• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

my first WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
EDIT: my first completed model

so i saw this tauren mailbox on hive and was surprised that there was no orc mailbox. as it wouldnt require any animations then i decided, that maybe i should make my first model ever. i made the basics on 3dsmax9, finished it on mdlvis (english version) and polished on magos. i exported the wow textures and reduced their size by 75%. after really hard work i got it done (well, its my first). i have the original .obj model if you dont believe me. just pm me for it.

attachment.php

but since it uses USED edited wow textures, then im not allowed to upload it here. i started to REDO - no copy paste at all, not even a pixel - ALL of the skin. some parts i drew pixel by pixel, some i just smudged and darkened/lightened (the color, no part of the wow texture). im doing it on gimp. i just keep the original (wow) texture next to my own and look occasionally what color to use and so on (but i dont even pick color from wow texture). im about 80% 100% done. but it is really depressing when i put so much work into it and noone really wont believe that i didnt rip it just off wow, since im not known around the hive (or any other place to be precise).

(to make a better difference right click on picture and open "view picture" in new tab, if you have firefox then you can either CTRL and "minus" or CTRL and scroll in; or copy it into bitmap or whatever, if you want to)

reduced size wow texture:
attachment.php

my texture:
attachment.php

all in all its 35.1kb
my question is: should i work on it the last 20% or screw everything and give up as always... let it be my last first unfinished model?

EDIT: 100%done

Attachments

• mailbox.JPG
    mailbox.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 326
  • POSTBOXORC2smallminu.png
    POSTBOXORC2smallminu.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 292
  • POSTBOXORC2small.png
    POSTBOXORC2small.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
I think it was a bad idea of you to use the same texture layout as the wow one, that is mostly what's making it look suspicious. There was also no need for you to make it basically exactly the same, you could have changed the location of the folds slightly, used different tears, and most of all discluded the chain and used the ingame one that is almost better.

If this indeed is your model, wich i have no reason to doubt, i congratulate you. Cracka will be very happy. ;)
Good work, and very accurate!

EDIT: If you want me to give the cloth a little animation, as if it was touched by a breize or something, i wouldn't mind helping.

Hmm.. sounds a bit fishy to me.
I have done a lot of textures though my time that are more or less based on references like yours, but if i'd put your replica on top of the wow original, there wouldn't be a single difference. No one can do that without keeping the original as a below layer, or even simply painting right on top of it.
The model is still very nice though, and i hope it is not ripped itself. But i do recommend you to make a real texture of your own. I have seen this before; when people immediately try their hardest to claim that the skin is not a rip, it shows out it is infact so.

Level 14
i did keep the original at hand as another layer, so i would draw it myself, but at the same time make it more or less perfectly. maybe i just shouldnt upload it at all. since i dont think that im able to really create a texture any time soon. well at least this model was a breakthrough anyway for me. i found a use for my 3dsmax and i learned a lot.

Ok, well.. I'm still not sure how this should go, but i do think you should upload the model.
Sorry for the sudden rude tone there, i'm glad you learned something, and modeling by a reference like this one is a very nice way to do so.

Thanks for the rep by the way!
Unfortunately i need 10 more before i get my next gem. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.