, they would have to unite the survivors together on their new shared world, Nibiru, or in the tongue of the Adonaites, "A World Divided".

THE PEOPLES OF NIBIRU - A SUMMARY OF CIVLIZATION ON A WORLD DIVIDED

Thoughout the story of Necrosi Chronicles, you will interact with the many factions that populate the world of Nibiru. For now, a brief overview of the history and society of the key factions will be described, as well as how they will play on the battlefield.

Homani // Versatile // With versatile units and spellcasters with efficient lumber gathering techs, the Homani are innovative builders and tactical warriors. Their initial defences allow converting Peasants into Militia to defend against raiders. While playing as the Homani, you will learn about the truth behind the Godsfall Incident and recover relics of the technologically advanced societies they had over the ages, hopefully bringing them to a (more peaceful) Golden Age once more, and settling differences with the many strange races they now share a home with. The main cast of the story will be Homani gifted by the Old Gods and the Fates.

Hel'Duvel // Powerhouse // The Orcish are brutal, savage, but also clever, and eager to take more slaves. Expensive and strong, Hel'Duvel units steal resources from enemy buildings, and fortify bulidings with spikes to damage melee attackers. Their ugly half-breed slave caste, the Peons, can enter Bunkers to throw javelins at enemies. The Hel'Duvel are quick to make enemies and invade for what they want, just ask the Homani overseas. But, while the Orcs aren't easy to make allies with, the allies they do make they are loyal to the end for, and any betrayal is never forgiven or forgotten easily.

Zvergar // Versatile // The Dwarvish are known for building fortifications out of mountain quarries and volcanic stone. Their buildings are more durable than those of the Homani, but also more expensive. Zvergar are brilliant miners, with efficient gold gathering and mobile depots for stealthily gathering without having to expand far from their fortified strongholds. The Zvergar are also innovators of recovering and retro-fitting old Homani tech for siegeworks, and map out many cave systems for easier trade routes through their mountain homes, sneaking past their old enemies, the Goliaf.

Goliaf // Powerhouse // The Ogres' buildings are more durable than that of the Hel'Duvel, and many of them have the size and manpower to deal heavy Siege damage to most structures, but being twice as strong as comes with a downside of being half as intelligent, and the Goliaf have limited options for aerial attack or defence. The pitiful runts of the Goliaf aren't strong enough to build settlements properly, so it is up to their warrriors to drag boulders and entire trees and wedge them together, then break for a quick snack of captured Zvergar, then a quick game of football, with a tied up Zverg as the ball.

Solalfbarn // Defensive // The first of the three main species of the Alfar, they are far weaker, employing more fashion over function, and not being as physically durable as other races, but the Sun Elves' magics allow them to recover stamina and even repair structures under the light of day. Being fervent zealots of holiness, their Cleric caste have powerful healers and their Paladins and Crusaders are melee warriors to be reckoned with, especially against undead abominations. They also keep a number of retired and underage militia on hand to defend their cities.

Tungalfbarn // Swarmer // Middle child of main three Alfar factions, the Moon Elves have slightly more health than their cousins, but do not regenerate as quickly. They are spiritualists connected with Nature, and can use spiritual energies to repair buildings cheaply. With superior eyesight, their rangers and towers can snipe across superior distances, and they are cunning in setting traps, or in desperate times, conjuring Sylvan allies to aid them. As such, the Tungalfar protect any and all forests sacred to the Gods and the Fey.

Stjornalfbarn // Versatile // The youngest of the three Alfar, and counterpart to the Sun Elves, the Star Elves are even more fragile in form, though some dare say more splendid, than their rivals. Their armies and buildings regenerate very quickly at night, and can learn to cloak into the darkness of twilight. The Star Elves love all things arcane, and protect their frail armies and architecture with Mana Shields. They have had to deploy anything at their disposal whenever their dabbling in the occult lead them into trouble, as it usually does.

The Undying // Swarmer // Nobody knows where this army of the Undead came from, only that they are a scourge upon the living, conquering nearby territories, depleting all natural resources, and moving on, leaving only ruins behind. They use occult magic to summon buildings, regenerating upon diseased Blight or consuming corpses not fit to create into minions to add to their ranks. Few can escape their icy clutches.

Patrivasarva // Swarmer // The amphibious serpentine folk hate all those that dwell on the surface, but especially harbour a grudge against the Homani and the Alfar so strong, it is woven into their religious scripture that the only way to right the wrongs against their kin are to enslave, destroy and devour them all, such is the destiny they have taken upon themselves. While submerged underwater, the Patriva are able to stealthily move about and ambush enemies, and recover stamina quicker in their submerged state. Their magic isn't particularly strong, but it can hit armies across vast areas.

