• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Music Contest #5 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

music.png
contest.png
number.png
5.png

results.png

iYu64K.jpg

Futuristic
Create a music piece, which expresses the futuristic theme whether it is an action oriented or a discovery oriented one. Feel free to push the boundaries.

prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points an award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

• 5 reputation points for each contestant

entries.png

Video provided by deepstrasz.

judges.png

• deepstrasz

contest%20judging.png

Theme: the song doesn't merge with the thematic but it doesn't run away from it. It keeps close contact.
13/15

Creativity/Originality: apart from basically holding on to three chords, it has at least four layers of instrumentation. The sounds have an electronic vibe which sets them apart from normal humanly instruments.
8/10

Dynamism/Tonation: it doesn't have all musical tones and it doesn't need to. A combination of low and high pitched sounds can be heard in what the bass and the keys are concerned.
10/10

Composition: there's nothing not to flow well although the song is mainly composed of two parts that are repeated two times. There's also some silence at the end that might have been shortened.
10/15

Total=41

Theme: as far as the music being fit to the right spot is concerned, this song dances with it, at least for the most part.
12/15

Creativity/Originality: four chords is the standard for most musical pieces. However, this song impresses through its many shifts. There are enough instruments but those that detune are somewhat abusively used.
7/10

Dynamism/Tonation: what's there to write other than that it's absolutely harmony whether detuned sounds are making their way to the listener's ears combined with bass and percussion or a soothing piano is heard.
10/10

Composition: the twists and breaks in this musical piece are varied and thus tend to keep the ears away from the raging detuned instruments. A bonus might be that it can make the hearer want to move. The song starts as it ends and there's no silence afterwards. However, an uninvited chip rings instead.
14/15

Total=43

Theme: the song has the idea to first introduce the listener to a calm earthly vibe while only after to transcend into what the author considered futurism. However, the prelude occupies too much time, the song needs to actually fill in for the theme.
8/15

Creativity/Originality: the instrumentation is very diverse but most of it doesn't give the impression of a far future world.
6/10

Dynamism/Tonation: sounds are harmonical and the presence of low and high pitched sounds is vivid.
10/10

Composition: it has a long intro and a well made transition to the period of interest that speeds up. Finally comes back to Earth on the same melodic line. The end is not without a short pause of silence.
10/15

Total=34

Theme: it really tries to get there but at the same time be simplistic.
13/15

Creativity/Originality: the sounds are up for the challenge although they pretty much follow one road. The difference between this song and the others is that it includes voice FX (including animalic ones) which is a plus for creativity.
7/10

Dynamism/Tonation: everything in terms of soundness is appropriate. There is variety, no doubt.
10/10

Composition:
apart from some bridges and breakdowns, it's mostly a long buildup. It gets monotonous fast if listened to it on repeat. The little seconds of silence at the end are nothing to worry about.
7/15

Total=37

Theme: here the thematic is met with the way the sounds are placed together, not so much by the instruments themselves.
12/15

Creativity/Originality: the sounding is quite different from what a normal melody would be like but, the betrayal is made by the introductory percussion which has no impressive rhythm and reminds of tribalism. However, later their rhythm becomes interesting.
7/10

Dynamism/Tonation: nothing negative to mention. The song has everything: instruments, pitches and whatnot. There's nothing really to bore although some might find the two breakdown clash sounds annoying.
10/10

Composition: well, there are: buildup, breakdowns, transitions and such. However, the song is focusing mainly on one melodic line (the same four chords). Quite a few seconds of silence at the end are present.
10/15

Total=39

Theme: it's not entirely futuristic but has some influences. It could be called a romantic futurism attempt.
10/15

Creativity/Originality: there aren't too many instruments but they do their job well keeping harmony. Alas, they tend to make frequent recurrences. The chords change some many times. The voice-over is unintelligible and kind of sits as background noise especially because it's present in many parts.
6/10

Dynamism/Tonation: loud notes, soft notes, low pitched and high pitched, percussion with that too plus SFX. What more should there be?
10/10

Composition: somewhat not monotonous as there are key changes, breakdowns & transitions, the song follows the same mood from start to end.
10/15

Total=36

If anyone feels some of the judging is not correct, please speak your mind.

Scoring formula: J1/50*75 + Pv/Ptot*25 = Score

mc5-results-png.253315

mc5winn-png.253316

Contest | Poll

I deeply apologize for my mistake on the calculations. Everything is fixed and ready to roll now.

Level 4
Congratulations to the winners! It has been an interesting contest and I really liked the results. I look forward to the next contest. :)

I apologize to everyone in advance. There are some mistakes that I've made with this. Rewards will be delivered once I've fixed them.

Thread has been opened and mistakes fixed. See the first post to understand what has transpired.
I knew it! I was about to comment about this little incident.

Level 19

Are you foreshadowing again for futuristic concept? :p

I hope you guys had fun and no hard feelings :D

And ofc not, judges are to be unbiased at all costs. No one should have hard feelings unless s/he feels their music is unnecessarily underrated but the results are very close anyways.

Level 16
lol i forgot to complete and submit my opinions lol but i'll post it anyway

To make it easier and funner to listen to the final entries, there's this mini-marathon video (like in the old days):
i have my opinions and comments :)

the first part of the music felt like it was a walk in a mystic forest, didn't quite get the vibe of futuristic feeling. However, during the crescendo, this is the part where it gets interesting, especially the vibe and the introduction of the bass. During 2:39, The transitions of the tones sounded too much like a "wah-wah" effect. If i were to compare the theme of the music to a videogame, i'd say they reminded me of a modernized 90s space videogame, especially with the emphasis of the highs. A special mention to the use of the Piano, they provide a nice combo with the bass at 2:31. The way the music ended was sort of cut and didn't get me a good outro, like a smooth drive to a road then a sudden stop. However, even as i pointed these out, the music is still a very nice piece to listen to and is definitely worthy of the title of "Unexpected Journey"

In the intro, the sudden introduction of the drums added to the buildup nicely, but it lacked variations in range. The introduction of the high tone provided the assistance though. At 7:17, is the part i liked, which persisted for long, it has smooth transitions of the dynamics and didn't provided more pieces. The outro was nice with the gradual lower of the volume, leaving the drums who started the piece to end it nicely.
overall, it is a good music with not much dynamics and instruments, like a good flavored vanilla.
it fits in a futuristic theme, but not in space.

the intro, how should i say, reminded me of a romance music which, is a good one. But the sudden change of tempo made me think of a futuristic. anime music (this was incomplete)

Status
Not open for further replies.