• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

My terrains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
My terrains (Swamp fixing try)

I have just started terraining seriously for my Skull Island project (King Kong you know?) And here's some pics of forest and swamp I made... So what you think about them and what I should do to make them look more realistic?
PS: Models by olofmoleman
Warcraft3Forest.JPG

Warcraft3Forest2.JPG

Warcraft3Forest3.JPG

Warcraft3Swamp1.JPG Warcraft3Swamp1Fixed.JPG

Warcraft3Swamp2.JPG Warcraft3Swamp2Fixed.JPG

Last edited:
Level 7
They are nice but use less seaweed, more heigh variation on and around cliffs, and put the "Viny Plant" in the forest.

Level 7
He used the cliffs to give te effect of "Skull Island" in King Kong.. You know how it has the hugass cliffs?

Level 13
In the last terrain I did I created a new effect that I thought looked pretty awesome for a swamp. First create a new doodad, and change the model to this
Code:
Abilities\Spells\NightElf\MoonWell\CorruptedMoonWellTarget.mdl
then go into your swamp terrain and add little holes where the water is deeper using the lower tool. Finally place the doodad you just created in these little holes to create a murkey water effect.
Looks Like this in the end (the green areas in the water):

Attachments

• mushroomislezm6.jpg
    mushroomislezm6.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 98
Level 25
Wasn't skull Island more Jungle than forest and swamp?
GOOD:
Tile variation is pretty good for a beginner terrainer. For a bnet map, I suppose the forest is pretty typical to what you usually see in most Bnet maps, but a bit better.
BAD:
Swamp is just horrible, I'm sorry to say it. It can be greatly improved if you added maybe white-fog effect in it and had some lilly-pads, alot of river rushes instead of those seaweed things, and maybe some swampy looking rocks. The jungle looks more like a forest because of the old warcraft III style tree placement. But you can hide it's flaws if you add vines hanging from some trees and more bushes and vines everywhere. Terrain is very flat too and in some spots you have hills that look like pointy-things :p
Make more hills and make them better than the ones you have already.
For a beginner terrainer though, it doesn't look SO horrible, but I'm only saying that because it can be fixed. If you don't make an effort to fix the terrain, it's gonna be a disaster...
Overall: 4.3/10

Level 7
I'll try to fix them more... I don't like that tree placement too but it's difficult to fix all of the trees because the jungle is BIG... I can't find all the flaws there. Why didn't I just use custom tree models... And I'll try to do something to those hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.