Morknisse // Subversive // A sect of the Star Elves' mage guilds once made pacts with a creature from the Great Dark Beyond, and became thralls to its power. Now servants of warped eldritch powers, these mutant Dark Elves struggle to exist in a solid reality; they will slowly degrade without remaining near some sort of conduit to empower them from the Void. During the nighttime, the Dark Elves are extremely dextrous and lethal, striking from the shadows and warping back to their base before reinforcements can arrive. They are often hunted by Star Elves trying to cover up their misdeeds.

Nanoslaikos // Subversive // Cousins of the Zvergar, and even shorter to boot, the Gnomish are pioneers in Magitechnology, instead of emulating the Homani's wondrous contraptions, they create their own, and can magically warp them in from their home city. It is cheaper in the long run to do this, but it takes a while to perfectly warp in a structure. Like the Tungalfar, Nanos Engineers can restore buildings with Mana, and their Arcane Siloes restore life and mana to nearby troops. The "halflings'" initial troops are fragile, but their engineers' contraptions, and the elemental spirits bound by their magi, are very powerful.

Dzudzesta // Power-Subversive // Goblins, Gremlins, in some cases Lunch, the races of Nibiru have many names for these pesky Halflings. Nobody knows for sure where they come from, but some say they originated from a crossbreed of Hel'Duvel orcs and some Gnomish slaves. Dzestas are just as intelligent as the Nanoslaikos, but have a fraction of the attention span, and when they forget what they were doing, their projects often explode. Like the Zvergar, they have been scavenging pre-Calamity Homani tech and attempting to build their own ballistic technology, with frightening results. Dzesta tech is cheap and fragile, but chews any careless army in range to pieces, and all the chemicals stored in their mechs and structures tend to violently self-destruct when the structural integrity fails.

Lup'omul // Versatile // A tribe of Wolf-men cursed by the Warrior Goddess of the Hunt, the Lup'omul are half savage man-eating monsters, and half guilt-ridden redemption-seekers trying to maintain a "civilized" society. The usually asocial and aloof "Lupoes", when forced to band together, harbour a mystical contingency enchantment that makes them stronger when backed into a corner together. Two Lupo fighting back-to-back for their lives are worth three soldiers, Three desperate Lupo are worth five, and so forth. Lupo who embrace their curse gain ever stronger the more of their enemies' hearts they devour, until they eventually go feral and have to be executed for the safety of others. Some of the less decent kin have been studying Shadow Arts and employing themselves as assassins.

Aynbehdad // Subversive // Former cousins to the Lup'omul, these "dog-faced runts", as they're often referred to by their former brethren, share a similar curse, but they are not affected by it as strongly, nor are they as shameful about devouring men alive. They also have a magical pack boon, where they will fight harder the more tight their formations, but to make up for their lack of strength compared to the tundra-dwelling Man-Wolves, the desert-dwelling Jackals and Hyenas set traps around their important structures, and paint sacred sites with camoflauge to make them difficult to locate and raid.

Fiadhaich // Subversive // The keepers of the land take the form of sapient beasts and spirit guardians. The Feyfolk abhor artifice and so tend to maintain their distance from civilization, but have close tied with their cousins, the Moon Elves. Fey "buildings" consist of sentient tree-like beings that uproot to relocate when sacred groves are in danger, or to replenish a land destroyed by war and disaster. The spirits will mass into Willow-wisps to form the cores of the Grove Trees, which then gently ease resources out of surrounding terrain for use. A few mortal allies who wish to become nature spirits serve alongside the Sylvan enclaves, often preaching overpopulation of civlization to any cities they encounter, and they will aid the Sun Elves in exterminating the undead, as in the case of their cousins...

Sluagh-Marbh // Swarmer // These "Haunted" Sylvan warriors were corrupted when they found a magical crystal hidden deep under the earth, and were tainted with Undeath. They walk a line between true Undead and spirits of nature, embodying natural decay, building grim monuments to the eventual ruins of all socieities. Like the Undying, they only recover from wounds while on Blighted terrain, and they store the dead at their bases of operations to raise as temporary reinforcements when assaulted. The Sluagh use lethal toxins and vicious plagues to overwhelm enemies' defences, but being disconnected from natural ley-lines, and not yet used to dark ley-lines, their ability to recover magical energies is stifled, at best.

