• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

My First Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Ive was bored and looked at some pro terrains and thought: That looks goddam dificult to make... hmm ill try make one myself.
After a 15 min time i was done.
This is what i came up whit:

View attachment MyFirstTerrain.w3x
You can also view the terrain ingame.
To change to diferent modes to see from use the commands:
(dont use any "-" or some thing, just the numbers.)

Folowed Craka_J's sugestion and made a forest:
Skov1.jpgSkov2.jpgSkov3.jpgSkov4.jpgSkov5.jpg
Remmember that this is my first try's, im not a pro terrainer (yet? lol)

Last edited:
Level 24
Umm could you post some screenies first so we could get a little sight of what your making first and a little tip to u and others, dont create a thread with title: my first terrain (for example my first *text*).
Doesnt sound very promising then and especially if you dont add screenshots.
Dont take this offending its more a tip to make it look more professional and to get more ppl looking at ur threads! :wink:

Level 34
Please, please, please!!! Use the import manager on the site. It's so much better than hosting on ImageShack.

Well, it needs a ton of work. No tile variation to start with. Try adding in a dirt tile that would suit the sand. Maybe throw in some grassy dirt.

A good technique is to take rock spires, clump a few, add a tree or two in amongst them or around them, and then add shrubs and viney plants to it all.

You need to add a fog. Probably a white one. Maybe light green or light yellow.

Add a ton more doodads. Don't be scared to use too many.

Level 24
Hmm looks kinda wierd, cus the terrain doesnt really make sense!
Where does the waterfalls come from?
Does it just pop out of the ground all the sudden?
Remember when making terrain that if you have a logic explanation it looks better and can help you out continue on your terrain!
For example always make the water fall out some place, water just doesnt come in and stays there, it flows down!
So when making waterfalls i suggest you make it fall down from a high mountain and doesnt just pop out of the ground like a volcano.

Heres 3 tips:
Dont mass shrubs or make doodads to close togheter, make terrain with logic sense (wet swamps doesnt have cherry trees for example) and variate with tiles, dont only use a single tile.

Level 34
Don't listen to Nudl9!! Mass doodads!

JK, but I do think too many doodads usually looks better than too little.

Level 25
Making good waterfall terrains are hard work. I suggest you try working on something more simple like maybe a jungle, river, or a pond even. My best made waterfall was probably this one:
Terrain6.JPG

~Craka_J

Last edited:
Level 34
He was just giving the starter of the thread an idea. Don't see how he hijacked the thread.

Level 25
Just giving a good example of a well made waterfall. I don't mean to brag, but that is a good waterfall, and I just so happened to make it. :p

Hopefully by viewing the image I uploaded, he/she will get a better idea on how to make a good water fall terrain; though for now I recommend he should work on easier stuff before tackling things like that.

I did not at all intend to "hijack" this thread. Just helping people out in anyway I can: It's my job as a moderator to do so.
~Craka_J

Level 8
Humour +1?

Seriously, not very good terraining mister sausage. Not at all actually. More doodads, less magic flying rocks etc etc.
And just what is that supposed to be anyway? An island?

Status
Not open for further replies.