• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Multi-Map Multiplayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Never tried this, but is it possible to link several maps, like in TFT Orc Campaign, but so that would work in multiplayer? Sorry if that is a too noobish question... :xxd:

Level 15
I thought to try smth like taking data of all players into game cache then use Load map (or how's that function called), unload game cache, etc. without making a campaign.

Level 9
Couldn't you use a save and load system for More than one map and use the same cache and stuff? Just would be complicated because your would have different RAW codes for each item and so on. But might be possible it you just change the terrain of one map and use the same items and heroes and so on.

Level 9
Game Cache works in multiplayer. The problem just is when you close the map, the Game Cache is deleted. So we cant use them to save characters.

Only in singleplayer/campaigns they arent deleted when the map is closed.

Level 15
I was planning to make rather large RPG, so codes difenitely ain't a variant =\
Will have to do some experiments with game cache i think =)

there are many maps that can load codes made from others.
like Defiance ORPG, i guess...
u create your hero in the map X
you train it, get items, abilities, etc...
then you can load it in the map X whenever you wanna play again...
but if you wanna play in another continent, you can load this char in the map Y, and the load/save system being the same, the character will be loaded anyways

Level 15
as i said, code is not an option for me, 'cos if i'll make a project of several linked maps, i'll make sure to fill it with a lot of different spells and items so that it doesnt become boring. Code just would be too difficult to 'uncode', no?

I hope it is posible to make code for completed quests, kill statistics etc too?..
As far as i know, that would only require a boolean. (True/False, which in any case could be a 0 or a 1)
and really, code is your only option because game caches would be unable to save and load with a different map. As far as I know, at least.

Level 18
You can't link maps like campaigns for battle.net maps..

So the only way is via save/load codes, like in many RPG's
As someone already said, Ragos RPG used that.

BUT the big problem is, that if you make a map with save/load and later you decide to make another map with furhter spells, quests or whatever you like.. you need to have ALL stuff that was in the first map.. But that should be clear.. if you play and save a Hero, then you can't load it in another map when it doesn't contain that Hero.. clear, or? :D

Level 15
Well, that gonna be quite a chunk of work... i hope there is some programm to code/uncode all that stuff? i fear to imagine myself doing all that manually... =D

Status
Not open for further replies.