• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Modeling Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I am sure u are reading this Chriz, but in case you cant help me after my PM i am going to start this topic:

Hi, ive just started modelling. Spend about 7 hours trying to create something simple and still couldn’t make anything decent.
So i have few questions:
  • Are there any detailed, informing tutorials for me? (animation, how to give different collors to different parts of the model)
    I am using Max 5.0 and Blizzard art tools
  • Ive made a sphere and AutoGrind few Cones on it, nothing special, but the models is over 120 kb !!! :eek: How can i reduce the size?
  • Ive tried to create an energy ball but all ive got is a sphere with some cheap tealcolors :( How do i use W3 textures?
  • Can i make it look like a wisp from W3?
  • Where can i get a path from W3 textures?
  • How do i change a path in 3D max?

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I edited your post a bit to make it more structured and easier to read. Also, don't excessively use ! and ? in your title, it won't help at all, and is against the rules.

1. There are tutorials on www.wc3campaigns.net about modeling and animation. Most are very useful. Here is also a good one: http://www.fulgrim.com/hubb/index.php/topic,1619.0.html

2. How many poly's does it have? Something simple shouldn't be that large in size.

3. You have to get a program like the WCIII Viewer, or Magos Model Editor, and extract the texture you want from there. Then convert it to .tga format and apply it to your model.

4. A wisp is actually just made up of a series of billboarded planes and team glow, no real model whatsoever.

5. Look at the path of the texture in the model it is applied to. (using Magos.)

6. You don't change the path in 3DsMax, you change the path of the mdx after it is exported for Warcraft.

Note: Any of the programs I have mentioned are linked in the sticky in this forum. Look there to find and use them.

Level 10
Tnx, there are still some questions thought
1. Where can i check the poly rate?
2. Would it help if i cut and mirrow the model?
3. billboarded planes? how does that work?
4. If u check the model section u see the latest IonCannonBeam model. How can i make such a lighting? How can i make a model see though, transparent.
5. I ment how do i change the path of the skin that is attached to the model. (In 3d max, no extra software)

TDR

TDR

Level 18
  1. If by that you mean polycount, then go to the utilities tab in the command panel (that little hammer icon), from there click on "More..." and from the pop-up select "Polygon counter". That'll tell you what you need to know.
  2. a lot. Though it's better if you use the symmetry modifier and work with show end result on.
  3. billboarded planes are planes that are always facing the camera. For example if you have a plane with a circle drawn on it, it would give the illusion of a sphere. To make something billboarded, go to user property editor and from the Generic Object Properties rollout chose full billboarding. The result will only be visible in the wc3 viewer though.
  4. To make a model see through, you can either edit the alpha channel of the texture to make any degree of transparency that you want (black means full transparency and white opaque; tones of gray would be semi-transparent). When you use that kind of texture in a wc3 material, you have to check 2 sided alpha or full alpha (can't remember exactly, but it's one of them). Or if you want to achieve a ghost-like glowing effect, like the ghost of that deer dude with wooden hand, you chose "Additive" (I think) instead of that alpha thing. This works with any kind of texture.
  5. You can't do that from 3ds max, you have to convert the exported mdx to mdl and change the path manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.