Tanniyn // Defensive // Former servants of the Dragon Lords, now a free people, the Tanniyn are initially fragile people with thick, scaly natural armour. The Great Dragons have all but died out with their cousins having gone feral over the millenia. The Tanniyn have been adapted to war for eons as before the Calamity, they were constantly invaded by their enemy, the fungal-like Gentemicelio, who would not stop spreading spores in the direction of their home once all natural resources were exhausted. The "Tannies" utilize the powers of their draconic ancestors to burn away the Micelio's spores, while also afflicting their allies and enemies with energy that amplifies restoration or devestation wrought by magic. The last gift of the Tanniyn is a boon of great might that only persists until one is wounded. A Tannie that strikes first, only need strike twice, one to knock you down, one to knock you out.

Gentemicelio // Swarmer // Jungle-dwelling mushroom men, sometimes referred to as Trolls, the Micelio themselves are actually the giant fungal growths referred to as their "cities", while the "citizens" are the humanoid monstrosities that emerge to protect them. Natural-born leeches, Trolls and their structures can regenerate quickly, and they have a shamanistic religion based on sacrificing units to invoke spiritual powers, overwhelming enemies by using divination to sniff out their weaknesses, then invading with an army of conjured minions. Much of what the Micelio do on a day to day can be referred to by the Homani as "Voodoo" or "Witchcraft".

Xiong'ren // Defensive // Calm, peaceful lovers of nature, the Xiong'ren are a race of bear men most notable by their black and white hides. They are large and bulky individuals, but surprisingly swift of foot, even able to outpace Alfar rangers, and have incredible eyesight, which they use to search for food or ingredients. Xiong'ren are clever brewers and alchemists, but also fierce warriors when their homes are threatened. For the longest time, they have only used martial arts and wooden staves to defend themselves, but with tides of war flowing their way, the Xiong'ren have resorted to using metal to create lethal weapons and durable armour to compliment their abdominal padding as a shock absorber. The Xiong are also masters of stealth and camoflauge, sometimes rendering entire villages invisible to enemy intruders, and sacred herbal tea to recover swiftly from injury, but due to short supply it is rationed out from the Imperial Palace.

Avulu'patriva // Powerhouse // These enormous, bovine folk are initially slow and docile, but extremely durable, and have been known to fight entire packs of enemies alone or in small groups, as by invoking earth spirits they only get stronger as they come to harm. The Avulu are highly reputed shaman with knowledge of Jotun Runes, an art that the kingdoms of the Zverg and the clans of the Goliaf used to have, but have since been lost. By invoking these runes and the earth spirits, the Avulu have managed to keep to their secluded selves for the longest time, never fully settling in one place, and packing up when it is time to migrate. However, a recent incident occured when an Avulu tribe moved into a pasture of Xiong'ren tea farmers, and when the herds devoured the current Emperor's sacred coronation Tea, he declared the cows ousted from his lands. The Avulu, however, are not cattle so easily tipped.

While these are the primary forces about to clash across the world, there are other creatures waiting to be discovered across Nibiru and the Planes.
The Daeva who once served the Maker, and the Daemons who incite Chaos to maintain the balance of Order and Entropy,
The Primordials who watched the juvenile world come to be, the Unknown Things that existed long before history began...
Agents of higher powers seek Champions to lead the story to its conclusion.

We who await between the walls
We who await to end it all
All that you know, all that you are
We will tear it apart and leave you afar

Who will sing the end the world?
Such a beautiful song
Such a beautiful night
We await this night
We will sing the song
The song to end the world

Through this shattered world
Through our blackened eyes
Through this cursed fate
Through this world's revise

We serenade the end
With the beat that you all know
The heart beat of the earth
The song of the soul

In a palace of tortured glass
Served by legions forged,
From the tears of sleepless death
And clad in armor carved,
From the suffering of our Brother,

In our right hand we hold a dead star
And in our left hand we hold the candle whose light is shadow
Our left hand is stained with the blood of R̴̺̪̳͓͍̼̔͊̏͑̇̀͠ö̶̫͂̑s̴̠̊͘ͅy̸͇̞̠̦̖̮̗̻̽̈́̂͊̿̇͑̽n̷̼̱̙̣̙͎̜͂͛̔͗̎̊ ̸̰̠̳̓̇̍͐͜T̵̝̩͚̔̃̐͋̒̐̀͝ẏ̵̮͍͈̖͚̬̌̉l̸͓͚͍̗͙̗͐̆̎̍̏̏̂̏ͅw̴͇̥̹͎̮̞̳̠̽͊̅̾̚͝ę̴͍̰̪̞̼̄̒͊͒̃͝͝t̸̛̖̝͓͇̋̒ȟ̵̡̧͉͙͕͗
Our seven mouths speak in different tongues
And the seventh tongue shall sing the song that ends the Earth

We come

Last edited: