• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

My mic doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Well, I'm guessing the solution to my problem is really simple, but I can't seem to get my mic working. It's ordinary, mic-looking, with an on-off switch. I connect it to my computer (that pink port, right?), I turn it on (some sound is produced when I'm doing both those things), but the mic isn't working when I test it.

Any ideas? (+rep for helping, blabla)

Level 9
Well, I'm guessing the solution to my problem is really simple, but I can't seem to get my mic working. It's ordinary, mic-looking, with an on-off switch. I connect it to my computer (that pink port, right?), I turn it on (some sound is produced when I'm doing both those things), but the mic isn't working when I test it.

Any ideas? (+rep for helping, blabla)

Before you get into elaborations, you may want to check these options:

1. Ensure it works physically; your port being plugged as pink seems to be correct.
2. If that seems to be not the case (most likely if it was new). When testing it, you should be going to the Control Panel, then to Sound and Audio Devices, then to the Voice tab where you can test it.

Give it a few minutes to configure, then it will take you to where you can do the microphone test. Before talking with correct protocols however, go to the Volume on the recording section, then at bottom select Microphone where it will be ticked. Exit and try doing it again.

3. Read documentation for the microphone, it may tell you what you may need, such as a driver (most unlikely) or other requirements as such.

If you still have trouble please reply back; my microphone seems to work fine even after 4 years.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ht1.JPG
    ht1.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 154
Level 13
Ok, this is the part where it gets screwed up: it works when I connect it to my laptop, but it doesn't work on my computer.

The mic didn't come with any software or instructions (my dad said so, he seemed sure so I should probably believe him).

I already had a crappy mic connected to that port which worked fine.

EDIT: I just listened to the recordings I made....I can hear them, but the sound is so low that it's not even visible as waves....on the laptop it worked fine, and my previous mic worked fine....I have all the volume settings to max. Is there any other way I can increase the mic volume?

Level 9
My mic woks on other pc, but not on my laptop. tt

It might have something to do with inside built mic. (interrigated or something)

Not sure about it, but before I continue get it checked by a computer expert or adviser, to check if it works or not. I think it may be on the laptop's port, probably problematic inside. My headphones with microphone works fine both sound and recording.

Level 9
Enable microsoft microphone boost... somewhere.

That doesn't do much, it just goes onto the speaker which sounds damn loud. Good suggestion though.

Tough, if it works in your desktop computer then why doesn't it work on the laptop. Try another microphone (if you can) and test the microphone, I can say that my headphones with microphone is starting to get erratic.

Status
Not open for further replies.